Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #91
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 217
Many have said it better than me but once set in a life's work, some recreational avocations are great to spice it up and keep life interesting. I used to love duck hunting, became a professional guide for a while and it took all the fun out of it and turned a fun recreation into work. I have seen the same thing with musician friends, great pickers who went full time and eventually ended up hating the demands of making music on someone else's schedule.

I want to keep motorcycling a fun recreation, an antidote to work stress. I even worry a bit about using the bike as a work tool for commuting and business trips.

I'd suggest keeping work and play separate. Maybe you can enjoy your job but don't try to turn an escape passion into work.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #92
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,583
Those are some really nice-looking pieces of furniture.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #93
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
While I'm in no way encouraging to continue a job that you HATE, I think that a job should put food on the table too and not absolutely fulfill all your dreams and expectations in life. It's pretty damn nice if it does both but don't put your expectations too high so the "dream" becomes a money pit.

It's what hobbies and side-line are for.
Exactly!

I spent 30+ years in the electronics business. It was never a passion, just something I was good at and paid the bills. The first ten years or so, I was unhappy with it and always looking for something that would inspire me and make me anxious to go to work every day. Then one day it occurred to me that maybe I didn't really want to live for my work and I should look at it the other way around. When I decided that work was just going to be what I did so that I could live the rest (non working part) of my life the way I wanted, life got a lot better. I even enjoyed the job and it's challenges a lot more those last 20 years than I had earlier.

davevv screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 08:15 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #94
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
i understand that sentiment, but it's just not how I'm put together. It'd probably be easier if it was.

and...it's official. I love being a mechanic, at least a vintage mechanic at a really awesome shop. I'm very lucky in that the shop I work at is owned by and staffed with really awesome low-key guys and is in a building with a bunch of other businesses run by really awesome folks. plus, they are super patient with me learning on the job. now if i could just get faster so I could make decent money, it'd be all good....for now. dunno what this means about my future plans, but I'm really enjoying the hell out of it. it's been a long time since I had a job where I didnt even know what time it was, only to look up and realize I could have gone home three hours ago, but was enjoying my work so much I didn't notice.

We'll see how I feel about it in a month or two.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #95
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 321
Heaps of knowledge on here, I'll read this thread a few times.

Consider options for a business. I have worked in a big 4-brand moto retail place, and 2 different 'independent' moto repair shops, and ... did my own eBay-online motorcycle salvage gig by myself for almost 2 years.

What was the most pleasant and profitable? Junking bikes out on eBay. I'll do it again later in life when I can own my own building. Sending parts all over the world is interesting, the profit margins are great, and IT IS NICE TO NOT HAVE TO SPEAK TO PEOPLE but only communicate through a keyboard and with good digital photo pictures of the parts.

I think the retail is going to continue to dive, except for new-bike sales. A lot of people will still go buy a new bike in a store. I would rather buy a new bike on eBay and have it delivered to my house. I think the moto-accessories are going to be almost all online sales as time goes on. Sold over 3,000 individual parts on eBay from all sorts of basket-of-parts at yard sales, to parting out fine complete running bikes.

One eBay moto seller has about 70,000 feedbacks and about 10,000 parts on eBay for sale at a given time. All used parts. Amazing. This is also resilient for wintertime, since people all over the world are rebuilding, repairing, bikes around the clock every day of the year. If you offer international shipping you will be very busy.

Think outside the box a little. They are usually worth more parted out than together. With public insurance auctions like www.iaai.com you can buy bikes locally from insurance-salvage outcomes. The online selling like eBay, forums, etc is driving the price of used parts down, but it beats working in a convenience store or something.

Overall, finding a proper and inexpensive workshop is very key. Having it secure is an obvious challenge too. That can keep you out of the red during the lean months.

People mention hot new markets like cafe racer posers. Few to none ever come in for repairs, and most are so clapped out that we didn't want them in the shop -- when you disturb one part of the bike something else breaks -- which was hanging on by a thread to begin with. My former boss turns away more bikes wanting to be repaired than he will work on due to parts being unavailable, bike is a turd, or owners disappear and you get to store their bikes for free for years!

A tricky business to be in. You want no-nonsense customers with bikes from 2000 or newer. This can be more difficult than you expect. Tools aren't prohibitively expensive in my opinion, you gain those as you go.

The repair is not a business I would do unless I had to. Salvage I would do because it is so easy to disassemble, clean, photograph, and list parts for sale ... shipping them out in small boxes.

I completely agree that after ~2 years of turning wrenches on other peoples bikes you won't want to even look at them at the gas station anymore.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 PM   #96
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

I appreciate the insight. Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #97
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
money, work, love, motorcycle

if i have the forth i have it all

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 12:43 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #98
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

damn what if i could not ride the motorcycle?

don't want to think about that

i'd just have to open a motorcycle business and have all i want! and at least look at them all day if i could not ride

don't want to think about it
Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #99
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

how much do motorcycle sales people make? i'd do that. maybe part time? do i get to zoom around town on the bikes?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #100
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm not a sales person, I'm a mechanic at a vintage shop. but yes, I get to ride the bikes. lots of old guzzis, ducs, bmws, but mostly Hondas and Yamahas. it's fun. plus we listen to good music, there's a coffee roaster right next to us that gives us free coffee all the time, there's a vending machine with dollar beers in it (not for me, but the other guys like it), and my favorite part... a constant stream of mind-blowingly hot girls walking by all day.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #101
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
a constant stream of mind-blowingly hot girls walking by all day.
Haha, yes, NYC is good for a few things. Especially, Brooklyn.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #102
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Damn Skippy
Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #103
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
I'm not a sales person, I'm a mechanic at a vintage shop. but yes, I get to ride the bikes. lots of old guzzis, ducs, bmws, but mostly Hondas and Yamahas. it's fun. plus we listen to good music, there's a coffee roaster right next to us that gives us free coffee all the time, there's a vending machine with dollar beers in it (not for me, but the other guys like it), and my favorite part... a constant stream of mind-blowingly hot girls walking by all day.
Gimme a yell in 20 or 30 years when you're still doin' this and the hot firls think you're a creepy old guy. And you have no money.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #104
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Ha, i know. I dont have any illusions about that. I dont plan on being a mechanic for 28 years. Plus I've already got a girl :)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #105
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
I dont plan on being a mechanic for 28 years.
Neither did I.