User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #16
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Don't dismiss the West!

I've had the pleasure of driving around Arizona, so if you like that sort of country on a bike, then the West is fine. Plenty to see. Just a long way in-between beers, and damned expensive when you find a pub! Planning is half the fun. Riding the plan is the other half. I'll respond to your PM when it comes through. Cheers, Mick.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,043
Hey Mr COB

When are you tinting of going? I will be there in April and staying in the west for a bit (Perth, Broome, Etc). Let me low if your thinking about April at all.. Hope you have been well
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #18
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourPros View Post
When are you tinting of going? I will be there in April and staying in the west for a bit (Perth, Broome, Etc). Let me low if your thinking about April at all.. Hope you have been well
Howdy Chris,

"IF" I go again to Oz it won't be until next year, takes awhile to save up for such a trip just putting out feelers now for information and suggestions.

I have been well, still ornery as ever, hope to see you at this years Black Dog Rally.

Dave

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #19
JBtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Chris,

"IF" I go again to Oz it won't be until next year, takes awhile to save up for such a trip just putting out feelers now for information and suggestions.

I have been well, still ornery as ever, hope to see you at this years Black Dog Rally.

Dave

G'day Mr Cob,

Maybe wait another year, save a bit more and time your run to make it to the 2016 OCR.

JBtourer
JBtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #20
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtourer View Post
G'day Mr Cob,

Maybe wait another year, save a bit more and time your run to make it to the 2016 OCR.

JBtourer
Howdy JBtourer,

Your point is well taken, however I'll be 66 years young in a few more weeks and don't want to put good things off for to long a time period. Sadly I am slowin down and getting gimper from old injuries.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #21
GSnovice
Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer: 1,570
Hey mods, he mentioned the J*^$ word AND drop-bears in the first page - is the ban hammer primed?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #22
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,928
G/day Mr Cob,

Have sent you a pm, look forward to having a beer with you again here in Oz. My Shout!

Re packing clothing for a m/c tour, this is what I have worked out. You need the same amount of clothes wheather its a 3 day ride or a 3 mth ride any where in the world.

The secret is an electrical heated full length jacket, gloves and socks.

This a list of gear that took to North America(4 mths) and just returned from NZ (3 mths). Riding pants with separate liner, vented summer jacket with waterproof liner(BMW GS) helmet, with 3 sets of gloves, summer, normal gloves and winter gloves, all BMW) and riding boots, in my case my beloved custom made Medal boots.
Clothing consisted of light weight shorts, worn under the riding pants, 3 sets of bamboo socks(most comfortable, light and easy to wash,) 3 jocks, 3 t shirts, 1 polo shirt, a few hankies, 1 pair of jeans, 1 good pair of shorts, pair of soft shoes and sandals. That's it.

No jumper, no heavy shirts etc.

What I wore every day while riding, was a pair of socks, jocks, shorts and t shirt, with the padded riding pants and jacket. If it was cool/cold in the morning I wore the heated jacket which in my case is made by Warm and Safe Heated Gear, and distributed here in Oz by Warm and Safe from Maffra Vic. I have several heated jackets, vests etc, but this jacket is by far the best made and designed. It covers your neck and lower back, kidneys. It is wireless except for the connectors to the gloves and socks, which mean it can be folded up, packed into a stuff bag, with no threat of breaking a wire.
It has a Bluetooth variable temp box which I mount on the LHS handlebar and has separate variable controls for the jacket, gloves and socks. If it was raining, and it did often in NZ, I would have the inner waterproof liner fitted, and a lightweight Goretex jacket going over the riding jacket. I was always dry and warm no matter what the conditions, and I rode in some seriously wet. And the heated jacket can be worn at night time.

My clothing would take up less then half a pannier, the rest of the space in the pannier took my sleeping bag, Exped mat and pump, shoes and wet weather gear.

So you don't need to carry lots of clothes to travel for a long time.

Cheers

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #23
"A"
numbum

Oddometer: 370
I'd say you would do well by flying into Perth the cheapest way that suits you some weeks before the OCR this year. Then get your bike and ride up the coast via Kalbarri and Shark Bay to the Kimberly and OCR. Check out that area then ride back south and take in the Pilbara region and Gascoyne attractions. By the time you get down to the goldfields regions it would likely be Spring and if the season is good then W.A's famous wildflowers should be on display. The south of W.A. looks its best during the spring time and it is warming up a bit.
A loop down from Kalgoorlie to Esperance on the south coast and then west via Albany, Pemberton and back to Perth should be plenty!
Google the names I've mentioned and you will be able to fill in the details your self.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #24
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSnovice View Post
Hey mods, he mentioned the J*^$ word AND drop-bears in the first page - is the ban hammer primed?
G/Day GSnovice,

Mate, lend a Yank a hand with the local lingo, what in tarnation is the "j8^$" word, I know you blokes speak the kings English and not merican but what the bloody el are you going on about eh.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #25
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
Hi Cob. The next of center is in the Kimberely region of NW western Australia at Drysdale River Station. The date is always the 2nd weekend in August. ( you should be able to google it) WA in summer can be extremely hot i.e.45C+ for days at a time & the distances between "civilisation" will make the run up the Cape look like a suburban street. Make sure you check the scale on any map when planning! Add to the mix West Australians live there ( not many though, they're mainly Kiwi's & South africians, and Bully of course) and you will see why its called the wild west The OCR's are held in our "winter" for a reason, so all us that live in the SE corner can escape the cold here!!

Good Luck with it, if you contact Zac say hi

DD
Howdy DD,

Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed your post at first reading. I have been doing some more reading and am rethinking my travel plans as to the time of year that I should visit, your spring or fall and if ones goes north winter seems to be the best of times.

I do hope you have fully recovered from your getoff, last I heard you were still limping about a bit. Sure enjoyed staying at your home whilst in Jock's care and hope to see you again someday.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
G/day Mr Cob,

Have sent you a pm, look forward to having a beer with you again here in Oz. My Shout!

Re packing clothing for a m/c tour, this is what I have worked out. You need the same amount of clothes wheather its a 3 day ride or a 3 mth ride any where in the world.

The secret is an electrical heated full length jacket, gloves and socks.

This a list of gear that took to North America(4 mths) and just returned from NZ (3 mths). Riding pants with separate liner, vented summer jacket with waterproof liner(BMW GS) helmet, with 3 sets of gloves, summer, normal gloves and winter gloves, all BMW) and riding boots, in my case my beloved custom made Medal boots.
Clothing consisted of light weight shorts, worn under the riding pants, 3 sets of bamboo socks(most comfortable, light and easy to wash,) 3 jocks, 3 t shirts, 1 polo shirt, a few hankies, 1 pair of jeans, 1 good pair of shorts, pair of soft shoes and sandals. That's it.

No jumper, no heavy shirts etc.

What I wore every day while riding, was a pair of socks, jocks, shorts and t shirt, with the padded riding pants and jacket. If it was cool/cold in the morning I wore the heated jacket which in my case is made by Warm and Safe Heated Gear, and distributed here in Oz by Warm and Safe from Maffra Vic. I have several heated jackets, vests etc, but this jacket is by far the best made and designed. It covers your neck and lower back, kidneys. It is wireless except for the connectors to the gloves and socks, which mean it can be folded up, packed into a stuff bag, with no threat of breaking a wire.
It has a Bluetooth variable temp box which I mount on the LHS handlebar and has separate variable controls for the jacket, gloves and socks. If it was raining, and it did often in NZ, I would have the inner waterproof liner fitted, and a lightweight Goretex jacket going over the riding jacket. I was always dry and warm no matter what the conditions, and I rode in some seriously wet. And the heated jacket can be worn at night time.

My clothing would take up less then half a pannier, the rest of the space in the pannier took my sleeping bag, Exped mat and pump, shoes and wet weather gear.

So you don't need to carry lots of clothes to travel for a long time.

Cheers

Chris
Howdy Chris, G/Day to ya mate,

So good to see your post and to hear from you again, wished we could have rode together whilst you were in the Great Nor-Wet. Your advise is well written and the suggestions will be heeded. Thanks for the PM, I'll return one to you shortly.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #27
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I'd say you would do well by flying into Perth the cheapest way that suits you some weeks before the OCR this year. Then get your bike and ride up the coast via Kalbarri and Shark Bay to the Kimberly and OCR. Check out that area then ride back south and take in the Pilbara region and Gascoyne attractions. By the time you get down to the goldfields regions it would likely be Spring and if the season is good then W.A's famous wildflowers should be on display. The south of W.A. looks its best during the spring time and it is warming up a bit.
A loop down from Kalgoorlie to Esperance on the south coast and then west via Albany, Pemberton and back to Perth should be plenty!
Google the names I've mentioned and you will be able to fill in the details your self.
Howdy "A",

An atlas of Oz is on its way to me, this and posts like yours will aid my trip planning greatly, thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Howdy "A",

An atlas of Oz is on its way to me, this and posts like yours will aid my trip planning greatly, thanks for the suggestions.
On its way as of this morning.

I did a three week ride around Aus a couple of years back (must do that again!) and took very little gear. McCardigan is right - Travel light.

One set of 'do-all' bike gear, and two sets of 'unders'. I wear thermals all year round. They keep you warm in the cold and wick-away sweat in the heat. One set is worn, and the other is 'spare'. You wash them when you can and stick them in a mesh 'bra-and-nickers' bag and strap it to the gear on the bike so it dries next day's ride. Good gear doesn't stink-up. Merino wool or polytech hiking gear is good. I use both. Socks should be a wool and silk blend for warmth, dryness, and extended wearing if you are in-between towns and creeks.

I still have my list somewhere, so I'll dig it out. I had more bike tools and spares than anything else, and didn't use any of that! Camping was a light 'biker swag'. You cannot always rely on getting roadhouse accommodation in remote areas. If a road or mining crew is working in the area, it may be all booked out, so you have to rough it.

It will come together, but scaling down the room of the Ural back to a small bike might present a challenge!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #29
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXR View Post
On its way as of this morning.

I did a three week ride around Aus a couple of years back (must do that again!) and took very little gear. McCardigan is right - Travel light.

One set of 'do-all' bike gear, and two sets of 'unders'. I wear thermals all year round. They keep you warm in the cold and wick-away sweat in the heat. One set is worn, and the other is 'spare'. You wash them when you can and stick them in a mesh 'bra-and-nickers' bag and strap it to the gear on the bike so it dries next day's ride. Good gear doesn't stink-up. Merino wool or polytech hiking gear is good. I use both. Socks should be a wool and silk blend for warmth, dryness, and extended wearing if you are in-between towns and creeks.

I still have my list somewhere, so I'll dig it out. I had more bike tools and spares than anything else, and didn't use any of that! Camping was a light 'biker swag'. You cannot always rely on getting roadhouse accommodation in remote areas. If a road or mining crew is working in the area, it may be all booked out, so you have to rough it.

It will come together, but scaling down the room of the Ural back to a small bike might present a challenge!
Howdy MIXR,

I have been using wicking type gear for years so am well supplied in that regard, have good textile riding gear, and can when needed travel light but will admit to having been spoiled by the cargo capacity of the Ural. In truth, I was shocked at the cost of everything while in Australia, food, fuel and lodging are two to three times what I am used to paying here in the US.

One of my Aussie mates has informed me by PM of the up coming plans he has, had I not made firm plans to spend most of this coming July and August traveling the western and middle parts of the US with my wife visiting family and friends we have not seen in years, I would be spending that time in Oz and that you could take to the bank. Oh well, such is life...................

THANKS for sending the atlas.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #30
GSnovice
Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
G/Day GSnovice,

Mate, lend a Yank a hand with the local lingo, what in tarnation is the "j8^$" word, I know you blokes speak the kings English and not merican but what the bloody el are you going on about eh.
I think I like the cut of your jib, Mr Cob, pity you're only in the west this trip and we can't meet for a beer. McCardigan is the man you need to ask the above question!