Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #16
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
Theoretically, one can ride Mexico highway 200 all the way to Guatemala. We have a group of 7 bikes who are riding to the Yucatan from the Lake Chapala (Jalisco) area and discussing different routes back.

One of the routes would have us visit San Cristobal de Las Casas and then drop down to pick up highway 200 at Arriaga.

Has anyone ridden this stretch of road? It looks pretty remote, are there places to eat and stay between Juchitan and Acapulco?

Any suggestions about riding highway 200 in this area appreciated. We are more familiar with the road north of Acapulco.
From experience: I'd watch closely for Pemex stations when riding south of PV on the coast-I bought jug gas in one area after watching the fuel reserve light too long for my comfort.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
Grynch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Aca to Ixtapa

I believe that it will take longer to get from Acapulco to Ixtapa, due to flooding last september. 4 maybe 5 hours. If any of your crew likes to dive Haultulco is a must! San Cristoble the ruins of Pelanque are a must see.
Grynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
z28gh
El Canadiense

Oddometer: 3
Riding from Acapulco to Tapachula (border of Guatemala on highway 200

I have ridden this highway a number of times now and I will tell you that for about 180-200kms south to Puerto Escondido is full of topes (speed bumps), curves and small towns every half a kilometer. After Puerto Escondido, it is ok but has a lot of curves near Zipolite(Puerto Angel, Huatulco, Pochutla) until you get to Salina Cruz. After Salina Cruz, you must pass La Ventosa (35-40 kms of very, very, very strongs winds in which there is a lot of wind turbines). It is interesting to cross but be very careful if the winds are high. I have had to drive as slow as 40-50 kph to maintain stability. Tractor trailers have been blown over a lot. After that, it is basically straight going until Tapachula, Mexico. If you have the time, stop in Zipolite or one of the beaches nearby, it is very cheap, I rented a room for a month for about $165 that was on the beach. Also be very wary when crossing the border into Guatemala, there is a lot of officials, especially on the Guatemalan side who are very corrupt and you will be mobbed by people trying to (help??) you. They are experts on taking your money. I had ten of them who tried to rob me and my wife in the parking lot which is about 50 feet from the Mexican migracion office. Fortunately, I had a whip with me and got out of there unharmed. I have travelled 31 of 32 states in Mexico and can offer some advice if needed. Have fun and be careful.
z28gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #19
z28gh
El Canadiense

Oddometer: 3
Mexico City to Panama

I am interested in driving through to Panama if anyone else is interested. I have done this trip two years ago on a 1993 Yamaha FJ1200 and this time, it will be a 2001 VMax. I have been living here in Mexico City for six months, know a lot of good people in Mexico. I want to leave in the next month or two. If interested, let me know and we can make arrangements, it is good to have company when passing the borders.
z28gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
Mainecoons OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks to everyone for the great information about this route! Let me know if you're going to be in Ajijic, we love biker company.
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote