Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #61
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
The Big Empty…..................................... Been toting two 30 liter bottles of gasoline in my saddlebags for use on this section. But it wasn't needed after all.

You must have some HUGE saddlebags.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #62
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
Liters....ounces....same difference. I was packing fuel I didn't even need.

HF

p.s. my Reports are kind of like a game of "Find Waldo". You better stay on your toes searching for my well disguised typos.
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #63
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oh yeah….The Cabin. That ought to be the official halftime locker room for weary souls sloshing along the Continental Divide Trail.

Normally, I refuse to consider such pampered accommodations on my dualsport excursions. But I was willing to make an exception, after 10Cup announced it was "technically" on the CDR trail. After all, we needed a break from the hunt, because we were beginning to feel more like the hunted than the hunter. Seems like it was Monday Night Football and the Patriots were playing. Holy smokes did it ever rain hard that night in Pinedale!

Amazingly, it wasn't raining when we departed in the morning. But the Game was about to change again.

We had a great rain-free hour or so, as we snaked our way up a beautiful forest with a long mountain pass (Union something….maybe).

Portions of the road were wet and sloppy, but didn't seem too bad. I was getting good traction on the climb, even with my Heidenau K60 Scout rear tire. The darn rain would come and go….start and stop. During a dry stretch, I got hot and pulled over to peel of my Toggs. Then had that sudden eery feeling I was being watched. 10Cup had not caught up with me. As I reached down to pull off my rain pants, I noticed these fresh prints in the road, right where I parked.

Quite an impressive set of paw prints, the bear was probably close by. Maybe I scurried it off the road coming up the hill…??

That's a size 10 boot for reference. And here was a 2nd set a little bit smaller:

Pretty cool, eh?

If it hadn't been so early in the day, I would have liked to setup my hammock near here. Might have got some good photos.

10Cup moved out as I lingered a bit longer. Then shot a few more pics on my way to catch up.

Gorgeous area with two-track running all over the hills. I could hang happily in this place a whole week!

When I got off the hill and caught up to 10Cup at the next road, he suddenly Tapped Out!

Caught me totally by surprise. He bailed out on me, and said he was headed home.

We had a quick but warm goodbye, and I watched him ride away.

Just like that, he was gone!

Suddenly, I was totally alone in the middle of Wyoming, with over 600 miles of wilderness trail remaining.

And then, it began to rain....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 07:07 AM Reason: Spelling
Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #64
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Liters....ounces....same difference. I was packing fuel I didn't even need.

HF

p.s. my Reports are kind of like a game of "Find Waldo". You better stay on your toes searching for my well disguised typos.
Liters make totally sense to me....

So, what was your longest distance between fuel stops?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #65
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,314
I've been invited to do a CDR this summer, I've been reading RR's to get some info and ideas. Looking forward to the continuation of yours.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #66
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553

Say it Ain't So!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #67
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,793
Enjoying your report...

Bummer you lost your riding partner. I hope someday to do the CDT. Looks like an awesome ride with the exception of the rain.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #68
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
Haa yeah something like that, I knew what lay ahead for us with the kind of dirt roads that builds up on your tires and then you get to try to dig it out with a stick....with more rain on the way I decided to abort rather than fight the big pig in that kind of mud. Since I can ride when ever I want why fight the mud all the way to the Canadian border? Felt bad for HF but I think he was kind of glad to be rid of the "ol Man" too. He is totally self sufficient as I am on these rides.

We rode from Pinedale, WY. that morning to just north of Dubois where I turn back south. Had some good ridding up to that point though.

Here HF comes up from the rear, I know he has a big grin under that helmet.

Yeah those bear tracks being so fresh did give me pause too. When I pulled out from there I went not a mile further, came around a bend and there in the middle of the road was a Moose and her baby. They just stood there looking at me while I looked for a reverse gear.....not finding one I honked at them and they ambled off into the woods. BIG animals those Moose.
Went another half mile again around a bend in the road and saw the most magnificent Elk I have ever seen! He was huge, as he ran back into the trees he had to rock his head back and forth just to get his antlers through. Wow that was a trophy Elk for sure. I wasn't quick enough to get my camera on either the Moose or Elk but they sure did make my heart race.

My ride home was wet too..

What a strange year for weather. I figure I'll head on to Banff National Park up in Alberta, CA next time and head on South once I'm sure the weather is going to cooperate. This trip was kinda fun but too much rain and pavement. Later Gents.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #69
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

There were no hard feelings between us, so don't anyone think it. I enjoyed my time with 10Cup and wished him well. Multiple days of riding in rain can wear on a person. We each handle it differently.

From my perspective, there was nowhere else I'd rather be than on my motorcycle exploring thru the mountains. Rain or shine....hell or high water....Montana or Bust!

I stood there a while, reflecting on the trip and contemplating what this meant. It had gone unspoken, but I suspected the conditions were about to become more challenging. Dreary rain has a way of dulling your senses. Now, mine were fast awakening like an AWACS radar spinning up.

I uncovered my head and let it rain on my face. It was time to make peace with the circumstances and shift mental gears. I'm riding alone now. No more buddy system playing leap frog. They'll be no errand service for a breakdown, and no cavalry to the rescue. No more discussion and no more voting. 10Cup has given me a gift, and he knows it. He has set me free....to go at my own pace. Something I would come to appreciate more and more as the days advanced.

I might as well be going to the ends of the earth. There will be hardships enough to make my hair white. But, I'll see with my own eyes places about which I have only heard. I will Never Tap-Out!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 02-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #70
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Riding solo always makes it more adventurous

Keep up the nice work
Old 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #71
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 299
I had a feeling something like this might eventuate...
It's happened to me on several occasions where buddies have baled in the face of unexpected adversity... , but this is your tale, so I'll save it for another campfire...

Riding in the rain is definately testing, to say the least...
The upside is that the 'countryside' comes alive in a way that only ever happens after a good downpour... There is a buzz in the air that you have to experience to savour...
Some of my fondest memories are 'riding in the rain'...
I'm in the sub-tropics/tropics downunder so my rain's in the form of kangaroo's and cows, with the occasional camel and hump-back whale thrown in for good measure...

Ride-on.... lovin-it....
Old 02-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #72
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
It's no secret that I'm a bit odd, but I actually LOVE riding in the rain. I love it to the point if given the choice of rain or shine I'll take rain every time. Still, I have friends who hate the rain and I'd never fault one of them for opting out given the choice. If you're not having fun then why the hell are you on a motorcycle?

Sent from my leash
Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #73
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYO George View Post
It's no secret that I'm a bit odd, but I actually LOVE riding in the rain. I love it to the point if given the choice of rain or shine I'll take rain every time. Still, I have friends who hate the rain and I'd never fault one of them for opting out given the choice. If you're not having fun then why the hell are you on a motorcycle?
Sent from my leash
Haaha, good one! I feel the same way, heck if it's not fun forget it. I'm pretty much at that point in my life
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #74
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

On down the Trail I slosh into a nice pitstop in Dubois, WY. I'm growing quite fond of gas station food by this time, if nothing more than for a dry spot to stand and hot coffee to hold. And this is how the "One Man + One Husky Terra + 100 Year Flood" chapter begins…

I dash away at the first break in rain, and continue to be amazed at the scenery on the trail. It gets better & better the further I push northward.

I spend some time here relaxing and enjoying the view. I'm in no hurry. I have no obligations to meet.

Throttlemeister is spot on the money!

I love riding solo, its such a FREE feeling. Yes, there are added risks, but the rewards out weigh them.

I hate riding in big groups….don't mind riding in small groups. Even like riding with a buddy or two. But nothing compares to this feeling of being out here all alone. There's just something about it that feels great. The sense of accomplishment can be huge.

Push yourself out of the comfort zone and try it. Just hope you never find this waiting around the next turn:

Note: photos taken in first 50 yards of goop. Couldn't remember my name, let alone where my camera was after getting past it.

How bad was it? Horribly!

Did the knobbies disappear? Totally!

Did the wheels stop turning? Nearly!

Did you fall down? Nobody has a photo of HF down!

How far was it like this? Too far! Correction WAY too far! Several miles.

Why not just skip the bad parts? Never Tap-Out!

Did the "stick thing" many times. I don't remember which time this was, in particular. In the thick of it, whenever you happen to come across a stick by the road, you stop and use it.

Nuff said.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #75
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,084
Hate mud, love the photos