ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
outer banks advice

Headed out from the beautiful mountains to relax at the outer banks March 9th with my wife. Looking for any advice on places to stay etc.
Current plan is to go out through alligator park on 64 and probably stay at a B&B on Manteo Saturday night. Then onto the banks, up to jockeys ridge, then head down towards hatteras. probably camp at Frisco for a night, then hop over to ocracoke for a couple of days. then the ferry over to cedar island.
Beyond that, don't really have a plan. would like to ride along the coast and explore for a day or 2. then head back up to Raleigh to spend a night with family.

So, thoughts, ideas, invites? we are up for most things, will have all our camping gear with us. ill be on my 950, Kat will be on her SM 630
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 897
There's a B&B in Manteo that gets some really good reviews from friends of mine, but I can't remember the name. Manteo is a neat little town...I've stayed there for several weeks. Poor Richards Sandwich Shop makes a mean Reuben. I'd recommend it.

Sam and Omie's Restaurant is also a good place to eat in Nags Head. Pigmans BBQ just up the beach is also pretty good if you like BBQ.

DO NOT stay at Dolphin Oceanfront Motel. I stayed there during a project once...WAY overpriced and the rooms had much to be desired.
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Take a wetsuit with you so you can do the watersports.

You cant ride your bike on the National Seashore beach anymore.

I think the beaches at kittyhawk and nags head arent part of the NS so maybe still rideable?

The beach is rideable up by corolla.

I think you have to get a ferry to hatteras currently.

You guys are going to find relaxation in spades but might some of the businesses still be shuttered in two weeks?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Ride South to North you're on see side... Hell, it doesn't matter... Enjoy.

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

relaxation is what we are after. (my wife just went back to school full time, and is serving beer 2 nights a week) so we see each other 2-3 nights a week typically.

Looking forward to not doing a great deal of anything, but some riding, some beer drinking, and some sleeping in!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
relaxation is what we are after. (my wife just went back to school full time, and is serving beer 2 nights a week) so we see each other 2-3 nights a week typically.

Looking forward to not doing a great deal of anything, but some riding, some beer drinking, and some sleeping in!
Hatteras is a great place to do just that. We're headed down before Memorial Day for a week. Not riding this time as planned but going anyway.

Before venturing out on the beaches check the local ordinances and get a permit as they are now required to ride any vehicle on any of the beaches that may be open. Not many are anymore. Damn environmental terrorists.
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Higglesworth
nub

Oddometer: 29
Last summer I did Oak Island to Nags Head (on an 85 Virago that I bought last Feb for $500...not running and leaking fuel). Highway 12 through the Cedar Island Wildlife Refuge is one of the most scenic roads I've ever been on, and it ends at the ferry terminal that takes you to Ocracoke. I stayed there at Edwards of Ocracoke and it was pretty nice. In Kitty Hawk we stayed at an oceanfront Days Inn which was fine as well and I'd recommend it as well. Gotta hit up the Wright bros memorial if you have the time and desire...

Fantastic trip, you'll have a blast!
Higglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 506
Corolla Light House is worth the ride up, then the WildHorse Tour is good too, Ride up the Beach and back down..
We stayed at the Corolla Inn, nice n quiet. (it was off season)
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Oddometer: 246
I almost forgot, just a heads up. Any high winds can be brutal when you're in a car or truck in highway 12 so I would assume much worse on a motorcycle.
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Higglesworth
nub

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
I almost forgot, just a heads up. Any high winds can be brutal when you're in a car or truck in highway 12 so I would assume much worse on a motorcycle.
No doubt...and seriously watch out on the bridges. They're all very high and windy.
Higglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 189
Sorry that I can't make recommendations for your stay at the OB.
However, your trip is inspiring my own spring planning...

Are you taking route 64 for the entire ride? Looks like that might be a scenic alternative to slabbing it on I-40. See the wiki link below. Apparently, route 64 stretches from the OBs to Four Corners in Arizona; 2,300 miles.
It also shoots through Chattanooga, where I live. I'll be watching this post for recommendations on where to stay in the OBs as I might take my wife on a similar trip this summer. Route 64 looks like a nice ride, with the exception of RTP. Would need to bypass that traffic nightmare...

Have fun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_64
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,764
If you want to do touristy stuff stay up in naggs/kitty the further you get down the islands the less there is to do except going to the beach, fishing and whatnot. For some cool history, There is the Lost Colony in Roanoke, the wright brothers memorial in naggs, and the graveyard of the atlantic museum in Hatteras village by the ferry dock. They have a German enigma machine from a sub on display.
If you get a chance, drink a beer or 5 on the upper deck at Howard's Pub in Ocracoke.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Read my report from long time ago about Outer Banks ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420713

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

well, a plan is forged!
yep, taking 64 staying in Manteo the first night (Booth Guest House) then spending a day riding down the banks in time to catch the late ferry to Ocracoke. Spending a couple nights (Crews Inn. B&B. stayed here a few years ago. nice place)
then the main land down southwest.

so, looking for some suggestions on what lays south? taking the cedar point ferry, then down towards morehead city.
Looks like a cool campground (state park) at cedar point, then another a little further down at Carolina beach SP

so, any experience or suggestions? thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,764
If you see a tank or any artillery.. You're in Camp Lejeune.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote