Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #121
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Um, you just described the free market economy as it applies to job availability and wages!
yes, to a degree. I have a lot more to say on that particular subject and how it applies to the schools I have attended and taught at, but I'll refrain from boring the shit out of everyone anymore than i have. just take my word for it that the school I recently stopped teaching at is a hellhole, and the post-secondary arts education has serious fucking issues right now.

@dudeclone's comment:

what I am saying is that I want to make enough money to survive and maybe have a little extra for hobbies or traveling or what have you, and also enjoy the way I spend the majority of my time. so far I've managed to do one or the other but not both.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #122
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

well, i've had a long sit about it, and come to the conclusion that despite my love for working on motorcycles, that all the advice in this thread is on the money. Moto needs to remain a hobby or side business, and it is, in fact, time to go back to school for engineering or something related. Thanks all. wish me luck.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #123
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
well, i've had a long sit about it, and come to the conclusion that despite my love for working on motorcycles, that all the advice in this thread is on the money. Moto needs to remain a hobby or side business, and it is, in fact, time to go back to school for engineering or something related. Thanks all. wish me luck.

If it's what you truly want to shoot for, I say give it a shot. Just be aware that running the business *might* take away some of the pleasure of the hobby.

Don't let the detractors get you down though. There are many motorcycle businesses that net the owner $150K/yr and some as high as $1mil. Everything small service shops to large franchise dealerships. All of these businesses were started small.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #124
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
yeah this thread has just made me appreciate those with a passion, time, and a bit of money to spend / lose that start a MC related business even more

i started on scooters and got to know a lot of scooter shops around L.A. many closed down, some are still open, and still others struggle to stay open at all cost. yet there they are serving us and servicing our little bikes and motors

it really is much appreciated
Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #125
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
If it's what you truly want to shoot for, I say give it a shot. Just be aware that running the business *might* take away some of the pleasure of the hobby.

Don't let the detractors get you down though. There are many motorcycle businesses that net the owner $150K/yr and some as high as $1mil. Everything small service shops to large franchise dealerships. All of these businesses were started small.
appreciate the support. It's not because of the naysayers so much as it is being confronted with the realities of owning a moto business in my current job as a mechanic, the level of difficulty in making enough to survive in said current job, and the fact that I have a long-standing goal to get a Master's degree (at a minimum), and I'm feeling like my brain is atrophying and it's time. I will still be doing the moto thing on the side, most likely as a tailored small scale business, but if not that, always and forever as an obsessive hobby. If the moto business grows to be self-sustaining during that time, well, no complaints from me!