Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #16
HenryFL OP
Old: Molly

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
Give it 10 days...look for Heated Swimming Pool / Spa. Once in the water you'll get about 90% of movement without putting strain on the break. My right elbow is still not 100% straight from whicha broken Shoulder as a teenager, because it was kept from moving for too long ...keep it moving
I have a heated swimming pool in my back yard, that's a good idea to try. my kids will be shocked to see me get in the damn thing because I haven't in years.

it was a high side at about maybe fifteen mph in a deep little rutted patch of sand. throttle not pinned but accelerating. not even really sure what happened since I got Earth punched. maybe I let off a bit which I wouldn't normally do in sand. the patch was only about twenty feet long so I guess I didn't use the normal amount of caution. and my follower said my bike sliding a lot all day, which it was. I bought full knobbies but didn't install them yet and was on the brand new trail wings. folks seem to say those are not great. the ride was trouble free up until that.

Past: DR-Z400SM, XT225, KX250, CR125, CR250, RM125
HenryFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
HenryFL OP

the more I think about it, it just was not that bad of an off. I think the leatt brace did me in on the collar bone. otherwise I might have gotten up and kept going. still, highly support the brace and will continue its use.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #18
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFL View Post
the more I think about it, it just was not that bad of an off. I think the leatt brace did me in on the collar bone. otherwise I might have gotten up and kept going. still, highly support the brace and will continue its use.
I like the idea of a neck brace too and didn't get the leatt because of collarbone and thoracic spine concerns. I got this one which is now on closeout at RM:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...-X1-Neck-Brace

If it fits your armor, this might be an option for you...

nevermind screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 05:11 AM
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #19
mikej55
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
I did not have my shoulder pads on when I fell and beat myself up for not having them. Doctor said it probably would not have mattered any way. He said when you fall just right no gear will keep you from breaking it! I had been looking for some new shoulder pads is why I did not have them on. I now wear the Fox body armour and won't be caught again without it! Just better peace of mind wearing something!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 914
I have a video where Karen did a quick high side but she got up and said to me "I told you", in reference to she wasn't ready for the deep sand. Happened in 2010. Preview pic:

Hope you have a speedy recovery as the season is just starting.

Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #21
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebert View Post
I have a video where Karen did a quick high side but she got up and said to me... "Bitch, I told you", in reference to she wasn't ready for the deep sand.

Fixt!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #22
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Fixt!
You ought to hear the audio. Will post tomorrow after I edit.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #23
TitaniumKaren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100

Hope the healing goes well !
T.K.

TitaniumKaren screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 09:30 PM
TitaniumKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #24
Davebert
Too damn serious!

As promised...in slow motion even! (I got it on film I think)

edit: (fixed quality setting)

Davebert screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 08:33 PM
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #25
Orange Crushed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
T-Shirt - Got it!

Henry,
I had a similar situation with my PAR FF's (Friendly Fellows) who took very good care of me when I had just gotten back into riding and upgraded from a KLR250 to a 2010 KTM 530 EXC. I did a high side at xxx mph. Could not have been over 35 mph since that's the speed limit on the range where we frequent often. So at age 52 I had a broken clavicle with a brand new bike sitting in the garage for 8 weeks! Hang in there and you will be out with the CAD's before you know it. I am now very careful to observe all posted speed limits the same as the rest of my PAR friends.
Orange Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebert View Post
As promised...in slow motion even! (I got it on film I think)

First, I hope Karen is OK! Second, the distance she flew appeared to approach Olympic proportions. Perhaps a try-out is in order?

FWIW, I have a shot of my r1200gs in approximately the same configuration whilst riding with Wolfgang and Co. This was after picking 'er up:

Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #27
HenryFL OP

I tell you guys something, I'm going to get a Scott's steering damper, install the full dirt knobbies which are in my garage, and do some sand practice. when I recover that is. gosh it just frustrates me that this happened. I used to ride dunes all day on my RM and KX at about sixty when i was a teenager. hundreds and hundred of times. for years. I don't ever remember even thinking about the sand as a problem. now I'm going to be weary of it forever. an 80s race bike is a whole other level of performance then a wrr of course. I guess that's the diff. we had a huge bowl that truck's hardly dared go in with a loop about maybe 300 yards around with a downhill jump in the middle. we would go wide open, you know on a 2t when it's at max rpm in top gear way over the power band and it feels like it's surging and cutting off, like that. and we'd jump that hill and get at least 75 ft distance. everyone would sit there to see who sailed farthest. I did that a thousand times. that sand was so deep you almost couldn't walk in it. never a problem.

this thing is still excruciating if I move it wrong, but otherwise I feel great. my whole entire right pectoral is a light shade of purple green. all the way down to my ribs.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 AM   #28
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Quote:
I tell you guys something, I'm going to get a Scott's steering damper, install the full dirt knobbies which are in my garage, and do some sand practice. when I recover that is.
Heal quick, Henry! I had Michelin s12xc knobbies and a Scotts on my CADS bike and the same is going on my new-to-me 525. Practicing and finding out how the bike handles sounds like a great idea! FWIW, the colors are just the healing light show, enjoy 'em while they last!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #29
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,884
Quote:
this thing is still excruciating if I move it wrong, but otherwise I feel great. my whole entire right pectoral is a light shade of purple green. all the way down to my ribs.
Sorry for the injury. Broke mine twice over the years, always the right side...

Sand can get you no matter you past experience, but it will get you the most when you aren't thinking about it and just riding along. Whip whip your are down! Just like Karen's video.

not much they can do for you either. Arm in a sling and wait to heal. You might try heading to Colorado for some pain reliever that "folks tell me" works great.

Heal up soon!

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #30
HenryFL OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Sorry for the injury. Broke mine twice over the years, always the right side...

Sand can get you no matter you past experience, but it will get you the most when you aren't thinking about it and just riding along. Whip whip your are down! Just like Karen's video.

not much they can do for you either. Arm in a sling and wait to heal. You might try heading to Colorado for some pain reliever that "folks tell me" works great.

Heal up soon!
I want to go to Colorado so i can ride without sand !