ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
Registrg Used Bike frm WV Dealer in Maryland

I am confused about this process, and was hoping someone could explain before I go to the DMV and find out I don't have all the paperwork I need...

Today I bought a used (590 miles) 2013 DR650 at Romney's Cycles in WV (Scwiiingg!.. ahem). Anyway, they gave me a WV temp tag and I paid a title fee and sales tax.

If I had bought new, the dealership could have gotten me a MD hard tag and this would be a non-issue. Since the bike is used I'll need an inspection slip, and Romney is not MD State Inspection licensed, so I have to get it inspected in MD.

But what about the sales tax? Will I have to pay that to WV and to MD? Do I have to wait until I get the WV title in the mail before I go to the DMV or will the Bill of Sale and WV registration be enough? Another thing is the Bill of Sale isn't notarized. Will they be sticklers about that? I have all the loan paperwork- it's obviously a dealer sale with a clear price..

Has anyone here gone through a similar situation?

Thanks for any illumination on this......
Old 11-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Not a MVA expert but you will need the Title and MD inspection.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
But what about the sales tax? Will I have to pay that to WV and to MD? Do I have to wait until I get the WV title in the mail before I go to the DMV or will the Bill of Sale and WV registration be enough?
If you want to plate it in MD it will have to have a MD title. When you transfer the title you will pay MD sales tax.

You will need the WV title to transfer the title , plus MD inspection paper, and ins to get plates.

Bill of sale, WV temp registration, & loan papers will get you nowhere.
20% Smug Mug Credit

WayneJ screwed with this post 11-22-2014 at 06:39 PM
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
If you want to plate it in MD it will have to have a MD title. When you transfer the title you will pay MD sales tax.

You will need the WV title to transfer the title , plus MD inspection paper, and ins to get plates.

Bill of sale, WV temp registration, & loan papers will get you nowhere.
That's what I was afraid of. So basically the dealer screwed me. He told me before I went down there it would be tagged and ready. When I got there he told me about the State inspection thing. I should have bought the bike without the WV temp tag and just gotten the tag in MD once the WV title came through. Now I'm paying tax twice. Looks like I have some phone calls to make....
Old 11-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Please let us know what Romney says. I was thinking they sell a fair amount of bikes to out of staters and should know the drill.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mica View Post
Please let us know what Romney says. I was thinking they sell a fair amount of bikes to out of staters and should know the drill.

Yeah. I should say I don't think they did this on purpose- the kid who I was dealing with had not handled an out of state used buy before. I'm sure they will straighten it out fairly. Besides this I was really happy with the service and the price.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,764
The dealer didn't screw you, they sold the bike in WV and gave you a WV temp tag.
To give you this tag they have to show that they collected tax on it.

When you get your WV title you'll need to transfer it to MD and get the MD state inspection.
Then MD can screw you out of the tax again.

I don't know if you trailered or rode it home, but if you trailered it then you would not have needed a temp tag.
They still have to do the paperwork for the WV title tho.

Not sure if you showing that you paid WV tax would help you in MD or not, as they just want their money.

Best option is to move to WV, since your bike is already titled there
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I bought my Suzuki TU250x from Romney back in 2010 ,Paid cash,They delivered the bike to my house in Glen Burnie Md. The title showed up in the mail a few days later. Went to the DMV Paid the MD sales tax and tag and title fees,showed proof of insurance,Done deal.

I suspect if you have proof of inspection added to that pile of info you should be good to go.

Quite a few Folks in states that surround Romney have bought bikes this way.
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Not sure if you showing that you paid WV tax would help you in MD or not, as they just want their money.
They will get the money.

Quote:

This.

The OP getting a WV title sounds a little strange to me, what with him being a MD resident. Don't you have to be a WV resident, with a WV address to title a vehicle in WV?
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,605
So.. lesson here is, if buying from an out of state dealer, do not tag and have them deliver, and you will not have to pay taxes in the dealer's state?

MD will get their sales tax.... on USED vehicles... A friggin crime imo.

Out of all the vehicles I have owned I never bought one from and out of state dealer, so this is interesting.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
When you get the inspection done, make super-sure the letters & numbers are super-obvious on the form I mean COMPLETELY super obvious. I had an inspection form turned away at the DMV because the clerk thought a 5 was an S or the reverse or whatever so the record wouldn't come up and she refused to try the alternative. Wasted a couple days on that one. It was suggested to me to to just get back in line and try someone else... might've worked or might not.

Wouldn't mind getting out of MD either, would head up to NH if I had the option...

Maybe the bike had a WV title already and they signed it over? Then MD would transfer it.. thats where the states get their $$$ and their sales/excise taxes. Getting a real WV tag seems unnecessary unless the OP was going to ride it home then a WV temp tag would be in order which would be cheap.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
Don't you have to be a WV resident, with a WV address to title a vehicle in WV?
Being a WV dealer they are unable to title it in any other state.
If MD would allow them to register as a MD titling agency they could give you a MD title. But I really don't see that happening.

They sell a lot of bikes to folks in other states.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #13
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
The dealer didn't screw you, they sold the bike in WV and gave you a WV temp tag.
To give you this tag they have to show that they collected tax on it.

When you get your WV title you'll need to transfer it to MD and get the MD state inspection.
Then MD can screw you out of the tax again.

I don't know if you trailered or rode it home, but if you trailered it then you would not have needed a temp tag.
They still have to do the paperwork for the WV title tho.

Well, he might not have screwed me on purpose, but I would have done things differently if I'd known about this rigamarole. Like I said, I was told before I arrived the bike would be hard-tagged and ready to go. Only when I got there did he spring the State Inspection stuff on me.
I brought the bike home in my truck, so I didn't need a temp tag from WV. I could have skipped that part.
I'll investigate this Monday. I can't believe I'll have to pay tax twice. If intrastate internet commerce isn't taxed twice, why would an out of state vehicle sale be taxed twice?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounce View Post
When you get the inspection done, make super-sure the letters & numbers are super-obvious on the form I mean COMPLETELY super obvious. I had an inspection form turned away at the DMV because the clerk thought a 5 was an S or the reverse or whatever so the record wouldn't come up and she refused to try the alternative. Wasted a couple days on that one. It was suggested to me to to just get back in line and try someone else... might've worked or might not.

Wouldn't mind getting out of MD either, would head up to NH if I had the option...

Maybe the bike had a WV title already and they signed it over? Then MD would transfer it.. thats where the states get their $$$ and their sales/excise taxes. Getting a real WV tag seems unnecessary unless the OP was going to ride it home then a WV temp tag would be in order which would be cheap.
Yeah, been here too. I had to cajole a State Trooper into verifying the VIN on a bike in the MVA parking lot and then tell the counter help. Maybe one of her super-long fingernails was blocking a numeral on the slip.

I would move to WV in a heartbeat if I thought I could find a job. There's not much in my line of work down there that pays. MD sucks out loud in a lot of ways.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #15
desmocourtney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Save yourself the headache of dealing with the MVA and use a tag and title service.

I have been rejected on technicalities at the MVA and gone across the street to Terry's Tag and Title and walked out with tags in less time than I waited at the MVA.

Agreed, Maryland sucks and its getting worse.
desmocourtney is online now   Reply With Quote