Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #76
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,147
Sorry if I missed this earlier, what tires are you running?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #77
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Love mud, love photos ;-)

Lone Wolf here, sharing your views on travelling alone... thats how you immerse in surroundings - adv riding at its finest.

Ride on !

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9300 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #78
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Sorry if I missed this earlier, what tires are you running?
Front: Continental TKC80
Rear: Heidenau K60 Scout (140 size)

TKC was brand new, and K60 had 1,500 miles on it already, when trip began.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #79
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Let There be Light!

Every cloud has a silver lining, they say. I refused to be whipped into submission, and finally broke thru the barrier into a New World:

I was none too happy about paying $26 to enter the Grand Teton National Park just to get to the Flagg Ranch Road, and nearly balked. That's when the park ranger gave me a good look over and asked what I thought a fair price for sunshine was today? He was a quick thinker. I coughed up that money faster than 10Cup could vanish into wet air.

And the Return on Investment was heavenly!

Never Tap-Out!

HF

p.s. One of the benefits of heavy rain is it serves as an effective bike wash.
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #80
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Wolves & Grizzlies

It was late afternoon as I finished gawking at the majestic Tetons. About 1600 hours, if I recall correctly. That would be 4pm for all you Yankees.

I figured I might as well camp in the park tonight, since I PAID for it. The old buzzard, 10Cup, had given me fair warning that mud on Flagg Ranch Road was impassable. He said many a trip has ended when riders became stuck in muck out there. Said if its been raining….forget it. Game over! Don't even think about venturing out there.

So, I thought it wise to camp in the park, and tackle that obstacle on a fresh new day. Nothing worse than flying into the Danger Zone at dusk, dead-beat tired, on an empty stomach. Except, there was a problem. Every campground I passed was CLOSED. How strange, the leaves were turning, the park was buzzing with visitors, yet campsite after campsite was blocked off and shut down. Ten miles or so, up the road, I made a pitstop for gas at the Park fuel station. Went inside and bought a sandwich + Dr. Pepper and engaged Ms. Park Ranger behind the counter in an inquisitive conversation.

I remember this verbatim. This is an exact reenactment of the conversation between the Park Ranger & myself.

HF: What's up with all the closed campgrounds? Is there a season on camping in these parts? I need a place to hang my hammock.

Ranger: The grizzlies are here…..so, everything is closed.

HF: Say again? I thought grizzlies lived here year-round.

Ranger: Usually, they stay up north closer to Yellowstone. But they move in to raid campgrounds for some easy meals before hibernating. Its a problem every year. They've gotten a lot more aggressive with campers. So, we just have to shut it all down. No campgrounds are open. You have to backtrack to town about 20 miles, and get a motel room for the night.

HF: No thanks….no backtracking. This is National Forest, right? Can't I just go make my own camp in the wilderness?

Ranger: You'll need a Back Country Permit for that. You have to go back to the main gate and buy one for $16. Where are you headed?

HF: Flagg Ranch Road…..riding the Continental Divide Trail……..what's the permit for?

Ranger: So, we'll know where you're plan to be.

HF: Just told you where I'll be.

Ranger: You'll never make it. Been raining several days. Its about to start raining again. You'll never get across Flagg Ranch Road on that motorcycle….not today, not tomorrow. Besides, we've had a serious problem along the Ranch Road all week. A pack of wolves keeps harassing some grizzlies cubs. Its a very dangerous situation and we're cautioning everyone to stay clear of that area for now.

HF: Holy Smokes….seriously? Where on this park map (spread under glass counter top) has this action been going down? She draws a circle around a lake just off the edge of the official park boundary, and then stabs her finger like a tack.

"Can I camp there?"

Ranger: Only if your crazy! Its out of our jurisdiction so I can't stop you, but I'm strongly recommending you don't do it. You don't seem to understand how serious this situation is. Don't go out there tonight. Wait until tomorrow, if you must. Its going to be dark within an hour or so. Very dark tonight with the cloud cover.

HF: Thank you kindly, Mamm. Here is my wife's phone number back in Oklahoma. Please call her for me when you pick up whatever is left of me tomorrow. I'll be camping right next to that lake somewhere near a side road. Have a nice evening!

About 15 or 20 miles of a road like this:

Aaaah….piece of cake. I really don't get what all the hubbub is about.

Indeed, every designated campsite along this road is barricaded "closed". Wouldn't prevent motorcycle access. I could ride around the barrier real easy, but, I have no intentions of violating any National Park Rules. Besides, I have a destination target in mind.

Suddenly without warning it begins raining wolves and bear cubs on top of me.

Look closer, its coming down in solid sheets. Wheezer struggles to depict it accurately, but add some imagination and put yourself in my boots.

I'm still on the "improved" portion of Park road. Hadn't gotten off the reservation yet. And, all I could think about was 10Cups declaration that the trip would be over if rained on Flagg Ranch Road. I'd be stuck for a week! I could die out there….or worse….have my legs eaten off by a grizzly, leaving the rest of me for later.

I get to the "unimproved" section, beyond the Park boundary, and the rain stops just long enough for the dirt to start getting sticky. I keep on blasting down the road another 10 or 15 miles, until finding my target, where she pinned her finger:

Backed up to the first side road:

Hhhmmm….not even raining over here. But that didn't last long, naturally.

Found the small lake, and setup camp in a flash, at twilight's last gleaming.

And I hunkered in my hammock as the rain poured down half the night. Slept like a baby! I was too tired to worry about wolves & bears.

During the night, something unbelievable happened:

And the morning dawned with new hope:

I had front row seat to the Wolves vs. Grizzlies UFC match. But sadly, nothing happened. It was quite disappointing, to be honest. I really wanted to capture some of that action on camera. Personally, I think those Rangers need to get out of the office and into the field a little more often. They must all be RV campers these days.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 03-02-2014 at 08:46 AM Reason: Spelling
Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #81
Nomomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Every cloud has a silver lining, they say. I refused to be whipped into submission, and finally broke thru the barrier into a New World:

I was none too happy about paying $26 to enter the Grand Teton National Park just to get to the Flagg Ranch Road, and nearly balked. That's when the park ranger gave me a good look over and asked what I thought a fair price for sunshine was today? He was a quick thinker. I coughed up that money faster than 10Cup could vanish into wet air.

HF

p.s. One of the benefits of heavy rain is it serves as an effective bike wash.
Nice report and pictures HighFive, thank you for writing this.

Would like note that when riding the CD from north to south you don't have to pay the $26 because you reach the Flagg Ranch and the Grand Teton National Park via the "backdoor".
Old 03-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #82
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Hey HF, great write up. Your description of my vanishing in a mist made me laugh. Your a funny guy Nice camp site too. Especially for a self described bear magnet! You better tell em about that too. I mean being sniffed by a bear while in your hammock.........like you say Hochi Momma!!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #83
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 199
Ha! Knowing your history with bears I am surprised they didn't come see you during the night. You were all hanging there like a burrito, after all.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #84
Nomomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
10Cup, I should have also acknowledged your part in the ride report. The two of you are a good match with your writing and picture talents. Thanks again for taking the time to do this.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #85
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo View Post
10Cup, I should have also acknowledged your part in the ride report. The two of you are a good match with your writing and picture talents. Thanks again for taking the time to do this.
Thanks. My pleasure.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #86
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
So, what was your longest distance between fuel stops?
Oh....I'm not sure, really. Maybe 150 miles or so. Seems I never had to push it much farther than that before finding a convenient opportunity to re-fuel.

I didn't plan anything in particular, per se. Just kind of winging it. There were no daily mileage goals or route targets to reach. I just stopped wherever....whenever. Lots of fuel options available along the route.

The longest stretch on the CDR would be from Rawlins, WY to Pinedale, WY. A distance around 240 miles, I've heard. There is no fuel along that portion of the route.....known as "The Big Empty". It's the only fuel related planning a I did (packing some MSR bottles) as mentioned. But that whole notion got washed down the gulley, if you noticed.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #87
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo View Post
+ 1 Absolutely Yes! Big Thank You! guys!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #88
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 271
HF,

I've been wondering, given the puggy mud, etc , whether at any time you wished you'd been riding the WR instead of the Husky?

: just curious?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #89
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Negative.....the thought never even crossed my mind.

The Terra was perfect for this trip! I couldn't have been happier on anything else, given the scope of the mission.

That nasty section in the hills north of Dubois, would have been stinking nasty on anything. If I could pick any bike I wanted for JUST that section, it would be an old two-wheel drive Rokon with those big fat wheels and low seat height. A new-fangled Christini would be my 2nd choice.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #90
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Ha! Knowing your history with bears I am surprised they didn't come see you during the night. You were all hanging there like a burrito, after all.
yup.....figured best bet was to go where the action was, since I'm always a day late and a dollar short!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project