Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #91
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Great report. I hate mud like that. Can eat a clutch pretty fast. The longest distance between gas stations was for us was Farson to Rawlins (north to south). 170 miles tops. We took the Oregon Trail across the Big Sandy and motelled in a nearby town (Rock Springs?). At dawn we fueled at Farson and had no problem making Rawlins well within our range.

I enjoyed Union Pass road as well. I had tracks, but I didn't know how to use them. Half way between Dubois and Pinedale I figured it out. Great little nav aid. You don't really even need the underlying maps!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #92
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Great report & pics HF!!
I've ridden my KLR on some of those roads but never re jetted for altitude
Looking forward to see how my Terra does out there this summer

I suppose the one thing good about the rain is No dust!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #93
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
The Perils of Flagg Ranch Road

With the rain having ceased during the wee morning hours, it was all but certain another mucky mess waited to greet me along this historically perilous ranch road. After all, Ms. Ranger predicted it impassable, and 10Cup warned it could be trip ending. Since I had encountered but a small annoyance progressing to this point, the worst was assumed ahead.

I double checked my photos to be certain this wasn't a dream (kind of like spinning a little jax in the movie Inception):

Ok....its real.

So, what we have here is a genuine pickle.

Stay put in my hammock and watch my legs being eaten by grizzlies, or go get stuck in the mud to my waist, and watch my upper torso be chewed on by wolves.

Life is full of choices, and some things can only be discovered by moving forward. So, its onward for me, always onward.

What happened?

Nothing!

Yeah, I know….a bit anticlimactic.

I got loaded for bear and armed for wolves. Never encountered either. Didn't even see any of that trip-ending, icky mucky mud.

Found numerous wet puddles along this road of bones. Does that count?

Seriously....what's all the hype? I think you could drive a Greyhound bus down the Idaho side (coming from the west until you hit the ID/WY border).

Flagg Ranch Road was simply no problem…..the whole way…..despite the dire predictions & warnings, rain & mud, wolves & grizzlies.

I smile to myself, as I hear my son's admonition: Never Tap-Out!

Northern Idaho is simply spectacular. The scenery continues to improve even after I thought it couldn't. Even in the rain.

Yeah, it was raining again. Off & on, but ever present this morning. I was actually starting to like it. Kind of peaceful and serene.

A long ways up the trail, I could hear a huge waterfall thundering in the valley. Love waterfalls and decided I would hunt this one down.

Found the parking lot with this pair of Twinkies:

Very cool place, this discovery was:

Down at the falls, I met the other riders and we swapped cameras for self-portraits.

Then, things take an unexpected twist.

While responding to their question, I mention riding the CDT.

They lit up, familiar with the trail's reputation, and said: "Cool….where did you start?"

"Taos"

"No way…..we live in Taos!"

"Well that's neat, I'm in the printing business and have a good customer in Taos" and tell them who it is.

The Twinkies stare speechless at each other then ask, "Do you print their publication?"

"Indeed, that very one. The 2014 issue is being delivered today, in fact."

These two fine folks, not afraid of riding in the rain multiple days, happen to be the instructors for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) in Taos. And, they put an advertisement in the very publication I'm printing.

What are the chances of crossing paths in nowhere Idaho during the same 30 minute window? Divine, I'm telling you.

We part ways with cheerful goodbyes, then I get back to the business of trying to locate the trail. Its frustrating as I keep crossing over it, but can't find it. There is no obvious turnoff. Long story short, you have to exit down and around to a little parking lot. Then, follow what looks like a hiking trail which goes under the road. I walked it first, to be sure as it seemed kind of dicey.

But it turned into one of the best parts of the whole trail. Its an old narrow gauge railroad bed which skirts along the Warm River. And, absolutely one of the funnest "offroad" portions along the whole route. You DON'T want to miss this section of trail.

The rain had stopped and I was having a grand time of it along this ridge. Life was good!

I joined the crowd in leaving my mark inside the treasle. It seemed a required right of passage.

Maybe you will find it, if you pass this way.

The route continues for many miles on the old railroad bed, eventually departing the canyon and crossing the flatland.

Golly this was fun! Found myself making train noises in my helmet as I choo-choo'd my way ever closer to the Montana border. Maybe I've been in the rain too long, but I bet I'm not the only one who's made train noises while riding that stretch. Just a hunch.

HF

p.s. watch-out for those little half barrel cattle guards at the road crossings. you might smack your helmet on your windshield….ouch!
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 03-02-2014 at 04:00 PM Reason: Spelling, of course
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #94
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Fellow Printer enjoying the rr, looks and sounds great so far!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #95
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Good deal....kimzx, glad to have you riding along. That's some Avatar you have there. Hope it wasn't you holding your breath.

And, I want to thank everyone for their interest and kind comments. If I've missed one of your questions, just post it again. I try to keep up with them.

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the report. I almost didn't do one, since there have been so many RR's on the CDR. But its winter, its icing outside my window again down here in Oklahoma, and there were so many odd turn of events in this trip. Figured...why not?

Re-living this report makes me want to jump on the bike and go ride it again. Man, its a great trail. If you've ever had an itch to ride it, do it! Get your itch scratched this year.

HF

p.s. Almost getting to the good stuff...
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #96
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Montana or Bust!

The train pulled into the station somewhere around a populated place that I struggle to remember. I looked on a map, and my best guess is Henry's Lake, but wouldn't swear to it. I got fuel and went inside to the Subway for a sandwich. Quite unexpectedly, this would become an important pitstop.

Inside, the building was half occupied by a KLIM dealer. Yes, I said KLIM. Mainly a bicycle store, but he was loaded with KLIM gear. I hit the jack-pot. I was like a kid in the candy store! I purchased a nice set of KLIM socks. I always wanted an excuse to try their riding socks.

Not far from the store, I hit a dead-end at the bottom of a long steep hill. "Trail closed to Motorized Vehicles". Looked like a single-track section. Returning to the store, the KLIM guy confirmed the recent closure and routed me around to the continuation point for a motorcycle.

Back on the trail, the riding was great and I finally arrived!

Got my white socks tied to the tailbag. This would become a trademark for the duration of my trip. Wet socks flapping in the wind.

At last, I'm in the Big Sky country. Endless miles of wide-open spaces, and more rain, of course. Lots of it, but the roads were hard-packed gravel, causing no traction problems at all.

The roads across this stretch had a lot of snowplow washboard. And it will rattle your brains out, if you don't keep your speed up. If ever something was going to come loose or break on the bike, it ought to happen across this section....over 100 miles of pure nothing.

Rolling into Lima, MT, the wind is howling 40 mph and I think the rain is somehow getting UNDER my helmet. Its ridiculous!

I plowed onward in the rain, not being too fond of the treeless rolling hills between Lima and Butte. If I did it again, I'd probably just ride the highway thru that section and get it over with sooner. Up and down....up and down....basically paralleling the highway.

As I closed in on Butte, the sky began to clear, and the trail dry up.

TREES….I see TREES……I was beginning to have my doubts.

God Bless Montana! They've got the best trail markers too!

Promising…..very promising.

Found a secluded grove of trees not far past this bridge, and called it a day. A very long day in which kept a brisk pace. I covered more miles of actual CDT on this particular day, than any other during the trip.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #97
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,042
HF, Enjoying the report, thanks for sharing. Would love to hear more about your hammock and the rain.
Like where did you store your gear at night with all the rain and being wet ? Also I assume the hammock got wet,
did you dry it out or just throw it in a stuff sack and dry it out later.
Thank,
Barclay

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:22 AM   #98
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
Like where did you store your gear at night with all the rain and being wet ? Also I assume the hammock got wet,
did you dry it out or just throw it in a stuff sack and dry it out later.
Thank,
Barclay
Was wondering this as well? Enjoying the pics with the rain and clouds and low visibility, not used to seeing in RRs. Of course, I'm hoping its sunny and clear this July, not that I mind the wet, but drying everything out has to add a lot of extra time to your day.

Loving your trip!
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #99
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Just spent the morning catching up on your ride report. It was a nice way to spend a cold snowy morning. I didn't realize you had started your rr report but it was pointed out to me by our riding buddies Dickosaurus and Rufus. Good job on the report as always. Looking forward to the rest of it.
Thanks for sharing it with us. Makes me anxious to go riding. Maybe we can together before long and do a SE OK ride with Darel before long.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #100
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,793
There's snow on the ground and it was 4 deg this morning. Reading your ride report is helping me cope with all the bikes being parked in the garage
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #101
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Nice report, helping me maintain sanity until the ice is off my road.

"Don't get cruiser sloppy" Unknown Inmate
VTphoneman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #102
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Laugh Nice job...

...just keeps getting better. Glad you didn't wind up being a meal for the bears and wolves, had me on the edge of my seat. .
Old 03-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #103
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Why the term "Twinkies?"

I've heard of "Q Tips" for the US expat folk common in Mexico and Central America (White Sneakers and white hair). Twinkie is a new one for me, though.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #104
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Why the term "Twinkies?"

I've heard of "Q Tips" for the US expat folk common in Mexico and Central America (White Sneakers and white hair). Twinkie is a new one for me, though.
As in those bikes look like :

Twinkies...

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #105
flatwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
can you skin grizz, i can skin most anything.

just started reading this tonight great report, i to prefer to ride alone its so rewarding. a buddy and me spent the month of july in 97 packing with our horses in wyoming, in the tetons everyone told us to stay away from pacific creek, grizzly activity in area so of course thats were we head, never seen a bear. but stay away from those cow moose with calves they can get ornery.thanks for sharing your ride. i need a mountain fix.
flatwoods is offline   Reply With Quote