ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
CO-or-bust OP
Wobbly Barn
 
CO-or-bust's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Temporary: Jersey (long story...), Goal: 'rado
Oddometer: 168
Question Why are all (OK, most) of the CO Rallies in July???

Lots of reading and researching, including here on ADV, in State of Colorado catalogs, on-line, even Hiking forums, etc. has all lead me to believe that September is the best time to ride in Colorado --- miss the snow-pack in the upper Passes in June, the monsoons in July and August, crowds throughout the Summer, and much colder temps and possible snow in October...

I guess it's important to note that I am looking to fly out and ship my Husky TE610 and then ride solo throughout CO and down into southern UT, for 4 weeks, focussing on trails and Passes, and camping 90% of the nights.

And yet, it seems that all/most of the CO Rallies are in the "hot", "crowded", "monsoon season" of July???
July 18-20: Western Colorado Dirt Bike Ride
July 25-27: How the West was Won
July 27-30: Pre (RMAR) Rondy
July 31-Aug 3: RMAR
and the Colorado Classic 1000 on June 21-22

Did I miss something? Should I be more open to July, or August? I still am leaning towards September but would appreciate a little input from you local Inmates.

Thanks!
__________________
"And when we add the score at the end of this life, I wanna say I won the game." - from "Roll if ya' fall" by Barefoot Truth
CO-or-bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
out rider
Nearing the end
 
out rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: IN PROTECTIVE CUSTODY
Oddometer: 594
Monsoon season starts in August
out rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 3,998
It's hit and miss in August for rain, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but it could snow in the high country in September.
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Evergreen Colorado
Oddometer: 394
September, kids and other folks are back to school/work also hunting season starts in late august. Summers go quick here in the high country.

But yes, September is one of the best months in Colorado
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Evergreen Colorado
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
It's hit and miss in August for rain, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but it could snow in the high country in September.
It has snowed measured amounts in every month in Colorado
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG
 
AustinJake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 3,623
Takes time to get the passes clear of snow, most folks like to ride the passes.
__________________
____________________________________
Get fit. Stay safe. Enjoy life. Learn something to help someone in need.
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft, Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,653
High country:

Jan-May: snow
June: up high has snow
July: ideal!
August: afternoon lightening.
Sept: snow's coming sometime
Nov-Dec: snow
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
grub
Requires Supervision
 
grub's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Waiting for a green light on the red line
Oddometer: 2,146
September is my favorite month, hands down. Afternoon rains have normally dried up, still warm in the day with crisp mornings, and very few bugs. Many will talk about hunting season but that is archery and muzzle loader, not many people and it has never been an issue for me. It can snow but if it does it usually doesn't stick around. If I was coming to Colorado to ride and kick around for four weeks it would probably be the last week of August and the first three of September. You would start rolling the dice after that, we can, however have some spectacular weather well into October.
__________________
'05 KTM 300 EXC - 1996 BMW R1100GS
grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft, Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,653
Agree with Grub 100% - but when you are planning a rally that people are going to plan their vacation around; you plan it for July to eliminate the weather variable.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer
 
GS Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: in the land of entrapment
Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
September is my favorite month, hands down. Afternoon rains have normally dried up, still warm in the day with crisp mornings, and very few bugs. Many will talk about hunting season but that is archery and muzzle loader, not many people and it has never been an issue for me. It can snow but if it does it usually doesn't stick around. If I was coming to Colorado to ride and kick around for four weeks it would probably be the last week of August and the first three of September. You would start rolling the dice after that, we can, however have some spectacular weather well into October.
Dude, shut up! there is no good riding in Colorado, EVER!

(hows the new bike?)
__________________
There is nothing I won't ride on your bike

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-or-bust View Post
Lots of reading and researching, including here on ADV, in State of Colorado catalogs, on-line, even Hiking forums, etc. has all lead me to believe that September is the best time to ride in Colorado --- miss the snow-pack in the upper Passes in June, the monsoons in July and August, crowds throughout the Summer, and much colder temps and possible snow in October...

I guess it's important to note that I am looking to fly out and ship my Husky TE610 and then ride solo throughout CO and down into southern UT, for 4 weeks, focussing on trails and Passes, and camping 90% of the nights.

And yet, it seems that all/most of the CO Rallies are in the "hot", "crowded", "monsoon season" of July???
July 18-20: Western Colorado Dirt Bike Ride
July 25-27: How the West was Won
July 27-30: Pre (RMAR) Rondy
July 31-Aug 3: RMAR
and the Colorado Classic 1000 on June 21-22

Did I miss something? Should I be more open to July, or August? I still am leaning towards September but would appreciate a little input from you local Inmates.

Thanks!
I think for you to miss the hot, crowded monsoon season here in Colorado, go directly to Utah. There is almost nobody there, its cooler in the mountains, and you will avoid the rainy sections you will occur in Colorado.
And no, you will not be missing anything except the above mentioned calamities.
Your welcome.
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
grub
Requires Supervision
 
grub's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Waiting for a green light on the red line
Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dave View Post
(hows the new bike?)
I've noticed a noise that sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine at idle, kinda weird, quiet as a mouse and smoooooth on the road, that's good though, it gives me something to worry about - I need that to be happy. How's the hand?
__________________
'05 KTM 300 EXC - 1996 BMW R1100GS
grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
neepuk
Such a drag...
 
neepuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redstone, CO
Oddometer: 1,534
September is my favorite month here in Colorado! Yes, in can snow but rarely will you get much of that and it melts right off when the sun pops out.
__________________
2014 KTM 150/200xc conversion 1993 BMW R100GS Paris Dakar 2001 BMW F650GS Dakar 1971 Yamaha CT-1 2007 Honda CRF150f 1977 Honda CT125 Chopper
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
highplains drifter
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 44
September

+1 for September. cool nights and short days but when the weather is nice it is fantastic. You can get snow but usually the heavier amounts come later and even October can be pretty decent
highplains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
http://frontrangeriders.com/?page_id=29
http://www.bmwriders.net/rallyregister.htm
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 09:57 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014