ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
travelsomewhere OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
New Mexico trip advice needed

Hi friends, a group of us Okies are planning to head to New Mex for a 4-5 day trip and i was looking for some advice on a good dirt loop to see the best of the state. It will probably be first of april and we will be entering around tucumcari we are guessing. Does anyone have any recommendations of some good routes/roads for the time of year? Good places to camp? Thank you
travelsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsomewhere View Post
Hi friends, a group of us Okies are planning to head to New Mex for a 4-5 day trip and i was looking for some advice on a good dirt loop to see the best of the state. It will probably be first of april and we will be entering around tucumcari we are guessing. Does anyone have any recommendations of some good routes/roads for the time of year? Good places to camp? Thank you
Many of the gates are still closed by april 1st, especially in the north...but with so little snow we got this year, they might be open for this loop:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886280

I will do this ride again, but not till May. From Abq south alot is open at that time.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
There's about 3 good days of riding in the Truth or Consequences area especially if you can get up into some of the mountains by then.

Search this forum for the Rubber Chicken ride for ideas.

Trails in the Cloudcroft area might be open by then too. Another good couple of days.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
travelsomewhere OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Sorry for the double post, hit enter twice

Thanks for the advice, sounds like south will be a bit warmer. I have done a bicycle race at Gila and that is a super cool area
travelsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,049
at that time, Gila
Old 02-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
tyjax
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Look at the Saddlerock area outside of Silver City. Lots of good trails. Probably going out there with some friends this next Saturday.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Gteamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I am thinking about riding down to Southern New Mexico on the 21st to do some hiking/camping/riding, just want to see some sights and feel some sun. I am not afraid of riding in cold weather, as I am a daily driver with heated gear and wind protection. I ride regularly over 30 minutes a day in sub 25*F temps. However, I AM afraid of cold nights.

I have slept in 25-30*F weather, in the rain, on top of a mountain, in a hammock, with a walmart sleeping bag. It did not go well.

So basically, I am asking where I should go, how cold it will get, what the temps during the day are, ect.

I have much better camping gear now, and am not interested in hotels.
Gteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gteamer View Post
I am thinking about riding down to Southern New Mexico on the 21st to do some hiking/camping/riding, just want to see some sights and feel some sun. I am not afraid of riding in cold weather, as I am a daily driver with heated gear and wind protection. I ride regularly over 30 minutes a day in sub 25*F temps. However, I AM afraid of cold nights.

I have slept in 25-30*F weather, in the rain, on top of a mountain, in a hammock, with a walmart sleeping bag. It did not go well.

So basically, I am asking where I should go, how cold it will get, what the temps during the day are, ect.

I have much better camping gear now, and am not interested in hotels.
It is cold at night as nearly the whole state is above 3800 ft, but warm during the day. In Deming right now 74 but it was 29 last night. You want warm night that is AZ as it is much lower..... but also a lot more crowded than NM.Might help if you start your own thread telling what bike you ride, time frame, dirt? asphalt? OR skills? Tell us what you need...
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Gteamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thank you for the advice. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject and actually cam the the conclusion that AZ was better for me this time of year. So I started a thread in the West forum.

Looks like I am just passing through NM this time.
Gteamer is offline   Reply With Quote