ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #46
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
ah, but while you're away they'll dispatch a team to stage a break-in of your home to see what contraband you have that they don't think you should own and plant a few more data collection, video, and listening devices while they're there. Then if you're particularly naughty and/or your name shows up on the Black List they know exactly where to find you while out riding so they can collect you to be 'disappeared' off to some FEMA gulag.
Speaking of FEMA - DIA (My tinfoil is starting to resonate.)
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Denver_...spiracy_theory
Old 02-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #47
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Turning it off doesn't mean your phone can't be tracked.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...location.shtml
Leaving it behind does.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #48
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Nope, my flip phone is too old for that (and I have a stash of backups to replace it with when it breaks). I've had to call 911 on two occasions in recent years and both times they were unable to locate me because my phone doesn't have a GPS function or even any sort of modern operating system that can be infected and controlled in the way a Blackberry or i-phone might.

Who knew that being a cheap old technology resistant bastard was going to someday foil the overlord's attempts to track me?

Just for the sake of safety though, I'll be sure to remove the battery too. Thanks for pointing that out!
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 05:34 PM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #49
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,160
Quote:
The most common ploy is to download a virus that sends SMS out regularly. Some phones do this anyways. Here is a little more complete description of the process used originally to track Al Qaeda suspects:
http://techpp.com/2013/08/22/track-phone-turned-off/
Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #50
BlackHawkChief
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
oh was that you on the side of the road we just picked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
you are supposed to follow the helicopters and take pictures of them. Not the other way around.

BlackHawkChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #51
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,105
I'm unclear as to exactly what "Rights" people think are being violated by being photographed when you are out in public.

Search and seizure without reasonable cause isn't the question here. We're not talking forced enemas, or are we?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #52
shiftymike
Hooligan Schmooligan

Oddometer: 217
…… in a perfect world, perhaps

Got Cool? Evaporative Coolers Service & Installation
shiftymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #53
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'm unclear as to exactly what "Rights" people think are being violated by being photographed when you are out in public.
"(the 4th Amendment's) protections, such as the warrant requirement, extend to the privacy of individuals as well as physical locations."

Freedom of association,
Freedom of movement, and mobility rights or the right to travel are also at issue.

Judge Napolitano explained this in the videos I posted above.

I don't specifically have an issue with local law enforcement scanning plates of parked cars or as they go through intersections to find stolen cars and known criminals, but when .gov tracks everyone's movements and cross-references them with other data they've illegally obtained via phone and internet data, develops profiles of where everyone goes, and when, who they talk to, and what they say, it's an absolute violation of the above referenced rights. They're treating normal citizens like criminals, and these actions require a warrant based on articulable suspicion. As the judge explained, this hasn't been tested in court yet because .gov hasn't introduced any of the info they've illegally obtained as evidence. To me, it's a lot like the movie Seven, where they used info from the library to find the killer, then worked backwards to build a case. They couldn't just say that's what they did because it was a violation of the suspect's rights, and would have been inadmissible in court causing the whole case to be thrown out.

_CJ screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 09:01 PM
Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #54
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Judge Napolitano does a pretty good job of explaining the issue at 2:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9eh4tjVv7c

And here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNLsYGAZhM

I think it would very nice if we all watched all of Judge Napolitano's videos. Check them all out. He sure is pretty right wing when compared to his sister, Janet. It seems that he really wants to dissolve the government and let people with guns have a big tea party. But the NSA needs to be checked and all their computers replaced with Radio Shack TRS-80s.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #55
hook0924
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Redflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
"(the 4th Amendment's) protections, such as the warrant requirement, extend to the privacy of individuals as well as physical locations."

Freedom of association,
Freedom of movement, and mobility rights or the right to travel are also at issue.

Judge Napolitano explained this in the videos I posted above.

I don't specifically have an issue with local law enforcement scanning plates of parked cars or as they go through intersections to find stolen cars and known criminals, but when .gov tracks everyone's movements and cross-references them with other data they've illegally obtained via phone and internet data, develops profiles of where everyone goes, and when, who they talk to, and what they say, it's an absolute violation of the above referenced rights. They're treating normal citizens like criminals, and these actions require a warrant based on articulable suspicion. As the judge explained, this hasn't been tested in court yet because .gov hasn't introduced any of the info they've illegally obtained as evidence. To me, it's a lot like the movie Seven, where they used info from the library to find the killer, then worked backwards to build a case. They couldn't just say that's what they did because it was a violation of the suspect's rights, and would have been inadmissible in court causing the whole case to be thrown out.
Im thinking that company's like Redflex are getting their speed vans nixed by local governments and are trying to peddle their license scanning technology to the DHS by lobbying efforts. Pay to play if you will.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #56
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Back to the original topic, and planning a trip.....

With a little research, I've found that there is no .gov requirement for a hotel to check or make a record of a patron's ID. Most do for various reasons, and are certainly within their rights as a private business to do so.

There are some that will accept cash up front, and not all of them are frequented by guys named Jon. Some of the more reputable will require a cash security deposit in lieu of an ID and return it at check-out after the room has been inspected.

okay, maybe a little tinfoil material: FCC to place federal agents in news rooms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNnZusZzs8
Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #57
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

Search and seizure without reasonable cause isn't the question here. We're not talking forced enemas, or are we?
The Posse Comitatus Act, I think this prevents the military from collecting info, ie photos. However the way around this is to simple create a bunch of para military organizations that have police like powers and military like resources to collect and investigate citizens at will and without cause. I believe there are many regulations that limit these organizations, most regulations under privacy acts etc but with so many organizations who polices the police? There isn't a watch dog that has been given the resources and a mandate that is a broad as the varies policing organizations.

But don't worry, just have faith that the gov't can control all these organizations and has your best interests at heart.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #58
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,064
Quote:
No, but putting it in a martini shaker does. And you have something to make a proper drink at the end of your day evading Big Brother!

Government gathering info = end of liberty, freedom, the world, etc. Facebook gathering info = having fun with social media!

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #59
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #60
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 756
This gives a more technical explanation of cellular phone insecurity. The software running on the "radio side" of the phone is largely unsecured (as opposed to the OS that you interact with).