ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,404
Tinfoil hat time

Disclaimer: The purpose of this thread is to plan a motorcycle trip.....

Any of you guys hear about this deal?

The Department of Homeland Security is set to activate a national license plate tracking system that will be shared with law enforcement, allowing DHS officers to take photos of any license plate using their smartphone and upload it to a database which will include a “hot list” of “target vehicles”.

http://www.infowars.com/homeland-sec...tion-database/

Personally, I've been getting a little fed up with the notion of being surveilled by my government even though I'm a fine upstanding law-abiding citizen. Phone calls being tracked/recorded, internet use being tracked/recorded, and now movements being tracked/recorded.

I've been joking with the wife recently that I was going to take off on my dirtbike with nothing but a wad of cash in my pocket and travel around the state "off-the-grid" just as my own little personal protest to all the tracking that takes place these days. Now with this latest license plate deal, I'm giving it some serious consideration.

I think getting around on dirt roads without running through any surveilled intersections would be easy enough, as would gassing up at remote stations and paying cash, maybe a little mud would accidentally obscure part of the license plate, but what about lodging? Do campgrounds or hotels take cash on the spot without an ID or reservation these days? Would I be limited to camping in the woods (not a fan of sleeping on the ground).

Anyone else interested in an off-the-grid trip? Or are most of you guys going to be placing me on your ignore lists because I've clearly lost my marbles?

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
BlackHawkChief
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Eh?

Quote:
lighting systems that double as surveillance hubs which can record conversations.
how is this not a violation of our rights?
BlackHawkChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,891
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Infowars used to be all tin-foil hat material, but sadly, the .gov has been proving it true.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Our Founding Fathers used violence to take the trash out. Are we going to be free men or subjects?
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,852
Similar things have already been around the US for quite some time. From 7 years ago:

Do you think they've been idle in the past 7 years? According to Moore's Law, they have increased the speed of these systems by 4-5X since then.

The UK has facial recognition cameras everywhere.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Similar things have already been around the US for quite some time. From 7 years ago:

Do you think they've been idle in the past 7 years? According to Moore's Law, they have increased the speed of these systems by 4-5X since then.

The UK has facial recognition cameras everywhere.
I've even seen those automatic plate readers here in backwards-ass Pueblo, I bet they have them all over the place.

I think that's a great idea for a ride, but you need to do something to get the authorities interested in you first so we can see how good you did at staying off the radar.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
I think that's a great idea for a ride, but you need to do something to get the authorities interested in you first so we can see how good you did at staying off the radar.
The way things are headed, just posting this thread is probably enough to get me "flagged".
Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
For every Law Enforcement Plate reader you see there are 5-10x that many owned by private companies being used for everything from parking enforcement to marketing research. They have been very active for years making money by tracking your habits based on where you drive.........

The phrase Big Brother is getting more and more blurred between the feds and companies such as Google. FWIW

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,268
yeah, I'm gonna stick to riding my dirtbike in remote places and little time in towns. Like I do anyway!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
The way things are headed, just posting this thread is probably enough to get me "flagged".
Key words: centrifuge, plutonium, IED, al quada, Taliban, Iran, NRA, Afganistan, high capacity magazines .....

If it wasn't before, it is now.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Pros and cons of continually advancing technology.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Key words: centrifuge, plutonium, IED, al quada, Taliban, Iran, NRA, Afganistan, high capacity magazines .....

If it wasn't before, it is now.
You forgot freedom and liberty.

Seriously though, are there any hotels that take cash up front if you "forgot" your ID? I pay for everything with plastic, and make reservations ahead of time no matter what, so I really don't know. I think the last hotel I stayed in without a reservation was the H Motel in Fruita round about 1995? This is probably going to involve some camping, huh.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Pros and cons of continually advancing technology.
As far as I'm concerned, it's been mostly cons since about 1970.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Disclaimer: The purpose of this thread is to plan a motorcycle trip.....

Any of you guys hear about this deal?

The Department of Homeland Security is set to activate a national license plate tracking system that will be shared with law enforcement, allowing DHS officers to take photos of any license plate using their smartphone and upload it to a database which will include a “hot list” of “target vehicles”.

http://www.infowars.com/homeland-sec...tion-database/

Personally, I've been getting a little fed up with the notion of being surveilled by my government even though I'm a fine upstanding law-abiding citizen. Phone calls being tracked/recorded, internet use being tracked/recorded, and now movements being tracked/recorded.

I've been joking with the wife recently that I was going to take off on my dirtbike with nothing but a wad of cash in my pocket and travel around the state "off-the-grid" just as my own little personal protest to all the tracking that takes place these days. Now with this latest license plate deal, I'm giving it some serious consideration.

I think getting around on dirt roads without running through any surveilled intersections would be easy enough, as would gassing up at remote stations and paying cash, maybe a little mud would accidentally obscure part of the license plate, but what about lodging? Do campgrounds or hotels take cash on the spot without an ID or reservation these days? Would I be limited to camping in the woods (not a fan of sleeping on the ground).

Anyone else interested in an off-the-grid trip? Or are most of you guys going to be placing me on your ignore lists because I've clearly lost my marbles?

I'm in if it doesn't conflict!