User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
HenryFL OP
Old: Molly

Oddometer: 98
Rider down, clavicle out

I got my first bike at 13. It was a 1983 KX 80. It was wicked. Then spent ten years riding trails and dunes wide open on everything up to 250 2 strokes. Never had a lot of crashes, never broke a bone.

Then got out of it and motorcycles were absent from my life until about five years ago when I decided I wanted to find a group and start adventure riding. Bought a bike and started farting around in the little local woods around my house in Southside Jax. Then I met these cads guys. I was so thrilled to finally meet some folks to ride with that I went and upgraded again a few weeks ago to a brand new WRR. Bought new gear, new boots, all the trimmings. And headed out for my 2nd real ride in close to 20 years yesterday.

And boom, a low speed off shattered my clavicle. The doctor used the word disaster to describe what the xrays look like. Going to the surgeon tomorrow. So I'm just back into the sport and I'm sidelined. Very distressing and frustrating. But my kids are taking great care of me.

Wanted to give a huge thanks to waybill, bobby ginger, koasrider and tim, for helping me get out of the woods and to the hopspital. You are all great guys who were helpful and comforting while I laid on the dirt at pain level 10. So thanks again. I hope I can treat you to a nice lunch or something on a future ride.

Also I was using a leatt adventure brace. I know they sit on the collar bone and some say they can worsen breaks there. Maybe that is what happened to me. However as much as this sucks, I can only assume that if the brace did put a lot of pressure on my clav, then it was pressure which might otherwise have gone into my neck. So I do still fully support use of the leatt and will always wear one.

And the bike has zero damage. Not a scratch. I was in first gear on deep sand.

Past: DR-Z400SM, XT225, KX250, CR125, CR250, RM125
HenryFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
HenryFL OP

Bobby ginger took my dirt nap photo and should post it here for posterity.

HenryFL screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 08:57 AM
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,922
My sympathies to you on the broken clavicle. BTDT, & it freaking hurts. Heal fast & ride soon.

A few years ago some of us CADS were on a ride west of Yulee. One went down in deep sand on his GS. I rode him out on my KLR, someone else rode his broken bike out & we met his wife with their trailer. She drove him to the hospital to find a broken shoulder.

All a long way of saying it's what we do.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,750
Heal quick, stuff happens! Good to see they're still doing what they always do. The cads crew takes care of them that ride with 'em.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,644
Get well, Henry! Mega blow.

And, yes, the leatt brace has been known to result in broken clavicles; but, it's that or a broken neck or concussion. Not to say falling straight down certainly had an effect, but if you didn't, the brace did as it's supposed to do.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
Dirtbikes go with broken Collarbones...I have done it 6 times...and 1 of the breaks was while riding a Trails bike. 6 weeks & you should be back...
Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 857

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,771
Sux d00d!

Hope you heal up quick.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
mikej55
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 53
I feel your pain. I broke my clavicle back in August on a low speed get off while on a tight trail. First bone I have ever broke also at age 54. Been riding all my life and never broke anything until now. They say we are not as young as we used to be! My clavicle healed fine with no surgery just a big bump now where it healed back together. I was riding again in four weeks but my biggest problem was I developed a "frozen shoulder" from keeping my arm in a sling for four weeks. Make sure you keep moving your arm and shoulder so you don't develop one too. My shoulder joint froze up. I had to go to therapy for six weeks trying to free it up and now after 6 months I am still getting over it. I wish someone had told me how not to develop frozen shoulder because it was much worse than the broken clavicle. Doctor told me it will take 18 to 24 months to completely get over a frozen shoulder!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
HenryFL OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej55 View Post
I feel your pain. I broke my clavicle back in August on a low speed get off while on a tight trail. First bone I have ever broke also at age 54. Been riding all my life and never broke anything until now. They say we are not as young as we used to be! My clavicle healed fine with no surgery just a big bump now where it healed back together. I was riding again in four weeks but my biggest problem was I developed a "frozen shoulder" from keeping my arm in a sling for four weeks. Make sure you keep moving your arm and shoulder so you don't develop one too. My shoulder joint froze up. I had to go to therapy for six weeks trying to free it up and now after 6 months I am still getting over it. I wish someone had told me how not to develop frozen shoulder because it was much worse than the broken clavicle. Doctor told me it will take 18 to 24 months to completely get over a frozen shoulder!
Geez. Well it feels really good to move the arm way out to the side and rest on a pillow, so I do that about fifty times a day. It's still severe pain but already starting to feel a little better. I'm typing 100% with both hands right now.

Saw surgeon today and decided to leave it be for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Golly that picture of me there looks f-ing pitiful. That's a first class dirt nap right there. A freaking smack down.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Did you high side with the throttle pinned?

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Did you high side with the throttle pinned?
I distinctly remember someone saying that was impossible.
r_bin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,922
Dibs on the evil bike.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #14
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_bin View Post
I distinctly remember someone saying that was impossible.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #15
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFL View Post
Geez. Well it feels really good to move the arm way out to the side and rest on a pillow, so I do that about fifty times a day. It's still severe pain but already starting to feel a little better. I'm typing 100% with both hands right now.

Saw surgeon today and decided to leave it be for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Golly that picture of me there looks f-ing pitiful. That's a first class dirt nap right there. A freaking smack down.
Give it 10 days...look for Heated Swimming Pool / Spa. Once in the water you'll get about 90% of movement without putting strain on the break. My right elbow is still not 100% straight from a broken Shoulder as a teenager, because it was kept from moving for too long ...keep it moving