User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
MADSTROM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,401
Blue Grass Valley of Virginia

With the break in the weather, I took a little ride today (2-22-2014) to "Blue Grass Valley" in Highland County Virginia . Total rountrip 376 miles in beautiful weather with clear skies. Winds did whip up in the afternoon which caused a few anxious moments . Temperatures ranged from 29 Degrees F. early A.M. to mid 60s by late afternoon. The mountain roads were covered in gravel and cinder. There were more than enough melting/frozen snow/ice run-off patches across the roads to keep me on my toes.

For more snow pictures here's a link to my ride last year: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756833

Here's a link that describes this place very eloquently: http://www.country-magazine.com/road...s-valley-road/

Here's a screen shot of the round trip Route. From Richmond , Virginia to Blue Grass Valley

Note: For the most enjoyable viewing adjust your screen size to 110-115% and center the pictures so they fill your screen. That's as close as you can get to experiencing the panoramic views there.

Here's a few of the 93 shots I took today:

1st stop coffee Sheetz Fishersville, Va

Confederate Breastworks http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/Event...ain-Trail-Hike

The following shots are of Blue Grass Valley

Downtown Blue Grass Circa 19 teens?

Same basic shot Today 2-22-2014 - Had Brunch there today.

More Valley Shots -

Snowy Mountain is in the distance in all the shots looking north. It marks the northern boundary of Blue Grass Valley and is on the West Virginia line. The Valley is approximately 30 miles long and is bounded by the West Viginia line on the north and west. Germany Valley is the next major valley to the north in WV accessed via Rte 33. It's similar to Blue Grass Valley but that's another ride and story.

Lots of Newborn Lambs today. Spring can't be far behind.

I want the house with the Red roof - That farm was for sale a couple of years ago. (838mm zoom shot)

Stainless Steel maple syrup collection tanks with plastic tubing running from each tree. This collection system was in several places down the valley.

Great Camping Facility in Bath County

Frozen Lake - Beach

Camp Sites right on the lake.

Bath House

Picnic Shelter

MADSTROM screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 07:08 AM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Dusty1013
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Cool pics, good weekend to get out. Lots of snow still around up here in Pa.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 204
Thanks for the pics. Blue Grass valley is my all time favorite ride. It just doesn't get more beautiful than that.

I liked your before and after pics. Blue Grass hasn't changed that much in almost a hundred years.

Also good pics of the Bath County Pump Storage facilities. I can still remember when it was being built. There used to be a small visitors center that had some nice displays of the operation there. I wish they would bring it back.

Most people don't realize that there is an upper reservoir and three 28' diameter tunnels that move the water back and forth between the reservoirs.
If I remember correctly, the vertical drop from the upper to lower reservoir is about 1500'.
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
MADSTROM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdirtbiker View Post
Thanks for the pics. Blue Grass valley is my all time favorite ride. It just doesn't get more beautiful than that.

I liked your before and after pics. Blue Grass hasn't changed that much in almost a hundred years.

Also good pics of the Bath County Pump Storage facilities. I can still remember when it was being built. There used to be a small visitors center that had some nice displays of the operation there. I wish they would bring it back.

Most people don't realize that there is an upper reservoir and three 28' diameter tunnels that move the water back and forth between the reservoirs.
If I remember correctly, the vertical drop from the upper to lower reservoir is about 1500'.

Thanks, I ride out there at least a half a dozen times a year. I'd live live there in a heart beat if I had a choice.
I was nuclear a technical buyer for Virginia Power for 24 years. I've also been to Bath many times to work on various projects. Speaking as a true gear head that place is absolutely AWSOME!!! Most people drive right by it and have no clue how massive that place and it's sytems really are. I've been all over the place including a 4 wheeling excursion all around the upper reservoir. It's the largest pumped storage generation facility in the world. It's truly an invisible giant. Here's a good read on it:

https://www.dom.com/about/stations/h...ge-station.jsp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_Co...torage_Station

https://www.google.com/search?q=bath...w=1519&bih=767

MADSTROM screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 08:34 PM
Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Nice report and pics.

Just curious, what are you shooting with?
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
MADSTROM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Nice report and pics.

Just curious, what are you shooting with?
Sony DSC-HX100v Super Zoom. It does anything I need. I never take my Canon T3 with me.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Sony DSC-HX100v Super Zoom. It does anything I need. I never take my Canon T3 with me.
I can see why, this set of photo's is fantastic, especially for such harsh lighting.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
MADSTROM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah ... It was extremely bright. I just set it to the "Super Auto" mode. It does extemely well in any lighting including extremely bright to near darkness. It's an extremely versatile camera. It does great panaramas in either direction, movies in1080P, Macro to Telephoto and you don't have to be a professional to captue great shots. I'm sold on Sonys. And, it fits very easily in "Bags Connection City Bag" Tank Bag with plenty of room to spare. It's a medium sized 12-18 liter bag .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
I can see why, this set of photo's is fantastic, especially for such harsh lighting.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
RedneckRider
Lost Again !!!

Oddometer: 29
Blue Grass Valley is a most awesome place to ride ! Especially in the summer. I did Rte 642 out of Blue Grass over the mountain, hit FR54 at the WV line, by Lake Buffalo and came out on Rte 28 near the Rte 250 intersection, last summer. Fantastic ride, the rhododendron was still in bloom !!!! Also ridden Hardscrabble Rd (Rte 640) over to Snowy Mtn Rd and on to Cherry Grove. So many great rides out there !!! Planning on spending a couple of weeks in the Marlinton area this summer riding some of their FR's and CR's.
RedneckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
MADSTROM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRider View Post
Blue Grass Valley is a most awesome place to ride ! Especially in the summer. I did Rte 642 out of Blue Grass over the mountain, hit FR54 at the WV line, by Lake Buffalo and came out on Rte 28 near the Rte 250 intersection, last summer. Fantastic ride, the rhododendron was still in bloom !!!! Also ridden Hardscrabble Rd (Rte 640) over to Snowy Mtn Rd and on to Cherry Grove. So many great rides out there !!! Planning on spending a couple of weeks in the Marlinton area this summer riding some of their FR's and CR's.
You should see it when snow is on the ground. AWESOME!!!! I have pictures of it from a ride through there during mid winter a couple of years ago. 642 is the only road I haven't ridden. I've been looking at it on Google for a couple of years. I asked at the General Store in Blue Grass this weekend and the locals said it's pretty decent on the VA said but gets pretty chewed up on the WV side. I'm fine on forrestry roads but I hate it when it turns to rutted, wet, slimy clay and cabbage sized rocks, etc. Not fun. How did you find it? Do you have any pictures.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 05:10 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
Shhhhh, no one wants to visit BG Valley it's ugly, crowded, and smells, so everyone else should stay away
Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
MADSTROM OP
Beastly Adventurer

True ... the sheep out number the people 10 to 1. And there almost as many cows and a few nasty Llamas. Pew!!!!! It's also NOT a place to go racing through. The road surface is often covered in gravel. It's a place for putting slowly through, taking pictures and soaking in the scenery. The residents a very friendly now. Show some respect. Let's not screw it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Shhhhh, no one wants to visit BG Valley it's ugly, crowded, and smells, so everyone else should stay away

MADSTROM screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 05:21 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
James Cook
O.H.M.S

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
True ... the sheep out number the people 10 to 1. And there almost as many cows and a few nasty Llamas. Pew!!!!! It's also NOT a place to go racing through. The road surface is often covered in gravel. It's a place for putting slowly through, taking pictures and soaking in the scenery. The residents a very friendly now. Show some respect. Let's not screw it up.
Sounds a bit like around here. Nice photo's
James Cook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
RedneckRider
Lost Again !!!

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
You should see it when snow is on the ground. AWESOME!!!! I have pictures of it from a ride through there during mid winter a couple of years ago. 642 is the only road I haven't ridden. I've been looking at it on Google for a couple of years. I asked at the General Store in Blue Grass this weekend and the locals said it's pretty decent on the VA said but gets pretty chewed up on the WV side. I'm fine on forrestry roads but I hate it when it turns to rutted, wet, slimy clay and cabbage sized rocks, etc. Not fun. How did you find it? Do you have any pictures.
I was riding it in late spring and had no problems at all. The Va side is in really good shape, the WV side had a few not so great spots, but nothing my trusty '99 KLR couldn't handle! I would even attempt it ( in spring, summer, fall) on my '09 f800 ! Sorry I don't have any pics. I haven't figured out a way to safely carry my Canon digital SLR without bouncing it to death !!!
RedneckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
MADSTROM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRider View Post
I was riding it in late spring and had no problems at all. The Va side is in really good shape, the WV side had a few not so great spots, but nothing my trusty '99 KLR couldn't handle! I would even attempt it ( in spring, summer, fall) on my '09 f800 ! Sorry I don't have any pics. I haven't figured out a way to safely carry my Canon digital SLR without bouncing it to death !!!

Thanks for the info. It's now on my definite to do list for early this year.

Yeah, if you don't take your camera you don't get the pictures. That's why I carry my trusty do everything Sony DSC-HX100V Super Zoom. It's half the size of my Canon T3. I don't have to carry a bunch of lenses and it's small enough to fit in my cushioned tank bag with room to spare. I can't see any significant difference in quality of the pictures between the 2 cameras. I have thousands of photos from a lot of special places from over the last several years. When cabin fever sets in, I just open Windows Live Gallery and run a slide show to get my fix on those shut in days. They also give me ideas for new rides to places I have'nt yet explored.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 09:59 AM