Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
BajaTJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Cracking a cold one and popping some corn !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BajaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
I'm in badda bing
Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,890
In, wait... September 2014? Are these just the previews or is this a trip into the future? I'm doing a big chunk of this trip in July, so does that mean I'm going before you? Either way, bring on the pics so I, I mean "we," can see what we're in for!
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 251
subscribed!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
In, wait... September 2014? Are these just the previews or is this a trip into the future? I'm doing a big chunk of this trip in July, so does that mean I'm going before you? Either way, bring on the pics so I, I mean "we," can see what we're in for!

I was just going to comment that this is the first ride report I've seen come from the future!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYO George View Post
I was just going to comment that this is the first ride report I've seen come from the future!
Further proof that High5 is ahead of his time.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #22
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 190
Awesome! Time travel now.

Subscribed
Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 852

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #24
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Mmmm looks like fun!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #25
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Back to the Future

Here's my purdy horsey ready for its first major adventure.

I fell in love with this Husky TR650 Terra on my first test ride. Had it about 9 months before departing on this trip. So, plenty of time to work out the kinks and prep the machine. Smoothest 650 Thumper I've ever ridden. Thinking it will be the perfect combination of road and trail duty for such a trip as this.

Right on time, 10-Cup arrives at Rancho HighFive chomping at the bit. We don't need no stinking trailer! I'll cover nearly 4,500 miles on this trip over the next 14 days. No whiners allowed!

Nice guy, fit to ride, it was great meeting this way. We met on ADV and collaborated on a few projects. He's a wealth of bike knowledge and very creative at custom modifications. His horse is bigger than mine, and I think he was a bit worried if I could keep up. Ask him what he thinks now...

We raced Westward 600 miles to intercept the CDT near Taos, NM. No plans to go to the Mexican border, we'd start in the mountains and head north on the Trail. Let's not talk about Oklahoma, and just say we did. I've seen it all enough times already.

EXCEPT for one important stop.

An extremely important site. The place General George Armstrong Custard made his basecamp during the Winter Campaign long about 1870 +/- (I forget exact year….it was after the Civil War ended in 1865). He marched down from Ft. Dodge, Kansas, and setup his "Camp Supply" to serve as a supply outpost for his troops during the Indian campaign. He was sent here to stop the renegade Indians from wrecking all the havoc on settlers and herd them back to the Reservations. Very interesting history, worthy of some study. Surprising how many people fly right by this place and never knew anything about its significance. It later became Fort Supply, and now is just a small town with the same name. Guess you could say the old Fort stockade is still a prison now. Located a bit west of Woodward, OK, on Hwy 412.

Onward….gotta have some red dirt.

And some beautiful mountain twisties, as we enter New Mexico.

The portion of the Rockies in northern New Mexico are some of my absolute favorite. I LOVE riding there….anytime….anywhere.

I should just move there and be done with it!

Brief lunch stop in Taos at a great Mexican joint, and we are itching to hit the trail. 10-Cup knows the route and is Trailboss now. I'm happy to pull rear security. Happy to be on the DIRT.

The weather was real nice today. What a blessing! Made for a great start.

Though my photos don't show it, there were several rocky sections in this portion of trail. No problem mind you, but some parts slowed to a crawl as you picked your way through the rock piles up and down hills. All fun stuff. Not much that required many "points" (or dabs of your foot to the ground). It was impressive to watch 10-Cup wrestle his beast thru some of it. He made it look easy, though he says it made him really sweat at times. All in all a gorgeous ride thru New Mexico.

I'm sure 10-Cup has some good photos to post too…..whenever he shows up to the party.

Several nice places to camp along this route. Here was my favorite spot in NM portion.

Best part…..nobody else was here. Nope….none….nada. It was AWESOME!

Next morning….weather feels like its changing. An eerie ominous feeling. But I keep it to myself. However, the arthritic shoulder never lies to me. It knows somethings out there. Another day, maybe two…

My camera is an older model point & shoot, but with nice control features. I call it "Wheezer" and its a Cannon A590is, for all you camera buffs out there. Nothing special, mind you. It gets the job done. I do wish I had my DSLR on this trip. NEXT TIME I will. Oh, you can bet I'll be back. The CDR is really special, and I've got some unfinished business out there.

For the record, none of the photos you will see in this report are doctored in any way. I don't even own a copy of photoshop. And, I don't have time to mess with each one in cheesy iphoto before uploading ADV. I do use Lightroom and love that program, but didn't bother uploading any of these photos into LR. So, you're seeing it just like I shot it….good or bad. My best adventure buddy, Monty, is a REAL good photographer. And, he's been coaching me on improving my compositions and use of lighting. Makes our trips a lot of fun. Wish he'd been on this one. But 10-Cup was real good company too. We were having a grand time of it….until somebody pulled the stopper on the great bathtub in the sky!

HF

p.s. guess I'll fix that typo now....hate to spoil the "future" theme, though.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 09:27 PM Reason: spelling
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #26
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Awesome!

I'm in! Love CDR reports. Looks like a good one so far.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #27
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 796
Sweet!

Just convinced my buddy to pick up a Terra last week.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #28
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 388
Great reading + pics.

Thanks,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 AM   #29
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
In ! (subscribed)

Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #30
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
It was a real treat to ride with HF and when I rolled into Rancho High Five I was struck by how peaceful the setting was. He has a beautiful family too. Like me he married way over his head My wife and I are going on 47 years of marriage and she has always let me ride when I feel the need, I think HF gets away when he wants to as well. Fantastic, I was stoked about this ride.

HF lead us out of the Tulsa traffic and we rolled up pavement in route to a little restaurant in Clayton, NM where we planned on stopping for lunch. By the way the Terra has no problem with speed on the highway or on the trail.

Like HF said getting across Oklahoma was just that, man it was hot.

Camp supply was a nice stop, glad HF knew about it....course he got thrown in the brig but what the heck. I'd just have to break him out and make a run for it.

I got thrown into one of the "dark" cells....so much for the quick getaway..

We rolled into Clayton NM and the planned stock was closed so we continued on anxious to hit some dirt.

We pulled off the pavement onto the CDR and stopped to airdown tires and take a break.

It had been a long day when we finally stopped to pitch the tent (or hammock in HF's case) It had been a great day, we covered lots of ground and were plenty tired. sleeping tonight would be no problem.

Wasn't long and HF had a fire going and we started to settle in.

End of the first day........

10Cup screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 09:02 AM
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote