Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #31
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Oddometer: 207
Yes iceland, we did have a good time. Would have liked to explore a little more and rather on two bikes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we reached the ring road we decided to go around the south and have a look at some glaciers and ice lakes fed by them .

On the way to Svinafellsjökull.

Getting really close to a glacier.

At the glacier lake Breidarlon.

Some even fancied a bath. Not me. I'm not too fond of cold water.

Taking it all in. Just beautiful.

And one with bike.

Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #32
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Surely you didn't make your wife walk through the water twice to get pictures of you riding through it, did you?!!!
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #33
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Surely you didn't make your wife walk through the water twice to get pictures of you riding through it, did you?!!!
No, she never had to walk through the water twice. But she had to walk through once a couple of times and then had a camera with her. Cold water is good for the blood circulation of the legs, you know?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #34
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

We then went on to the next lake with a similar looking. Its called Jökulsarlon.

Some good relaxing drink in the evening.

Small breakfast at the gas station.

Little fishing village on the way.

between Djupivogur and Hallormsstadur

Meeting other bikes on the way.

Then we were on our way to Askia, a volcano in the north east of Iceland.

A sign often seen in the highlands to warn you what is to come.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #35
Oznay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
What a great ride,thanks for sharing..
Oznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #36
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
No, she never had to walk through the water twice. But she had to walk through once a couple of times....
That made me laugh out loud, very funny.

If you USA travels ever bring you near St. Louis, MO, please stop by and we'll get you some St. Louis style BBQ ribs. Might not compare to Icelandic food....
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #37
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Quote:
That made me laugh out loud, very funny.

If you USA travels ever bring you near St. Louis, MO, please stop by and we'll get you some St. Louis style BBQ ribs. Might not compare to Icelandic food....
Thanks for the offer boatpuller, sounds very good but I don't think we'll get to that region in the near future. But, always glad to entertain you...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First hours ride was dry, but then it was time for wet feet.

And another one.

Getting deeper into the highlands. No vegetation anymore.

They do build bridges every now and then. I was glad for this one.

Arriving at Askia we set up our tent and then took a walk to some lakes.

The one in the front is warm (there were people swimming in it) and the one behind it is cold. They are called Vito-and-Öskjuvatn.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #38
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Awesome pictures...thanks for sharing!!

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #39
astur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
the FHOTOS, are................WONDERFUL,.THANK S.

SALU2. OFF SPAIN.
astur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #40
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Hello astur and hvilla, glad you like the pictures. Yes, it is an amazing place with great landscape. Cheers Thomas

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leaving Askia Sandra looked at the options and decided on taking a route on which the offroad guide promised two deeper watercrossings. We didn't ask the rangers at the station at Askia what they looked like at the moment but just went to have a look. We had enough fuel to turn around if it was too deep at the moment. When we arrived at the first one I stopped and watched a woman walking through the water from a 4x4 standing at the other side. It was deeper than the crossings we had done before but looked managable. But not 2-up. Sandra walked across and waited on the other side. I tryed to follow her path but was somehow pushed further downstream a bit by the water. There the water became deeper and all of a sudden the engine died.

I got off the bike and looked under the tank. The air intake was well over the water. Then I made a mistake (that I only thought about later) and tryed to turn the engine with the kickstart. Since I have a low exhaust on the BMW that was filled with water as soon as the engine died, I filled the cylinders with water though the opening outlet valves. Of course the engine wouldn't start anymore. As I tried to move the bike backward - which wouldn't work- I found out why the engine had stalled so suddenly. The gravel I was on or rather in was big and loose so that the front wheel was standing in it well over the rim. That had soaked all of the power out of the engine and it went a sleep. I called Sandra to come and help me. Together we made it back onto the river bank. I pulled out the tools and took out both spark plugs. Then I let the starter blow the water out of the cylinders.

Then the plugs went in again and the starter blew the water out of the exhaust. After that was done the engine started working again.
So, let's try this again. And you won't believe it the engine died again. This time I was further in towards the middle and Sandra was in the water behind me and could help. So this time we made it through the river. Not quite the way I had imagined. So I got out and did the same procedure as before and the engine was running again.

I wasn't too concerned about water in all of the oils the bike has as I had put the breathers of all the bikeparts high under the tank already years ago. (I had been in the wet with the bike before.)

We carried on and it turned out that that was the most challenging crossing of the trip.
The next one was really easy altough I walked it first.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 AM   #41
Thomas B. OP
desert racer

Some watercrossings even gave information on how to do the crossing.

Since Sandra didn't want wet boots we had her sandles always ready.

After all the cold water we went for a swim in one of the big natural hot pots.

The people on Iceland like hot dogs for a snack. You get them everywhere.

We still had time for a last tour into the highland and so we headed out in the morning. Sandra said there would be no water today but the guide book said something about a steep climb. Once we left the road we followed a valley that lead us higher and higher towards the highlands.

on the way between Akureyri and Laugafell

There was a small creek we had to cross a couple of times but not worth mentioning. Then it became steeper and steeper. The rock became bigger and almost had the size of soccerballs. Then the creek decided to come down our path. The intercom had been quiet for some time already when all of a sudden I heard Sandra say: if you want to you can turn around. Yeah, right. In this situation there was no turning around. The only way was to wrestle the bike all the way up the path.

We finally reached the highest point and then had a smooth ride across the highlands.

After reaching Laugafell we took a route that brought us back to the road in the north.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #42
Gsteven
adventure gloggy

Oddometer: 49
Beautifull! Keep it coming. I'll be there in August this year for 2 weeks, hope it is going to be as nice as it looks in your report!
Thanks,
Steven
Gsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #43
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 398
Amazing territory and pics. I've read your TAT/Baja trip reports too. Nice work.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #44
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,738
Thumb

Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #45
bob66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Wow, what a beautiful landscape is there. Now it's on my wish list :)

Cristian / Bob
bob66 is offline   Reply With Quote