ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Oddometer: 69
Question 2015 Yamaha WR250R for a 210 lbs rider at elevation has someone done this?

Inmates:

My riding intentions were much different when I purchased my KLR650 New Edition. Have been doing more dirt than ever and the Kawi has been good me, yet it is a decent workout for a noob on Moody Hill, Kelly Flats and Old Flowers Road. After needing help lifting the pig up twice, and after riding an aging 520 EXC (which felt like a mountain bike), my focus is changing to lighter, street legal equipment.

So I started looking at the KTM 350 EXC and the Beta 500 RS. Will test those for feel this week. Prices are steep and I am not sure I need that much bike. This is when I came across the 2015 Yamaha WR250R. Reasonable compared to orange and red; taller seat and risers will create the ergos a 6.5 ft rider needs and plenty of aftermarket if need be. That poses the question: Will the injected 250 allow me (210lbs) to ride at elevation (e.g. COBDR 14K passes) at reasonable performance?

I am not a racer, will never be. Just looking to explore the Colorado backcountry on something more appropriate than the KLR.

Thanks for your insight,
Proettermann
Proettermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,964
I'm 6'2 and weigh about that. My 2009 WRR was a huge upgrade from my 2007 KLR in every way except low-end torque and highways. I don't miss my KLR and wouldn't hesitate to buy another WRR.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Osprey, thanks for the reply. Have you traveled above 12K, and if so, was the performance acceptable? I am trying to see whether I have to lug around in first or can motor on?

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Yes. On very steep sections, slipping the clutch helps avoid stalling. I just learned that this summer while riding the Jekyl and Hyde (thanks to Esteban)...
Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

and yes, you'll probably be in first.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Thanks again. I will test it for fit and finish later this week.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,814
You will need to go up in size on the rear chain ring to something like 47.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
flyinghorse
Thank you Herbert Spencer

Oddometer: 1,218
Only had the WRR for a couple of months, but was very pleased with it. Had the FMF power commander for more go, FMF Q4 pipe worked well with it. 1 tooth down on the front sprocket, 2 teeth up on the rear and it power wheelied in second at 9,000 feet. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs. Only sold it because well I seem to buy and sell bikes constantly, 11 in the stable right now.
2014 KTM 500XC-W, 2009 WR450F,1988 ZB50, 1974 MR 50 Elsinore, 1981 CT70 with a 125 Lifan AKA Suicycle, 2006 Sikk MX125, 2007 Scorpa SY250F long ride, 2003 KLX110, 2008 CRF70, 2001 XR50 for sale in SoCal
flyinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
absolutely no need to buy a 2015 as nothing changed on these bikes since introduction. Save yourself a lot of cash and depreciation if you decide the bike isn't a good fit.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Is it 690 power... No.
Will it work just fine... Yes

I've had mine above 12,000 a lot and no issues. I am about 170 lbs, so a little under you but don't see issues. I take camping gear often and no problems with weight. Rode a bunch of group rides all over Colorado, often I'm the smallest bike.... Never have any issues keeping pace.

The absolute key is gearing the bike correctly. You must start at 13/47 range and then gear lower as you need/want. I run 13/49 with a mt43 and love it. Will run highway speeds no problem with that gearing. People will say it won't, but they simply don't rev it enough. The wrr does need revs. Has little torque.

I beat the piss out of my wrr, and it loves it. You can rack serious miles on them with no issues. Think 25,000+ miles before looking in the motor. I'll be hitting 30,000 miles on mine shortly and only change oil, spark plug three times, air filter, 1 set of chain sprockets (although need new soon), tires, hand guards when I bust them off, one battery change. Original battery (2008), just died this winter. Then I've kept everything lubed up. Will need new fork seals this spring, but commuting a lot through the winter so will let the road grim finish them off.

I do lust for more power to wheelie and such but the wrr is so solid it's a tradeoff I'm fine with... For now.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
absolutely no need to buy a 2015 as nothing changed on these bikes since introduction. Save yourself a lot of cash and depreciation if you decide the bike isn't a good fit.
x2
Old 12-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #12
w33b8t1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
195 here and have ridden it at only 7k so far. It works.

There is no low end on the bike, but I think it is a really neat bike for what it is. I had a KLR and it sucks in comparison, but it even had a better bottom end.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:55 AM   #13
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
OP, I think you'll be fine off road & technical riding in lower gears. The FI will handle the altitude well, within reason. Where I found the WR to fall flat was on pavement getting to those places. Riding with others on larger bikes I simply could not keep up, or even go the speed limit in some cases over high passes and steep grades. I am 225 lbs. +/- with gear on.

Eventually I fixed that with mods like PC5 + AT200 (autotune), FMF Q4 + megabomb header, airbox mods, AIS delete, and so forth. No gearing changes. Now it pulls very strongly in all gears (relatively speaking to stock) and I even got pulled over by the Highway Patrol for speeding (75 MPH in a 60 zone) @ 8k ft ASL, which never would have been possible without the mods. No ticket just a warning, cop thought it was funny when I explained what I was doing (testing the then-new mods).

The off road and gravel performance is much better as you might imagine. Not pulling wheelies or anything but now the throttle is not just a weak on/off switch, it is actually somewhat linearly related to acceleration and power, like a real motorcycle :) It even has a low, middle, and top end too!

I agree with going used vs new, no reason to pay so much more, not to mention you'll get hit hard on property taxes (in CO) each year with the new bike vs say an 08-09. Nice low miles used are under 4k, sometimes well under.

fred flintstone screwed with this post 12-03-2014 at 05:21 AM
fred flintstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Devil's advocate / what everyone else isn't saying.

I had an '08 WRR and other than it's plate-ability and sixth gear I was really disappointed.

The suspension is garbage.

Felt heavy for what it weighed.

No kickstart.

I felt that it had a serious lack of power, even for my 140 pound self.

I hated the fuel injection, didn't like that you needed a fuel programmer to actually see the benefits of smog block off kits, air box modification, aftermarket exhaust, etc.

It's a great platform if you want nothing to do with performance. There's a massive aftermarket following.

Best thing about the bike is the sixth gear, long service intervals(26,000 miles for valves) and the locking handlebars.

However on the bright side when I went to sell it I got exactly what I was asking for it - not a penny less. They keep their value well so you won't get bent over backwards buying a used one and selling it again if you end up finding it as uninspirational as I did.

It's miles away from the KTM and Beta performance wise, fit and finish, quality of parts...

If I'm honest it felt as if I was on an overweight XR250 with a Chinese inverted fork.

Geolander screwed with this post 12-03-2014 at 06:48 AM
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #15
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
Devil's advocate / what everyone else isn't saying.

I had an '08 WRR and other than it's plate-ability and sixth gear I was really disappointed.

The suspension is garbage.

Felt heavy for what it weighed.

No kickstart.

I felt that it had a serious lack of power, even for my 140 pound self.

I hated the fuel injection, didn't like that you needed a fuel programmer to actually see the benefits of smog block off kits, air box modification, aftermarket exhaust, etc.

It's a great platform if you want nothing to do with performance. There's a massive aftermarket following.

Best thing about the bike is the sixth gear and the locking handlebars.

However on the bright side when I went to sell it I got exactly what I was asking for it - not a penny less. They keep their value well so you won't get bent over backwards buying a used one and selling it again if you end up finding it as uninspirational as I did.

It's miles away from the KTM and Beta performance wise, fit and finish, quality of parts...

If I'm honest it felt as if I was on an XR250 with a Chinese inverted fork.
Lot of your criticisms are valid, esp WRT how strangled the motor is stock with all the emissions nonsense on it. The suspension is not great but can be dialed in to acceptable levels with a little patience.

I wanted a WR over KTM etc because of the much longer maintenance intervals and the FI for not messing with carbs and jetting every time I changed elevation 5k ft. Street legal, 6 speed, etc. Elec. power for aux stuff.

As far as weight, try picking up a loaded GS adventure 10 times on trails (my other bike), the WR feels like a mountain bike in comparison.

But seriously, if you are into or used to a riding style that likes a KTM or similar, WR is maybe not for you. Which is fine. Just be prepared to pay for it in terms of maintenance and so forth. With the motor uncorked and susp dialed in, a USED WR is a pretty good deal IMHO and does many things very well. My '08 with 300 miles on it was ~3500 in 09, and now yearly CO taxes have tapered off to the minimum.

I am a cranky older guy who does not ride too aggressively, not too into changing oil + adjusting valves and so forth every other ride, the WR as presently modded is a good fit. A decent all-around on/off road multi-purpose bike once the altitude power issues were resolved.

fred flintstone screwed with this post 12-03-2014 at 07:07 AM
fred flintstone is online now   Reply With Quote