User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Slowred OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
AZ-Back way to Crown King+a little exploring

It started as an easy cruise to Crown King, the back way on the big bikes. The conversation went something like;

Hey Yardstick, are you up for a ride Sun?
Sure. How about a BB ride since I've got the 530 apart trying to find the source of a vague rear floating issue.
Ok. BB's the back way to CK?
Let me think about it.

The next day,

Hey Slowred, is your 3fiddy ready to ride?
Sure, but it needs a shakedown cruise after some work.
Great, I've got the 530 back together and it needs a shakedown as well. I've also, got a couple of trails I found on Google Earth to explore. (when Yardstick has a trail that needs exploring, one must always be prepared)

Staging at Lake Pleasant, it was a beautiful 65* of AZ Polar Vortex! Yardstick with an evil grin. What does he know, that I don't?

The first part of the back way to CK is smooth and fast.

Gorgeous views!

CK Rock turnoff. Yardstick, still not happy with the way his 530 is handling tries kicking the tire.

Yardstick passing a 4x4 on the first rough uphill.

We took this road to the first trail we were going to explore. Minni Trail.

Minni Trail. Although, it isn't on the trail marker, it was clearly marked as a 50 inch motorized trail on the NF Map, which takes precedence. Plus, the trail had quad tracks leading in.

Yardstick making clicker adjustments to try to fix the vague floating sensation.

Once underway, the trail quickly deteriorates. It's heavily overgrown and challenging in spots.

Yardstick powering through a tough, loose climb. We kept finding trail and yellow ribbons to guide us.

Until here. The end! We searched for a long while, but couldn't find where the trail continued. Frustrated, we turned around.

Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Slowred OP
Studly Adventurer

Next we wanted to try the upper part of Wagner Trail to CK. It definitely has a few challenges.

Upper Wagner.

Lots of off camber narrow spots. The creek was in full algae bloom.

A few logs to cross.

This one was tricky. You had a small log to jump, but then had a fallen log at waist height 5 feet later. We ended up dragging the bikes under it.

The canyon was beautiful.

Several tough technical sections.

Further on we found more challenges. At this point all I could think about was food at the Mill!

Yardstick

I'm on the trail just below Yardstick here. These switchbacks required getting off and dragging the rear around to make the turn. Tough stuff!

This is the payoff for tackling these trails. Awesome scenery!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Slowred OP
Studly Adventurer

Lunch time at the Mill in CK! When we entered we met our old friend Javalina eating with his family. This became important a little later on.

We decided to head back the easy way after our morning explorations. The views were phenomenal!

Yardstick taking a pic of me taking a pic.

We were moving quickly down the mtn and even passed Javalina and his family on quads. When I pulled up to the CK rock turnoff, Yardstick pointed to his front tire, which was flat. As luck would have it, Javalina pulled up just as we were patching the tube and offered his compressor. Sure beats a MTB hand pump! Yardstick with his new best friend!!!

From there it was an easy 10 miles back to the truck. What an awesome day of riding in AZ!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Thumb Great report

Man you guys are supreme bushwackers! Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the pics!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 324
Nice Pictures!

You guys should just start carrying handsaws and come along's to move rocks. Your rides just keep getting tougher and tougher!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,939
NICE! Glad to hear that Wagoner trail is rideable in that direction!

I had lunch with Javalina on Tuesday!

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,969
Nice pics Slowred! I have a few more to post. Hopefully I can get to that tonight.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,314
Awesome!

Great RR Slowred. You and Yardstick just keep finding the trails that are less traveled and tear em up, so to speak. I really enjoy reading these RR and looking at the photos.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
Nice pics Slowred! I have a few more to post. Hopefully I can get to that tonight.
Slacker.....
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Slacker.....
Oh... I've been busy.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,072
Nice report

A few of us did Wagner this winter. That is a fun trail. When we rode it there was about 4" to 6" of snow on the top half and the waterfall in your picture was frozen solid.

I was riding my Husaberg for the second time... no side stand which sucks

The little canyon is so pretty and the trail is super cool.

We were intending to ride it up but I didn't have a gps track for it and the guys I was with weren't sure if we were on the right trail down the bottom so we ran to the top and rode it down. There are a few spots you wouldn't want to slip of the side of the track. The switch backs are super tight. I thought riding it up might make those easier if you popped the bike up on the rear wheel and spun it around but the drop off's to the side would be penalizing if you screwed that up.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
Slowred OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys! It was a fun ride.

Reidy, very cool pics of Wagner in the snow. Some of the switchbacks I was able to float the front end around, but a couple required lifting the back end up to make the turn. Awesome trail! I'm ready to ride it again, except the entire trail this time.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #13
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowred View Post

Reidy, very cool pics of Wagner in the snow. Some of the switchbacks I was able to float the front end around, but a couple required lifting the back end up to make the turn. Awesome trail! I'm ready to ride it again, except the entire trail this time.
Up or down this time? I have some ideas for loops!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,072
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowred View Post

Is there more to this trail other than the road portion past the old mine site?
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Like Slowred already said, the idea started off as an easy cruise up the back way to Crown King on the big bikes since I have been chasing a handling issue on my 530. I didn't think I would have time to check everything, but with the ride planned for Sunday, I had Saturday to investigate. Finding nothing significantly out of the ordinary I dug up a plan I put together sometime last year.

We have passed by Minni and Wagoner trails many times on various routes to Crown King. The weather and timing seemed perfect to check them out!

These two donkeys were playing or courting up and down the road while we got ready to ride.

I thought they were going to come over and say hello at one point.

I knew within the first few miles that something was still not right with the bike. The best way to describe it is, it's like having a flat rear tire. The rear of the bike wanders slightly. It's never so much that it puts me on the ground, but it's enough to make me back off the pace and ride extra cautious.

I can't find any history on Minni trail but it looks like an old one that was probably closed at some point.

Someone is obviously working on pushing the trail through.

Did someone order a shrubbery? This is the end of the line. I hiked up to the peak and found more ribbon in trees but no obvious sign of a trail.

Yardstick screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 07:29 AM