Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
dugkim OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Pissed Coocase V35/V37 and Twisted Throttle (Review)

Hopefully, this is the correct place to post product and reseller review information. I wanted to advise my fellow inmates regarding an experience I've had with the above-mentioned topcase and following customer service. This post is for your information so that you can properly weigh your purchasing decisions in the future.

In may of 2011, I purchased a Coocase topcase and related adapter plates from Twisted Throttle for my 2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I had prior positive experiences purchasing items from Twisted Throttle. By July, 2011, I had two issues develop with the Coocase quality: 1) the electrical connection for the integrated brake lights failed almost immediately and 2) the bottom tabs that keep the front of the case attached to the mounting plate had sheared off. This was so puzzling because the bike had never been laid down and I hadn't been on any difficult terrain to otherwise abuse the case. I do often ride with my wife in the pillion position and wondered if for some reason this "pressure" had cause the issue. Regardless, they offered a backrest for this topcase, which I had also purchased for this application.

At that time, Twisted Throttle honored my warranty and replaced the case, sending me out a new case. Great experience and the right thing to do. Fast forward 2.5 yrs and I've had these tabs shear off again. This time with almost no use whatsoever. Because of work, I've barely ridden at all in this timeframe, but had another recent dual-sport ride of combination tarmac and gravel roads and I returned to find the tabs sheared off again.

I called Twisted Throttle and they informed me that they have discontinued carrying Coocase because "they haven't lived up to their end of quality backing of their product". I asked for them to apply the $ I was out toward another product in their catalog - one that had solid reviews. I was prepared to pay the difference if there was an increase in cost to go to a quality product. I was told that because of the time passed, they would not honor my request. Instead they offered me a 10% discount on the purchase of the new topbox and required adapter plate. I chose instead to take my business elsewhere and advise others that Twisted Throttle may not back your purchase of their products.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm careful, meticulous and take great care of my equipment. Disappointing. Back to SW-Motech, Wunderlich and Touratech, gladly.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugkim View Post
Hopefully, this is the correct place to post product and reseller review information.
It is not.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
actually sounds like some good customer service, your purchase was over 2 yrs ago, did you actually expect a full refund?
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapB View Post
actually sounds like some good customer service, your purchase was over 2 yrs ago, did you actually expect a full refund?
+1. They replaced the first one under warranty, and you're mad they didn't replace it a 2nd time 2 years out of warranty? Sheesh.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
dugkim OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I did. You in the habit of buying $300 topcases every two years, are you?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,501
2 years old but you still got a 10% coupon? sounds to good to be true, so send me the discount code and ill verify the coupon for you
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 251
Perhaps try contacting Coocase directly instead of Twisted Throttle.

I would not expect the retailer to warranty this case after 2 years, even with a "little to no use" claim (I've seen some stuff returned as "unused" that looked like it had been through hell), especially if they are no longer carrying the product.

I'll take that 10% coupon if you're not gonna use it
IBA Member #57912
Lucky_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
+1. They replaced the first one under warranty, and you're mad they didn't replace it a 2nd time 2 years out of warranty? Sheesh.
GIVI will fix, replace or send you replacement parts for life.

I've called and emailed wanting to PURCHASE replacement parts, they just sent them to me.

I had an unreplaceable part break and asked if I could purchase just a base, since I saw a parts diagram with breakdowns and part numbers.

They instead asked for my address, I expected a base, I got a new case in the mail, updated model.

Since coocase is a direct competitor to GIVI, they should offer a similar warranty, otherwise buying a higher priced case because it has some lights and and stuff is ridiculous.

Have a mounting tab sheer off is a sign of a poor product, plain and simple.

To the op, I'd post this in the twisted throttle thread in the vendor section
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
GIVI will fix, replace or send you replacement parts for life.

I've called and emailed wanting to PURCHASE replacement parts, they just sent them to me.

I had an unreplaceable part break and asked if I could purchase just a base, since I saw a parts diagram with breakdowns and part numbers.

They instead asked for my address, I expected a base, I got a new case in the mail, updated model.
I've also had outstanding service from Givi.... but I contacted Givi, not the retailer.... especially after a couple years post installation. He needs to be in contact with Coocase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
To the op, I'd post this in the twisted throttle thread in the vendor section
I fail to see why this unfortunate situation should reflect poorly on Twisted Throttle. They replaced the original case after only a few months of ownership, but two years later is no longer their problem.

As far as I'm concerned, TT has done the right thing three times here. 1) They warrantied his first case, 2) They offered a 10% discount on another purchase, & 3) They stopped carrying this brand because of quality issues, protecting their customers from shoddy products.
IBA Member #57912

Lucky_Devil screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 10:07 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
^ agreed, that's why I said it actually sounds like some good customer service to me. And offered 10% on his next purchase!
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,382
It's generally considered bad form to post the same complaint in more than one forum at the same time. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957219

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Quote:
^ agreed, that's why I said it actually sounds like some good customer service to me. And offered 10% on his next purchase!
Edited my previous post, you're right... they also offered a discount.
IBA Member #57912
Old 02-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
It's generally considered bad form to post the same complaint in more than one forum at the same time. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957219
IMO, this rant againt Twisted Throttle altogether is bad form.
IBA Member #57912
Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
dugkim OP
Adventurer

Appreciate the feedback

1) I feel justified in my complaint because this is the same problem both times (broken tabs). Clearly this is a design problem that should be addressed, no matter the time.

2) I was told by the first respondent that I had posted this in the wrong section. I also don't know how to delete a thread. It was not my intention to have this in more than one thread.

3) I have contacted Coocase through their website and will update if I receive any relief.