ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #31
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
12 million scans

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Disclaimer: The purpose of this thread is to plan a motorcycle trip.....

Any of you guys hear about this deal?

The Department of Homeland Security is set to activate a national license plate tracking system that will be shared with law enforcement, allowing DHS officers to take photos of any license plate using their smartphone and upload it to a database which will include a “hot list” of “target vehicles”.

http://www.infowars.com/homeland-sec...tion-database/

Personally, I've been getting a little fed up with the notion of being surveilled by my government even though I'm a fine upstanding law-abiding citizen. Phone calls being tracked/recorded, internet use being tracked/recorded, and now movements being tracked/recorded.

I've been joking with the wife recently that I was going to take off on my dirtbike with nothing but a wad of cash in my pocket and travel around the state "off-the-grid" just as my own little personal protest to all the tracking that takes place these days. Now with this latest license plate deal, I'm giving it some serious consideration.

I think getting around on dirt roads without running through any surveilled intersections would be easy enough, as would gassing up at remote stations and paying cash, maybe a little mud would accidentally obscure part of the license plate, but what about lodging? Do campgrounds or hotels take cash on the spot without an ID or reservation these days? Would I be limited to camping in the woods (not a fan of sleeping on the ground).

Anyone else interested in an off-the-grid trip? Or are most of you guys going to be placing me on your ignore lists because I've clearly lost my marbles?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...aw-enforcement
Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #32
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveick View Post
Judge Napolitano does a pretty good job of explaining the issue at 2:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9eh4tjVv7c

And here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNLsYGAZhM

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #33
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Judge Napolitano does a pretty good job of explaining the issue at 2:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9eh4tjVv7c

And here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNLsYGAZhM

But CJ...that's all coming from Fox News, so it can't possibly be true. It's just right wing fear mongering.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #34
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
They are going to get mighty bored watching me ride around in the desert not doing much of anything. That is my revenge..... They are sitting in front of a monitor all day while I ride and have fun, while they hate their jobs.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #35
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
But CJ...that's all coming from Fox News, so it can't possibly be true. It's just right wing fear mongering.
Which blows me away. Because it was the Cheney administration that setup these controls. and now it's the right-wing who is bitching about them.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #36
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Which blows me away. Because it was the Cheney administration that setup these controls. and now it's the right-wing who is bitching about them.
You're over-generalizing. It was the Neo-cons that set this stuff up, and it's being carried on by the Democrats....both of which are firmly in the authoritarian camp. Traditional conservatives, libertarians, and paleo-cons, have always been opposed to this crap. I'm just glad that there's somebody standing up for constitutional rights. Don't really care if it's Fox News or the ACLU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
They are going to get mighty bored watching me ride around in the desert not doing much of anything. That is my revenge..... They are sitting in front of a monitor all day while I ride and have fun, while they hate their jobs.
Good point. Maybe we should have things written on the top of our helmets for them to read.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #37
BlackHawkChief
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:

Yea I was doing just that riding out in the desert enjoying the scenery when they launched a helicopter after us
BlackHawkChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #38
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkChief View Post
Yea I was doing just that riding out in the desert enjoying the scenery when they launched a helicopter after us
FAIL!!!! You should have photo-shopped the helicopter black.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #39
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
You're over-generalizing. It was the Neo-cons that set this stuff up, and it's being carried on by the Democrats....both of which are firmly in the authoritarian camp. Traditional conservatives, libertarians, and paleo-cons, have always been opposed to this crap. I'm just glad that there's somebody standing up for constitutional rights. Don't really care if it's Fox News or the ACLU.

Good point. Maybe we should have things written on the top of our helmets for them to read.
Bingo! Not too important who "started" any intrusive government program. It's more important to find out what they're doing and get a reasonable handle on it.

Hair, I understand your point about when these types of programs started, but I'd contend the "intent" immediately after 911 was probably a fairly noble one overall...our protection. However, as history tends to point out, powerful national level governments find it so easy to misuse and abuse such programs in fairly short order. Yes, I'm a conservative, but I am somewhat surprised how this current democrat administration has been as aggressive as it has in pursuing so many issues that the majority of all citizens feel are an inappropriate overreach in personal privacy and freedoms. When you juxtapose election rhetoric about how evil and wrong the Bush administration's activities were in pursuing the same issues, you'd think someone hijacked the current administration's "promises".

These discussions always remind me of Ben Franklin's comment..."Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety."
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #40
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,084
[QUOTE=_CJ;but I have a real problem with being treated as a subject of a ruler's kingdom when we are supposed to be participants in a free society. I wouldn't be surprised if in my lifetime technology advances to the point that people are required to carry an ID with real time GPS tracking, and people being okay with that.[/QUOTE]

I am required by my job to carry a TWIC card, issued by TSA.
It has a chip on it, which probably can be used to track.
That day is already here I'm afraid
If they want to, they can track by my cell phone, no real difference.
Times are changing. Technology has evolved to everybody has access to world events immediately, and the Gov has access to me immediately.
Sad really.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #41
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Post 9/11 the number of gov't organizations that have sprung up and been granted police like powers is amazing.
What's even more disturbing to me is that most of these organizations now have paramilitary branch of some stripe.

When the Boston Marathon bombing occurred I was shocked at the number of different letter combinations displayed on the back of what looked like front line infantry troops. Do armor, tactical gear and automatic weapons belong in the arsenal of every single law enforcement agency in the US? I question the level of training based on their sudden proliferation. And no, I don't believe that taking a highly trained veteran and converting them into an LEO is acceptable. Soldiers are trained to project force, NOT act as law enforcement.

Crap, I didn't have my tin-foil hat on when I typed that!

Where are the steps leading down from this soap-box
MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #42
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
the Gov has access to me immediately.
Sad really.
.gov might have immediate access to you if they want it (assuming you agreed to it as a condition of employment, making it voluntary on your part), but they're required to get a warrant based on articulable suspicion to track a normal citizen...or at least they have been up to this point. That's why I just want to take off without any way for anyone to know where I'm at or what I'm doing unless I want them to know.

I don't carry a phone with GPS in it, so that's not an issue, but I suppose cell towers could be tracked, so the phone will remain turned off unless I need to use it in an emergency. Nothing but cash. I can access national forest without passing through any intersections that have traffic lights, and I can stay away from areas that have plate readers. Hopefully my bike won't get so dirty that the plate would be obscured. It's clear .gov doesn't want anyone going anywhere without them knowing about it, which is a total and complete violation of our rights, so I'm going to do my best to exercise those rights while I still can....if I can.

_CJ screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 02:08 PM
Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #43
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,708
you are supposed to follow the helicopters and take pictures of them. Not the other way around.

toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #44
RockyMtnScotsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
ah, but while you're away they'll dispatch a team to stage a break-in of your home to see what contraband you have that they don't think you should own and plant a few more data collection, video, and listening devices while they're there. Then if you're particularly naughty and/or your name shows up on the Black List they know exactly where to find you while out riding so they can collect you to be 'disappeared' off to some FEMA gulag.
1973 Moto Guzzi 850 El Dorado
2005 Honda CRF230F (wife's bike)
RockyMtnScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #45
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:

I don't carry a phone with GPS in it, so that's not an issue, but I suppose cell towers could be tracked, so the phone will remain turned off unless I need to use it in an emergency.
Turning it off doesn't mean your phone can't be tracked.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...location.shtml
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote