User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Adding helmet lock to bike?

My Aprilia does not have a helmet lock. I'm a little paranoid about leaving the helmet on the bike in some places. And at times, I really don't want to carry it around. I've seen a product that looks like a carabiner with a combination lock on it, but it's $25 or so. And I've read reviews that say they are useless, don't work, etc.

Anybody make their own, or find an alternative product to lock a helmet to a bike?
Old 03-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Fudge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I use the new Helmetlok II, works well enough.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...ii-helmet-lock
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Jsboening
Social Cockroach.

Oddometer: 15
I've been eyeing this one, but it's a bit spendy.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=390789239746
Jsboening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I've been looking for one too since my '13 800XC requires removing the passenger seat to access the factory lock.

This site has a bunch of them in several styles (Hinged and dead-bolt).

http://www.satoracing.com/index_helmetlocks.htm

The dead-bolt type is what I am considering because it's similar to the very nice factory helmet lock on my DR650. I think something like this could be mounted under my rear rack.

http://www.satoracing.com/helmetlock...ter1100evo.htm

I would like to hear from anyone that has one of these and what their opinion is of it.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
If you have room for a small cable lock and someware on the bike to loop it through. I use a 6 footer, coils up small.

Thats what I do, even goes through a sleave of my jacket, chin bar of the helmet so I can lock both to the bike

Here's a pic, found in the local hardware store lock section. I know, the table needs cleaning.

rollinrob screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 07:02 PM
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
If you have room for a small cable lock and someware on the bike to loop it through. I use a 6 footer, coils up small.
+1. Here's what I use now on my expensive modular or when leaving a nice jacket on the bike: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 If somebody wants something bad enough, they'll get it. However, this keeps the honest people honest.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
one recommendation, lock it on handle bars... any lower and some asshole will pee in it.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
Jsboening
Social Cockroach.

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
one recommendation, lock it on handle bars... any lower and some asshole will pee in it.
OMG! I hope you noticed before putting it on.
Jsboening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
My bike has hooks under the seat, very old school. But back in the day, the seat had hinges… just flip the seat up, hang the helmet on the hooks & close the seat. Easy to do, even with a helmet in one hand. Current bikes (like mine) have removable seats…awkward to use, even with both hands free. I invested in one of the lock sets located on the registration plate, but that requires a separate key to be found & lets the helmet hang low, near the ground, & open to rain & dust. I finally bought the carabiner device (motorcyclegear.com) I can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't $25.00….more like half that, I think. It works out fine for me. The carabiner lives, open, in the tank bag.I can lock it to the center of handlebars between the bar risers, in about 10 seconds. The carabiner is rubber clad, so no paint scratches. It has a combination, so no key required. The helmet sits upright, on the handlebars/instruments so it's high up & closed to rain & dust (& passers-by who need to whizz). I'd say give it a try, if you can find it for a good price. I have to say that an old school seat that opens on hinges, like a tool box, with a couple of simple hooks underneath, was the simplest & best. Get off the bike, (key still in your hand) Unlock the seat & pop it open. take off the helmet & hang on the hooks. Close the seat. Remove key & walk away. Alas, hinged seats seem to have gone the way of the center stand.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Sorry about that, I had a 6 pack of Labatt and really needed to go.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Not wanting to carry a second key or remember a combination and being really cheap I came up with a couple of things.

Take the seat off your bike, see if you have a bolt close to the edge. If you do remove it, get a longer bolt and nut. Put the longer bolt in and have the nut be the tightening force of the bolt. IE now there is a gap between the nut and bolt head. remove seat, place helmet d ring on bolt head, close seat.

If your bike has a helmet lock but it's in a silly location or you want to lock more than one helmet or a helmet and jacket to the bike then pick yourself up a car cover lock cable.

One end is looped while the other end has a fisheye. Loop the fisheye through the loop and lock the fusheye into the oem helmet lock.

No extra locks, no extra keys, no combination.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
I had a short cable lock that I will use for now. It's opened with a key, and short enough to be easily wrapped up and stored under the seat. I just think having one mounted semi-permanently to the bike would be a lot easier.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Try a gun cable lock. You can find them on E bay , 5 for $12.99
jas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,184
I do the same as Rob, 5' combi bike cable for the jacket and helmet looped through the frame or bars.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
Try a gun cable lock. You can find them on E bay , 5 for $12.99
Often, police departments give them away for free as part of gun safety programs. Call your local dept and ask. I got some and my guns are safe and so is my helmet.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote