Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #16
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecchio Lupo View Post
Good thread and good responses. The question you asked seems to resonate with riders of a certain age, I'd say over 50, we remember seeing the R100RS and the first generation Katana sport bikes and thinking "man that's a lot of plastic to worry about." Crashbars or highway pegs was all the accessories we could think of. Now I'm trying to lose weight to fit I to my 25 year old Police leather jacket and I ordered a pair of Gasolina shortcut engineers boots.

Long live rock and roll baby.
I'm a good few years under that age bracket. I guess I just aged way too quickly
Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakez View Post
Get out of my head!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Buy a Smaller bike that is Fun.

What he said.

Big bikes are more like work. Less like freedom.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Jeez, what's the big deal?

"my bike sometimes seems too big and heavy for local short hops / cruising two up"

"sometimes I don't like all the gear, all the time"

"the bike IS brilliant for it's niche, and I DO like all the gear some of the time"

Get a second bike, or a third or a single, different bike and quitcher bitchin'...

Wear whatever you want that particular day and quitcher bitchin'...
KirkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 466
Under age, hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
I'm a good few years under that age bracket. I guess I just aged way too quickly
Must be the desert sun, UV takes its toll.

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #21
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I wear what I want and normally helmet and gloves are my only gear on/offroad.

I like the dual sport better than my other bikes because I can be cruising down the street and see a nice hole in the brush and be like yeah, Imma hit that.

And though I've tried, can't much do that with a cruiser or sportbike.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #22
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecchio Lupo View Post
You don't need the whole long way down uniform to run up the street. Just quality gear for the minimum level you are ok with and be extra vigilant and rely on experience.

That's just plain wishful thinking.

Shit happens, despite your best "extra vigilance" and "experience". Some dink in a car who's busy fartin' around with their I-doohickey, trying to get the next kewl song queue'd up can take you out right down the street just as quickly and deadly-y as they can while you're two states away. Statistics might suggest even MORE quickly while you're just down the street.

Thinking that you're somehow safer or at lower risk just because it's a little local jaunt?

Wishful thinking...
KirkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #23
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Buy a Smaller bike that is Fun.

What he said.

Big bikes are more like work. Less like freedom.

I think big bikes require more mental 'working up to' for riding it.
At least they always have for me.

A smaller 185 or 350 just feels easier to go out for a little while and explore. Seems correlated with the ability to turn the bike around in a small space without feeling like I need to apply all my skills to be sure I don't drop it someplace inconvenient.

But the big bike is the better choice for a longer, more involved, riding session.

As a pilot I make the analogy that the big bike is like the jet that can take you cross country easily if your skills are up to the speed and you've done all your flight planning and have all your courses and frequency changes figured out. Fly high, fly fast, be comfortable.

The small bike is like the Cessna 150 2 seat trainer. You still need skills to survive the encounter but it's the thing to use when you just want to go out on a nice sunny day and enjoy the view when all you need to plan is the airport frequency and whether the President is going to be within 30 miles of where you might go.
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I feel like 'smaller bike, don't need as much gear' is overplayed. Sure, you (probably) aren't on the highway or mountain at high speed. You could still get t-boned by a red light runner or left turner at 30 mph.

If you don't like the gear don't wear it, but be careful about rationalizing away your caution because you're on a magically safe 'simple bike'.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #25
caminante
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Great post and great responses.

So my question to you, Zeid: Have you laid the bike down recently?
Speaking for myself, I've found myself asking those same sorts of questions after every time I've dropped my bike (up to and including when I totalled her last fall.)

I really like the pilot analogy that one poster added, as well as that comparison between "riding bikes" and "getting dressed to ride." It's not a question of fashion shows and getting dressed a certain way to "prove" you're a such and such biker. It's armoring up like some scene out of a Schwarzeneger movie that can drive home the morbid fact that we are tempting fate by riding two wheels through a caged and i-poded world.

"The trajectory is determined by the traveler, not the path." -- Fred Clark
caminante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
C = mine not yours, if any
S = least
&
M = just enough
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #27
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Bring it

KirkN, I get what you are saying. Most accidents happen very close to home and you have no control over other people.

It's risk management, not risk mitigation. You can't replace the physical protection of all the modern gear with luck. You can realize that you should back off from behind that jalopy of a roofing truck leaking hot tar with a teenage crew going to lunch. You also should know to keep your speed down and look further ahead. My reference to experience was not bike handling ability but good riding judgement. Airplanes crash, boats sink, and people in Volvos get hit by drunks, there things we have to worry about regardless of safety gear.

Just as I believe in helmets, I'll vote for your right to choose not to wear one. I agree 100% with your statement on ATGATT, I choose to manage my risk and dress accordingly, someday I may regret it, and yes I have had two real crashes and a half dozen minor mistakes in the last 40 years. I respect The individual's right and expect individuals to respect mine, or at least remain civil in disagreement.

In my above statement of "Lite Gear" that is about a third less gear than ATGATT is regular sturdy footgear and jeans rather than SiDi boots and Hien Gerricke pants. Jacket helmet and gloves, while only the 80% solution is still 80%

"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #28
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Some good replies in this thread and lots of truth. Thank you folks!

I'll totally agree, the big-bmw-adv image has almost more peer pressure than any other including HD. I've taken this bike down some incredibly tough trails and on some pretty long adventure rides, so I don't want to be viewed as some dude who just laid out a bunch of cash and has no idea what he bought just because it looked cool. I usually don't give a crap how people perceive me, I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt just about everywhere except those I'm absolutely required not to. I gave up on image a long ass time ago, but still in some situations you subconsciously do something to feel... I don't know the word for it. Not accepted, but rather, to feel like you know what you're doing?

I ask myself, even if I take a nearby trip, do I want to suit up like an astronaut? Or do I still want to feel the wind in my- non-helmet regions.

It still is a fact that the bike is very top heavy two up for cruising around town on. I guess I like the appeal of a simple, low to the ground bike made for cruising around and be the kind that suits something like that up for a long ride in my t-shirt and jeans. I dunno, I guess it's that classic romance of a motorcycle appeal.

I do agree though and thanks for the advice, I think I need to kick my gear down a notch when I'm just scooting around locally. Some people don't understand the risks, I know that's why some here are saying "dress for the crash, not the ride." It's very true, I've even heard some idiots laugh and say "I don't plan on crashing." I know full well the risks and pain I undertake when not wearing full gear, but am I willing to accept that to feel what a motorcycle is suppose to be giving me?
Use some dirtbike armor under abrasion-resistant mesh, or just use armored mesh gear like regular clothing. Add gloves, boots, and a simple helmet.

Get a simple and VISCERAL kind of bike. A used DR650 with GSXR muff and pumper carb will do it for most people on the cheap, as will a Scrambler with some power upgrades. Rent or borrow one if you have to. Simplicity and a bike that is FUN will remind you of why you started riding. Then you just need to go get lost somewhere.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #29
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 661
My one and only experience with road rash came riding a short hop in town when I hit a huge puddle of oil or antifreeze that suddenly appeared as the car in front of me passed over it. The good news was I had my leather jacket. The bad news was that it was strapped to the seat behind me because it was too hot. That was in the 1980s.

I figure you don't get to choose your accident. If it's too hot for gear it's too hot to ride. Bless the one who started making good textile jackets. I'm not religiously ATGATT, but I try not to miss church too often.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #30
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
My one and only experience with road rash came riding a short hop in town when I hit a huge puddle of oil or antifreeze that suddenly appeared as the car in front of me passed over it. The good news was I had my leather jacket. The bad news was that it was strapped to the seat behind me because it was too hot. That was in the 1980s.

I figure you don't get to choose your accident. If it's too hot for gear it's too hot to ride. Bless the one who started making good textile jackets. I'm not religiously ATGATT, but I try not to miss church too often.
Well Said, bravo