KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #32
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,125
Subscribed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I'm doing a big chunk of this trip in July, so does that mean I'm going before you? Either way, bring on the pics so I, I mean "we," can see what we're in for!
rly???
Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #33
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Subscribed!!!

Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing
I'm doing a big chunk of this trip in July, so does that mean I'm going before you? Either way, bring on the pics so I, I mean "we," can see what we're in for!

rly???
OK, so I'm doing a big chunk of this trip with Cuttle.

OK,OK, so I'm scared to go by myself so I begged Cuttle to go with me. I need someone to protect me from the Moos'ees (not that she's ever seen a moose).

Now, let's get on with this RR already!
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #34
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
The next morning as we headed out I was a bit apprehensive as it had rained during the night and we were on some strictly dirt and very sketchy trails. Though it wasn't bad at all.

It wasn't long after this though that we came upon a very steep section of trail that was all baby head rocks, it wound down and down then emptied out into some pretty severe eroded sections. I was working pretty hard during this section, didn't even take a picture. I was more worried about getting through it with the big GS. Happy to say that all went fine though. Here is a short video of the eroded (easy part)

We had some beautiful roads later in the morning that weren't so technical.

Came up on a bunch of guys on dirt bikes. I told them I would take a picture of them and put them in my ride report but if they broke my camera they'd have to pay for it. They all got a kick out of that. Great bunch.

End of day two, we stopped at the Storm King camp ground in the middle of Colorado and had the place to ourselves. HF surveyed the trees and found some he like to hang has hammock to so we pulled in and set up.

Very quiet and beautiful area.

Wasn't long and HF had the fire going good.

End of day two......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

10Cup screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 11:31 AM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #35
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,788
Laugh I'm in, looks like it's going to be a good ride.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #36
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Me too; In!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #37
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Great start. I'm in.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #38
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,126
I was hoping that 10Cup would provide daily updates as he's retireded and High5 would provide nightly ones as he's a wage slave.

You're up High5!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #39
matt-c6v9
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 28
Dude, dude, dude, dude!......

Bring it on....!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #40
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,637
Yeah...yeah...well, its been a busy day in the TOC.

Now where was I...hhhmmm....something about photos not being doctored. I guess I should further qualify that to be the following: "none of my photos have been enhanced in any way". I can't speak for 10-Cup. Just to set the record straight.

Does it matter? Probably to somebody.

So, might as well deal with all the sticky questions that matter, here & now:

If you think it looks too easy, you're wrong.

If you think it looks too hard, you're wrong.

If you think you need a posse, you're wrong.

If you think you need a chase truck, you're wrong.

If you think you need a motel every night, you're definitely wrong.

If you think you can't make it solo, you're right.

If you think you can make it solo, you might be right.

Hope that clears up all the confusion.

Carryon....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 07:39 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #41
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

1st day….2nd day….3rd day…..I donno.

I just ride. Usually with no route, no plan, & no schedule. I just go whatever way looks good, until I find another way that looks even gooder. Then I go there. Makes me feel like a real Explorer in a new world. At least until I hit a fence or locked gate. But this trip was a little different. 10-Cup said we had to follow these little bread crumbs on the gps. It made me hungry staring at the crumbs. I probably stopped too often to eat a granola bar and take photos.

I've gotten caught after going thru gates, by the way....down in Texas Hill Country. Garmin said it was a County Road. But the worst that's ever happened, I just had to backtrack. HATE backtracking. Its against my creed. It can bring out the ugly side of me.

Onward….always onward.

I know I've already shown this picture. Enjoy it again! Nothing better than riding thru Aspen forests (IMHO).

I'm trying to show the trail progression and along about here is where I took it. Wherever "here" happened to be.

Somewhere on Colorado side on the climb to Marshall Pass, I believe. I remember that fresh graded road, full of fluffy soft dirt. And then the darkening sky. And then the clashing of lightening and booming thunder. And the sinking feeling of Oh Sh%t….this road is about to become bigger-than-life, gumbo soup and I've got a few thousand feet to climb yet!

Its what I get for stopping to take a picture for you. Somebody else was already high & dry when I got up top.

But we were both anxious to get off this hill before being fried by lightening.

The big fat rain drops were starting to drop on us like smart bombs…..splat….splat! Just intermittent, but IT was coming.

The Blob was rolling in to swallow us!

Someone left the faucet running in heaven and it overflowed the sink……spilling on us. Why the nerve of them! We made a mad dash down thru Poncha Pass into Salida to seek refuge in a cheap motel.

Sometime during the night, a hurricane settled on Salida. Now, I've lived on the Gulf Coast for 3 years. Been thru a hurricane or two. THAT was a hurricane in them there hills, I'm telling you. BUT as always, tomorrow is a New Day.

And the Game was about to change….

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 07:53 PM
Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #42
tommo2
Michiganee

Oddometer: 219
flood

I was down in Albuquerque when it hit. Flash floods all over the mesas. Impressive. Good rr.
tommo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #43
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Now I must admit, no amount of rain was going to stop me from getting to Grimo's Italian Restaurant in Poncha Springs the night before. IF I ever get near Salida, I'm eating dinner at Grimo's! And fortunately, it was only raining cats & dogs long about then. I think 10-Cup liked it.

Similar story next morning, though different conditions. Eating breakfast at the Pancake Palace in Salida is a sacred tradition, as well. We waited for dawn with great anxiety, yet daybreak never came. It was still DARK….an hour after official sunrise. Forget cats & dogs, it was now raining cows & pigs from the sky!

We mustered the courage to get wet and water skied a mile down the street to the Palace. Dripping wet, we stared out the window from our booth over the next hour watching elk & bear rain from the sky. Highway 50 was beginning to look more like a turbulent stream crossing than a street.

10-Cup had been checking the weather radar on his smartphone and it looked bad. Correction, it looked unbelievably horribly BAD in a historic kind of way. Neither of us had ever seen so much red and yellow on a radar screen…..forget green. And the Blob was heading due north, straight up the CDT, stretching from Mexico to central Colorado. I must admit, trail conditions seemed a bit grim.

He looks up with sad eyes and informs me our trip is over! There is no way we can continue on the CDT north of Salida. The forest roads will be impassable and the creek crossings flooded beyond anything anyone has likely ever seen in these mountains before. Forget 100 year flood, I think it was rated a 1,000 year flood, in the end. Entire roads were gone, homes were lost, and people died (I think). The towns of Boulder & Longmont were devastated with floods during the week to come….receiving all the runoff from the mountains.

BUT all I can think of is my son's orders: NEVER TAP-OUT!

I've got two weeks vacation. I don't have to be anywhere in particular. Ain't no way I'm throwing in the towel. I'm going riding!

We jet-ski back to the motel and hunker under the itty-bitty awning, while 10-Cup repairs a nail puncture in his tire. I scope out this storm and plan a route to skirt around it to the west side…..up along the Utah border. I've ridden all over New Mexico & Colorado many times. It never gets old. But, I've never ridden in Wyoming and Montana and by-golly that's what I'm going to do….come hell or high water!

10-Cup looks none too excited about the notion, but decides to tag along. So, off we go hydro-planing thru the rain…..westward toward Gunnison, then north to Crested Butte. Sorry no photos. Never thought of getting my camera out. It was raining too hard.

Suddenly, the trip got good again, we were past the edge of the monsoon and headed over Kebler Pass. That has to be one of the most beautiful passes in Colorado…..solid Aspen forests, so you know I was happy again.

Thru Paonia, past the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, across Grand Junction into Utah, and over the Flaming Gorge.

Pretty awesome route, to be honest. A long ride, for sure, but we had to get around the monstrous blob of a storm what stretched across three states. I think we went north on Hwy 193, or something close to that. Nothing planned, per se. We just went "that way". Whatever highway….it was a gorgeous ride up over a pass and down into Rangely, WY. A very long ride.

Stay flexible and improvise. Doesn't matter to me where I go, as long as its not homeward…..too soon. I've got two weeks to burn.

Wyoming looks promising…..very promising. And DRY, but that wouldn't last long.

Passed by a very cool Pony Express Station that 10-Cup new about. Awesome!

Apparently, this roof top over the hill is the original structure. But, I didn't make the hike to check it out further. I was itching to get back on the trail.

And we finally made it! After a big left hook up along the Utah border, we crossed northward into Wyoming until intercepting the CDT right here:

NEVER TAP-OUT

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 08:29 AM Reason: Spelling
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #44
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,422
Planning on doing the CDR August 16th thru September 6th, this year, so your RR is an awesome preview.
Tell me about your gear. I'm using a lot of the Wolfman gear also riding a similar bike.

Keep it coming!

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 AM   #45
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
I'm enjoying your report. My wife and I were up at Flaming Gorge in July. Did you take the dirt Flaming Gorge road on the east side? It goes up through Firehole Canyon. You may have needed to get north too quickly to take it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote