ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #61
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,295
Too freak'n funny!

After watching the martini shaker video I decided to do an experiment myself.

1. Called my cell from my land line. It rang and showed five bars.
2. Wrapped cell phone in tinfoil.
3. Called cell phone again and it didn't ring, straight to voicemail.
4. Unwrapped cell phone and it was showing zero bars!

Tinfoil for the win!!!

Also, I hadn't even considered a throw-away phone. That would be another option for emergency use. Buy it with cash, wrap it in tinfoil and go get lost!
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #62
BlackHawkChief
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
I myself carry a cheap trac-phone version of the motorola razor
that has no GPS chip one in my cars glove box an one in my riding jacket
for use as a back up to my smart device when it falls off the bike an for other clandestine uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Too freak'n funny!

After watching the martini shaker video I decided to do an experiment myself.

1. Called my cell from my land line. It rang and showed five bars.
2. Wrapped cell phone in tinfoil.
3. Called cell phone again and it didn't ring, straight to voicemail.
4. Unwrapped cell phone and it was showing zero bars!

Tinfoil for the win!!!

Also, I hadn't even considered a throw-away phone. That would be another option for emergency use. Buy it with cash, wrap it in tinfoil and go get lost!
BlackHawkChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #63
Proveick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Careful now, the NSA is ALL over this thread like a hippie on a roach.
I'm more old school.

I like the radiation.

Proveick screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 02:49 PM
Proveick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #64
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Even the paparazzi parked on the side of the road writing marginally legal traffic tickets has been found to be corrupt at it's core:
http://www.9news.com/news/article/37...ribery-scandal

All of this photo enforcement goes online as fresh intel on your activity that the NSA and anyone else smart enough could easily access. Some people get HTTP links in their letters with a video of the whole "incident". It's like a .gov YouTube for traffic infractions, you know the NSA is gonna be all up in that.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #65
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 132
CJ, I've been out in the forests and seen bird houses that looked a little oddly placed so I stopped to look at them. There were game cameras in them with the lenses pointed out towards the road to take pictures of the cars and vehicles as they passed down the dirt roads. I don't know what agency placed them there, but I found that a little disconcerting that even out there cameras were placed to covertly monitor traffic. Somewhere is a picture of my ugly face looking inside that bird house.

Our local sheriff used that tactic to catch a thief breaking into cars at the trail head of a popular biking trail. They placed cameras inside bird houses and placed them around the parking area. They were able to identify him from those photos. The point is even in rural areas in the woods there are cameras.

Another point is the cell phones. When you call 911 your location is triangulated by the cell towers. Our 911 dispatcher can locate you to within a few hundred feet. If that technology exists for the use at the local county level then I am sure the feds have even better.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #66
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,216
[QUOTE=Scribe;23514155Government gathering info = end of liberty, freedom, the world, etc. Facebook gathering info = having fun with social media![/QUOTE]

You can't opt out of one but the other you can choose not to opt in so a little bit of a difference. Although ya gotta wonder about google. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_barges

Anyone with four death stars...well that can't be good.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #67
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkChief View Post
I myself carry a cheap trac-phone version of the motorola razor that has no GPS chip
You don't need a GPS chip in your phone to find out where it/you are. As long as your phone has a cell tower to bounce a signal off of 'they' can find you within a specific radius. More than one tower and the radius get's smaller - triangulation and such. However, 911 service does requires a GPS.

You need a Faraday bag ---> http://www.amazon.com/Black-Hole-Far.../dp/B0091WILY0 ...or take the battery out of your phone.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #68
snowmark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
with roadside cameras and drones, the gov't will turn all roads into toll roads and bill us for use, carbon emissions, speeding and every other violation, until all vehicles have a transmitting black box, making cameras and drones unnecessary.
snowmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #69
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I design and build systems to track and make sense of data. Very large amounts of data. Those who believe the goverment have the super powers to collect and make sense of information about every boring individual on earth also believes in santa claus, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, superman, star trek and the force at the same time. You should be more concerned about facebook, google, verizon, att and the other tech giants. They do have the technology and the know how to track most of the stupid dumb things boring people do. They also have the motivation to use and misuse information. Its called profit.

The best way to disappear from surveillance is not to hide. Be out there be visible and blend in with the rest. Make sure you do not
do things that call attention to yourself, like paying large bills with cash, thats what drug dealers do. Just be normal and your information will blend with the big ocean of information out there and will truly become anonimous.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #70
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmark View Post
...until all vehicles have a transmitting black box, making cameras and drones unnecessary.

You sure they don't already? My GMC with Onstar typically does a pretty good job of letting somebody know where it is at all times, and the Nav system in the wife's new Jeep is even fancier. Just say in'...

Transitioning to dirt from squiding?
MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #71
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaParkerColo View Post

You sure they don't already? My GMC with Onstar typically does a pretty good job of letting somebody know where it is at all times, and the Nav system in the wife's new Jeep is even fancier. Just say in'...
My 1970 F100 doesn't even have electronic ignition, let alone a "black box".
Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #72
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I design and build systems to track and make sense of data. Very large amounts of data. Those who believe the goverment have the super powers to collect and make sense of information about every boring individual on earth also believes in santa claus, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, superman, star trek and the force at the same time. You should be more concerned about facebook, google, verizon, att and the other tech giants. They do have the technology and the know how to track most of the stupid dumb things boring people do. They also have the motivation to use and misuse information. Its called profit.

The best way to disappear from surveillance is not to hide. Be out there be visible and blend in with the rest. Make sure you do not
do things that call attention to yourself, like paying large bills with cash, thats what drug dealers do. Just be normal and your information will blend with the big ocean of information out there and will truly become anonimous.

Let me get this straight....the guy with 18 posts who "designs and builds systems to track and make sense of very large amounts of data" is telling us to just get in line and do as everyone else does. I guess all those key words got somebody's attention.

Pay no attention to Facebook, Google, etc. protesting .gov's madatory information gathering/reporting, or those HUGE data collection facilities in Utah.

_CJ screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 07:25 PM
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #73
BlackHawkChief
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post

Was this sent from a lil black helicopter ?
BlackHawkChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #74
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
My 1970 F100 doesn't even have electronic ignition, let alone a "black box".
The satellites can probably track you by the radio signals coming off your ignition points. As the only pre-electronic ignition around, you will stick out like a sore thumb.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #75
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
The satellites can probably track you by the radio signals coming off your ignition points. As the only pre-electronic ignition around, you will stick out like a sore thumb.
The only way they can track my Dodge diesel 1995 is by the sonic vibrations.