Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
642 is the only road I haven't ridden. I've been looking at it on Google for a couple of years. I asked at the General Store in Blue Grass this weekend and the locals said it's pretty decent on the VA said but gets pretty chewed up on the WV side. I'm fine on forrestry roads but I hate it when it turns to rutted, wet, slimy clay and cabbage sized rocks, etc. Not fun. How did you find it? Do you have any pictures.
I've been through 642/FR-54/FR-55(Allegheny Rd) a few times, once when it was wet. There is no rutted, slimy, clay or cabbage sized rocks. Most of it is nice graded gravel(a few small pot holes), with just a small amount of rougher road on FR-55. I'd do all three roads on my ST-1100 without thinking about it, even if it was a little wet.

This is the intersection of FR-55(to the right) and FR-54 at the end of April 2011. I took the pic with the VA/WV border behind me.

This is 642 about 2/3 the way up the mountain in April 2012. It was wet then.

This is FR-55(Allegheny Rd) about 4 miles south of SR-28 last summer. Most of the road looks like this, with a couple of rougher places. He picked up a staple somewhere.

I might head down that way from the Laurel Fork camp out again this spring.

There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
$5 Smug Mug coupon
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
MADSTROM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
I've been through 642/FR-54/FR-55(Allegheny Rd) a few times, once when it was wet. There is no rutted, slimy, clay or cabbage sized rocks. Most of it is nice graded gravel(a few small pot holes), with just a small amount of rougher road on FR-55. I'd do all three roads on my ST-1100 without thinking about it, even if it was a little wet.

This is the intersection of FR-55(to the right) and FR-54 at the end of April 2011. I took the pic with the VA/WV border behind me.

This is 642 about 2/3 the way up the mountain in April 2012. It was wet then.

This is FR-55(Allegheny Rd) about 4 miles south of SR-28 last summer. Most of the road looks like this, with a couple of rougher places. He picked up a staple somewhere.

I might head down that way from the Laurel Fork camp out again this spring.
The road looks very similar to the Forrestry Roads and County Routes around Laurel Forks Wilderness area most of which I've ridden over the last several years. I can make a loop starting in Blue Grass Valley out to 28 across the road at Thornwood and up to Laurel Fork wilderness! Excellent! Thanks for the info, photos and posting!!!
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,886
If you go north on FR-55(Allegheny Rd) to SR-28, you can take CR-28/10(Sawmill Run Rd) or FR-112 to the top of the Mountain and then go west to Laurel Fork. CR-28/10 is paved part the way.

There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
$5 Smug Mug coupon
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote