Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #46
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,510
Next morning we broke camp well rested and headed out to find some good dirt! HF is already up on the pegs looking for action as we leave the very restful Storm King campground.

The roads started out nice and the scenery was fantastic, as is most of the CDR route. (when your not trying to detour around rainstorms)

HF took the lead this morning eager to stretch the Terra's legs. That little bike is the fastest 650 I have ever seen and of course HF being the AAA rider he is made it look like money.

The ride up to Marshal pass was fun! Soft dirt lots of whoops and pretty good traction........BUT it was about to dump some more rain on us big time. We did stop for the required photo op at the top.

It is pretty up there too.

Sometimes we just had to stop and take it all in.

Where we had come from

We press on toward Poncha Springs/Salida

Found a room and then headed over to Grimo's Italian Restaurant HF had been promising me all day.....I was hungry and Italian sounded fantastic. IT WAS!! #1+
Man that was a good meal. By the time we finished and started back it was raining buckets so we went to the room and crashed. End of Day three.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #47
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

The next morning after our breakfast at the Pancake House in Silida it was still raining and we knew we were in for a long detour. We went back to the motel to check out and found I had a nail in my rear tire, as mentioned we fixed it under the motel awning in about 15 minutes. (love tubeless tires!) The HF lead the way as we meandered northward. Long day of pavement and rain today.

Stopped for fuel and a break in the little mining town of Shirley, Co. Rain had stopped as we were on the outskirts of the storm here.
They had quite the road sign at this little quick stop.

Found some more Aspens later in the day and even some nice gravel roads running through them.

The clouds were never far away though.

Still skirting the storm put us back on pavement and oh it was the nice grooved kind too

Still we had great views when it wasn't raining cats and dogs or elk and bear....

Finally hit Utah, things have to get better they just have to.

Pulled through Vernal mid morning and the Sun was out

Like HF said the Flaming Gorge was cool. We didn't find the dirt road someone mentioned, will have to look for it next time through. We just wanted to get around the rain Gaaaahhh!

More later.....Having lunch with the Boss
Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #48
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,401
I notice you said you had tubeless tires, but you are running spoke wheels. How so?

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #49
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I notice you said you had tubeless tires, but you are running spoke wheels. How so?

The BMW wire rims have a thicker lip that the spokes go through and are outside
The inner tire. Pretty slick deal.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #50
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

I'm intrigued, and anxious to peek inside one of these wheels. Has High Five compared his BMW wheels with yours? Our TRs are rocking BMW feet, but I'm guessing they are different.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #51
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Good stuff, gentlemen.

Love your decision to carry on and skirt the monsoon off to the west, especially when 10-cup was deep in the throws of doubt.

Also, the team effort RR method gives us twice as many pics to ponder, two different viewpoints. Please keep it up!

That Kebler Pass ride really is a sweetie and there's a couple good camping spots (Lost Lake) along the route. The sign for the pass evaded me a couple years ago and I was hoping you got it. Guess I'll have to head back up there.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #52
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm intrigued, and anxious to peek inside one of these wheels. Has High Five compared his BMW wheels with yours? Our TRs are rocking BMW feet, but I'm guessing they are different.

This might help.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #53
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
This might help.

Yep, definitely nowt what my wheels look like. But it does give me an idea. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #54
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Planning on doing the CDR August 16th thru September 6th, this year, so your RR is an awesome preview.
Tell me about your gear. I'm using a lot of the Wolfman gear also riding a similar bike.

Keep it coming!
I love Wolfman gear.....because it's purpose built for good performance. I'm using an Explorer Lite tankbag, Expedition Dry Saddlebags, and the Wolftail bag.

The saddlebags are waterproof. The tank & tail bags are not, and require a rain cover to be pulled over for wet protection......which works excellent.

I have another very special bag located across the rear section of seat. It is a Helen Two-Wheels medium size duffel. It is heavy duty canvas that is completely waterproof. I have several sizes of the Helen Two-Wheels bags. They are some of the best bags I've ever owned. Horizontal roll-tops, with numerous tie loops all the way across for securing things.

The way I set it up, made for a strategically perfect back rest. I ended up strapping my camelback onto the top of the Helen a Two-Wheels duffel, which worked great. Took the load off my back, and eliminated any annoying interference between my back and bags. Hate it when the bottom of my Camelback keeps bumping into a duffel behind me. I setup the hose where I could still reach it for a quick drink, if needed.

All of these details help improve comfort, and thus, reduce fatigue on long days of riding. I've even setup highway pegs to flip out so I can stretch my legs while cruising. And, the MadStad adjustable windshield was the icing on the cake!

I'll show-n-tell about what's inside the bags later in this Report. Some good stuff. I keep whittling down my contents every time I go on a trip. Doubt "The System" ever stops being tweaked and refined. But my setup worked well for this trip. Fourteen days I lived out of these bags AND still found a few things I never used!!! Dag-nab-it....

HF

P.s. Rain gear was a set of Frog Toggs. Never tried them before this trip. Looking and feeling them, I didn't think they would ever keep me dry. However, They worked superbly well. Though the photos haven't shown it, up to this point, we had been thru some truly horrible extended downpours for several hours at a time. More would come. But the Frog Toggs kept me amazingly dry.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #55
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,060
Great pics.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #56
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I love Wolfman gear.....because it's purpose built for good performance. I'm using an Explorer Lite tankbag, Expedition Dry Saddlebags, and the Wolftail bag.

I have another very special bag located across the rear section of seat. It is a Helen Two-Wheels medium size duffel.

I'll show-n-tell about what's inside the bags later in this Report. Some good stuff. I keep whittling down my contents every time I go on a trip. Doubt "The System" ever stops being tweaked and refined. But my setup worked well for this trip. Fourteen days I lived out of these bags AND still found a few things I never used!!! Dag-nab-it....

HF

P.s. Rain gear was a set of Frog Toggs. .
Thanks for the reply. I too use the Helen Two Wheels bags, and have every bag they make! (They are located just miles from me). I carry the "biker" Frog Toggs pants and wear a GoreTex Jacket. The Frog's work!

I use the Wolfman Teton saddlebags, just like the Expedition bags but not waterproof, and keep my gear in dry bags inside. Couldn't make it out for sure as I thought you were using the Mini Beta bag, but it's the Wolf Tail.

I have been torn between taking my tent or my hammock for this trip. I'd prefer the hammock but I'm afraid once down south there won't be available tree's to hang from. Any problems finding places to hang from?

Sounds like were very similar in set up. I will be on my DRZ so really enjoy picking details from riders. Enjoying the report.

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #57
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
I'm intrigued, and anxious to peek inside one of these wheels. Has High Five compared his BMW wheels with yours?
Nope....I never look inside someone's wheels on the first date.

HF
Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #58
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I have been torn between taking my tent or my hammock for this trip. I'd prefer the hammock but I'm afraid once down south there won't be available tree's to hang from. Any problems finding places to hang from?
No problems hanging my hammock on the whole trip from Taos to Canadian border. I didn't traverse the lower portion from Antelope Wells to the mountains, on this ride.

But, I've slept directly on the ground several ways: under the stars, under a tarp, and even inside my hammock.....depending upon clear sky, rain, and/or mosquitos. I always carry a tarp to throw up. And the hammock has a nice tarp already, so it kills to birds with one stone, so to speak.

I've staked the foot of hammock to ground and tied the head end up to the handlebars.....enlisting my bike into "tree duty". That has worked plenty good enough to get out of the bugs, when no trees were present & accounted for. I always carry a sleeping pad just in case I might end up on the ground somewhere.

HF
Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #59
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Back on the Trail at last

The Big Empty…..that's what I've heard it called. The long desolate stretch between Rawlins and Pinedale. Its the only segment I needed to pack some fuel for. Been toting two 30 liter bottles of gasoline in my saddlebags for use on this section. But it wasn't needed after all.

****edit: oops typo, that's two 30 oz bottles, not liters. I really wasn't THAT ambitious****

The Terra gets great fuel mileage, always north of 50 mpg. I've seen 60+ mpg cruising forest roads at 30mph. But that won't happen in the Big Empty. This dirt road is hard-packed smooth for the most part. I was running 65mph down it, except the distant mountains didn't look any closer after half an hour. My range on the Terra with the stock tank is close to 200 miles. I ran her dry in a test and got 209. But, with all the bags and such, I figured on 175 miles max. So, there was a little "tension" toward making thru this stretch without running dry. Might not have had enough.

But those cards were off the table now, as we randomly intercepted The Big Empty somewhere in the mid-section. It was dry for now, so we would make a high speed dash toward Pinedale. The Blob still had a bead on us with its laser sight. That monster entered Wyoming about the same time we did, and was making a cruel left hook right at us. Giddy up and go, 10Cup, were fixing to get wet (again).

Suddenly…..without warning…..tragedy struck!

The last 30 miles heading into Pinedale was discovered freshly paved!!!

I had to stop right here, take a knee, and say a prayer of protection for the rest of the dirt road behind me. If you want to ride what's let of the Wild West, you better hurry. The construction equipment looked like it would be continuing its march eastward.

The most endangered species in America is not the Great Horned Owl. It is the American Dirt Road. Get some before they're all gone.

This one in particular is a bit maddening, because I hardly saw any signs of settlers along the whole stretch. No farmhouses, cabins, trailers, or such. None….nada….zippo. Go figure?

Its painful to recount this moment. I'm a bit choked up. It came too soon after losing a dear loved one…..the dirt road I grew up on, rode my first bike on, kissed my first girl on…..got paved.

10Cup, take us into Pinedale. I need to regain my composure before continuing.

HF

p.s. Yeah, the storm caught us.

Started raining moose and buffalo from the sky. Guess we shouldn't have gone down that muddy road for 10 miles looking for a campsite, eh?

HighFive screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 08:35 PM
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #60
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Well by now I'm sure you all are wondering why we had pictures of the Flaming Gorge since it isn't on the CDR route. But that is how far we had to go West and North to get away from the Blob as HF describes it. Wasn't long though when we hit the Wyoming Border and stopped for the photo. HF looking dapper in his Frogg Toggs and me in my rain liners. Note the blue sky! We just couldn't seem to hang on to it.

We meandered on North and into the Micro town of Farson, WY. where I showed HF the Pony Express way station and monument. I had been by here before on my "Trails of the West" adventure.
I really like all the history so seeing several of the Pony Express way stations was one of the goals.

We then headed East our of Farson to intercept yet again the CDR at the Lander Cutoff between Atlantic City and South Pass, old mining towns.
I pulled off the pavement eager to get back on the dirt with HF close behind.
Stopped got off for a break and see this........

This poor soul didn't have a good day. However the dirt road in front of us beckoned and soon we were underway, even as the "Blob" threatened us yet again.

We pulled into Pinedale just as it started to sprinkle. I told High Five that I had scoped out a camp site so we headed out East of town and ran into construction, mud and more rain. Not eager to set up camp in the pouring rain we headed back to Pinedale and scored this little log cabin. Which had two rooms and a full kitchen. We hung up all our gear to try to get it dry and relaxed for the evening. It was a very restful spot.

Complete with the flower pots and all I didn't feel like we were really on much of adventure but it was nice to get out of the rain.

Later I called home and my wife wanted pictures of our little cabin inside so I sent them on..

Her reply "Oh that's so cute!!" Now I really knew we weren't on an adventure.........not that evening anyway. (I loved that little cabin though.) All the while the rain just came down in buckets outside. HF and I watched some TV (Football of course) and were soon cut'n ZZZ'S

10Cup screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 12:36 PM