User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Mainecoons OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Highway 200 in Mexico south of Acalpulco

Theoretically, one can ride Mexico highway 200 all the way to Guatemala. We have a group of 7 bikes who are riding to the Yucatan from the Lake Chapala (Jalisco) area and discussing different routes back.

One of the routes would have us visit San Cristobal de Las Casas and then drop down to pick up highway 200 at Arriaga.

Has anyone ridden this stretch of road? It looks pretty remote, are there places to eat and stay between Juchitan and Acapulco?

Any suggestions about riding highway 200 in this area appreciated. We are more familiar with the road north of Acapulco.
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Not realy sure what info you are after, but I came from San Cristobul and rode North on 200 last month. I though the run from Salina Cruz North had a little of everything.The towns of Hualtulco and Puerto Escondido were good touristy beach towns. North of Escondido things turned a little rougher around the edges though there were plenty of towns with gas and food, I didn't get the urge to linger in any of them.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Bienvenido Jaliscience a Advrider.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
Mainecoons OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
Not realy sure what info you are after, but I came from San Cristobul and rode North on 200 last month. I though the run from Salina Cruz North had a little of everything.The towns of Hualtulco and Puerto Escondido were good touristy beach towns. North of Escondido things turned a little rougher around the edges though there were plenty of towns with gas and food, I didn't get the urge to linger in any of them.
That's the info I'm looking for. The ride is good and interesting from Arriaga to Puerto Escondido? Did you stop overnight in this section and if so, where?

How long did it take you to go from Puerto Escondido to Acapulco? Did you stop anywhere in this section overnight? Looks like it would be hard to do this all in one stretch. We were thinking we could find something overnight in Pinotepa Nacional, which seems to be the only town of any size on this stretch. It looks like section of the 200 is mostly inland away from the beach.

Thanks for your insights and suggestions! We want to try and ride from San Cristobal down to Route 200 at Arriaga and then north on 200 to Tecoman.
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,734
From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by severely View Post
MY wife and I were strongly advised by the civil defence forces to not continue our journey south on 200 mex south about 70/75 miles south of Techoman. As there had been a Canadian couple robbed at gunpoint yesterday afternoon around 1/2 Pm. Just thought. I'd give a shout out to fellow inmates.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
tam162
Two wheel Terry

Oddometer: 20
Salina Cruz to Acapulco

Last April I spent the night in Salina Cruz and left there about 6:00AM. I ate breakfast in Puerto Escadido made a few gas stops and a stop for lunch then continued on to Acapulco for the night arriving well before dark. Nice ride with lots of fuel and eating opportunities along the way.
tam162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I can comment on 200 South of Alcupulco starting at Puerto Escondido. It is a fantastic ride! I picked up 200 coming out of Oaxaca on 131 and headed South on 200. Leave yourself some time to enjoy the beaches. It's beautiful scenery and very laid back. I ended up riding 200 to Salina Cruz and then 190 to San Cristobal. From there to Palenque and then on to Guatemala to visit Tikal. I was on a mission to visit the two great ruins of Palenque and Tikal.

Safe riding!
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Man Plzn I think maybe you got switched at birth in the hospital. All those positive posts about Mexico, maybe you're a beaner like me.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Man Plzn I think maybe you got switched at birth in the hospital. All those positive posts about Mexico, maybe you're a beaner like me.
Hahahaha....it's the Vino...the Vino!

Hey.. Life is too dayum short to focus on the negative stuff. It's there, here everywhere. I stay alert, understand my surroundings, where I'm heading adapt and deal with it as and if it comes. In the mean time, I'm looking for the GOOD THINGS to enjoy!

My glass typically stays half full whenever possible and if that does not work....
I get a smaller glass

......besides, we have enough people talking about the BAD, no need to add to it. Remember.. We need three elements ....the GOOD, BAD and UGLY. . I will stay on the GOOD side even though I have some bad and ugly I could and have shared.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,167
The last time I rode 200 from P. Escondido to Acapulco, it was hot, tope infested, boring coastal plains ride. Then we entered Acapulco....I would definitely take a different route.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
The last time I rode 200 from P. Escondido to Acapulco, it was hot, tope infested, boring coastal plains ride. Then we entered Acapulco....I would definitely take a different route.
+1
I agree with this statement...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

That is what I HEARD (minus the tope infestation) prior to my trip. In fact, I was informed that areas around Alcupolco where areas to be very careful and aware. Hence, my reason for avoiding it all together. Tourist trap, hot and boring = Avoidance.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
^This, Did the 200 last winter down to Salina Cruz then over to San Cristobal/Palenque then into Guatamala etc. Acapulco traffic wasn't much fun. Also theres a reason for the huge windmill farm down in Salina Cruz so beware of the wind, I saw two tractor trailer rigs get blown over on my way south
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
That's the info I'm looking for. The ride is good and interesting from Arriaga to Puerto Escondido? Did you stop overnight in this section and if so, where?

How long did it take you to go from Puerto Escondido to Acapulco? Did you stop anywhere in this section overnight? Looks like it would be hard to do this all in one stretch. We were thinking we could find something overnight in Pinotepa Nacional, which seems to be the only town of any size on this stretch. It looks like section of the 200 is mostly inland away from the beach.

Thanks for your insights and suggestions! We want to try and ride from San Cristobal down to Route 200 at Arriaga and then north on 200 to Tecoman.
From San Cristobul make sure you take the libre. I spent my nights at Comitan, Salina Cruz, Puerto Escondido and then did a hard day from there to Zihuatanejo. I couldn't think of a good reason to stop at Acapulco so I rode around it on the by pass. I think from Puerto Escondido to Acapulco was around 6 hours
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #15
italiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Puerto escondido to acapulco is 6 hrs, maby less if you fly over the topes.
The road from aca to zihuatanejo is full of topes too is a 2 hrs and 40 min.
The road from puerto escondido to oaxaca is a 6 hrs of amazing curves, then 4 hrs to mexico city then go to valle de bravo and detour to altamirano a go into the sierra to ixtapa 6 hrs from df to ixtapa but is one of the best roads (curves) that you can ride in mexico.
From ixtapa to mansanillo is another day of riding,beatiful places on the beach to stop, and the scenery is awesome.
italiano is offline   Reply With Quote