Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #61
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
One reason I don't regret not selling anymore. It pretty much ruins your hobby.
Yeah, I don't miss the dealership days at all. I've been the aftermarket distribution game now at the corporate level for several years now. It's better overall as I don't have to deal with the public much. But whiny dealers aren't much better some days.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #62
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
One reason I don't regret not selling anymore. It pretty much ruins your hobby.
Ironic timing on those comments, as i was reminded tonight that turning art into a job made me hate art. I really fucking love motorcycles, and i would very much like to not have the same thing happen with them. But, as i mentioned a week or so ago in this thread, ive pretty much already decided not to do that. I did pick up a wrenching apprenticeship, but i dont plan on turning it into a career. Just a side thing for fun.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #63
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
That kinda stuff is why I buy things like the CRF450R and Tuono for myself. They need little or nothing and are user friendly bikes built to ride hard. 'Cuase if I ever actually hate riding a motorcycle someone please shoot me in the head.
Kind of a sideways tangent, but which Tuono? Ive been eyeing one of those for a long time.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #64
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
2004 first generation. 105K miles or so and hasn't even needed a valve adjustment. Hadn't been started in weeks and it turned over twice,fired up sat and idled yesterday. You can buy them low mileage cheap and ride for years. You won't regret it even if the wife leaves you because of it. Being in the business I get to ride everything and it's the best all rounder ever.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #65
Phil in K.C.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
spaced ghost wrote
"As I alluded to before, I've decided to go back to school to be an engineer/designer"

If you do become and engineer please be a good one...Having worked in the Tool and Die/Model Maker trade for 35 years I have work with some great ones...and some very, very bad ones. It seems that a lot of kids take an apt. test that says "hey you can be and eng." and mommy and daddy send them to school....just because they went to school does NOT make them and engineer. Good luck with your studies.... design us something cool.

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff......Frank Zappa
Phil in K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #66
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
One more thing: if you're going to fail in business, fail quickly. By that, I mean put aside a certain amount of money you're willing to invest (and lose) in the business... and when and if it's gone shut the business down. Don't keep throwing good money after bad chasing a dream that isn't going to come true.
The best advice so far.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #67
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in K.C. View Post
spaced ghost wrote
"As I alluded to before, I've decided to go back to school to be an engineer/designer"

If you do become and engineer please be a good one...Having worked in the Tool and Die/Model Maker trade for 35 years I have work with some great ones...and some very, very bad ones. It seems that a lot of kids take an apt. test that says "hey you can be and eng." and mommy and daddy send them to school....just because they went to school does NOT make them and engineer. Good luck with your studies.... design us something cool.
1st, I'm not a kid, I'm 36. 2nd, I come from a poor family, and havent received a penny from them since I left home at 17. I put myself through school, working FT while going to school FT. 3rd, I've never done anything that I didn't quickly become one of the best at, and I don't plan on changing that. But thanks for the advice.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #68
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
2004 first generation. 105K miles or so and hasn't even needed a valve adjustment. Hadn't been started in weeks and it turned over twice,fired up sat and idled yesterday. You can buy them low mileage cheap and ride for years. You won't regret it even if the wife leaves you because of it. Being in the business I get to ride everything and it's the best all rounder ever.
Awesome. Thats good to know.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #69
Phil in K.C.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced_ghost View Post
1st, I'm not a kid, I'm 36. 2nd, I come from a poor family, and havent received a penny from them since I left home at 17. I put myself through school, working FT while going to school FT. 3rd, I've never done anything that I didn't quickly become one of the best at, and I don't plan on changing that. But thanks for the advice.

I meant no disrespect. You being 36, in my opinion , is a great time to make this move. You have had time to see things in a way what we call in my trade,"fresh outs", can not see'. Those who have the book learning , but no real world experience....and they know it all...trying to reinvent the wheel on a daily basis. Take your knowledge and world experience, add what can be learned in Eng. school and make a difference.....you design it and my ilk will help you build it. Technology changes daily, but a bolt still goes in a threaded hole....enjoy the ride. You can do this.

Phil

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff......Frank Zappa
Phil in K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #70
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. I went to school with rich kids and spent a couple years teaching them, I understand.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #71
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in K.C. View Post
spaced ghost wrote

After working in sales of vehicles and having done some accessorizing as well as my own work on my bikes, then going into Mechanical Engineering, I came to the conclusion there should be a required course "Stupidity in Engineering". It would highlight all those cases where 1/8" more space would allow a part to come out without the present requirement to tear half the vehicle apart to get to it. Other cases of just plain foolish design work. I've seen time and time again where some simple alteration in the design would work wonders, but it is not done.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 11:09 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #72
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Thanks. Teaching pays terribly. The going rate for the type of schools I teach at, and the kind of classes I teach, is about $3k a semester. if you teach 3 classes a semester, you're making $18k a year before taxes. FT and tenured jobs are extremely scarce and getting rarer, so insurance and benefits are nowhere to be had. Staff jobs in education are a little better, I just quit a job as a shop tech at a "top" school here in NYC. The students were paying $45k/year for their degrees, and I was getting $37k with union mandated 3% raises (inflexible rate). Benefits were good, but it was the most stressful, soul crushing job I've ever had, and in the end it wasn't worth it. after taxes, I was making around $500 a week for basically running the entire sculpture department. and living in NY, my rent is around $900/mo for one bedroom, not to mention transit, food, etc. Was ending up with about $500/mo after living expenses.

Fabrication pays better, in large urban markets like NYC or LA, I can make around $55k. However, it's very difficult to find jobs that have any benefits at all, most of them are long term 1099 freelance gigs. and the hours are long and physically very demanding. Part of the reason I'm trying to get out of it is that continued exposure to particulates and vapors over the last decade has given me some health issues.

As I alluded to before, I've decided to go back to school to be an engineer/designer. That way I can still use the skills and knowledge I've acquired over the last 15 years, but move forward and not have to be in the grit in the shop all day everyday, and hopefully make a bit more money. It is a passion of mine, and I know what to expect as far as the ups and downs, and I know I can manage those. I'll do motos on the side for fun and maybe a little profit.
Now for all those against it, why is it we should have nationalized health care like the rest of the world?

Sure would make it a lot easier to do something one really wants to do, without the worry of what happens in catastrophic sickness or injury.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #73
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Ironic timing on those comments, as i was reminded tonight that turning art into a job made me hate art.
I've been doing document production for 10 years. For the first five years it was relatively fun and interesting. The last five years have been increasingly boring and repetitive. I used to love what I do.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #74
dirtyac
Ktooner

Oddometer: 30
One of my best friends owned a KTM dealership for 24 years and I worked for him for 19 of those 24. The tough thing for him was he couldn't say no to anyone....so his plate was always to full. That always hurt him. Buried all the time. Sounds like a good problem to have....Not! The business RAN him. He never lost his passion for motorcycles though. We lost him last year to cancer. Sure miss him.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #75
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

welp, despite all the advice in this thread to the contrary, I decided to take a step in this direction. going down to part time at my job as Project Manager/Designer/CAD drafter at an architectural metal fabrication company, and will now also be working part time at a vintage moto shop as a mechanic and designer/drafter/operator for custom parts with the CNC milling machine. seems like a good group of guys, pay is way better than I expected for mechanic work. At the very least, hopefully it will give me an idea of whether or not I want to pursue this.

wish me luck.