Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #31
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,587
We are looking to be in London and around beginning the 28th of May. We fly into Heathrow then.
I've actually gotten her talked into going to the IOM for a day or two.
Our 40th wedding anniversary. So I am a hopeless romantic.
I once rented a condo overlooking a race course in the mountains of Colorado. The pool actually sat on the wall of the course. "She who must be obeyed" was not that amused. Everythihg I know of the UK I learned from Masterpiece Theater on our PBS. And 50,000 miles of Norton ownership, Top Gear, James May, and of course Downton Abbey.
We're looking at VRBO, or such small place just the two of us. She is busy looking up places with wifi.
I need to work out the rest.
Museums and such sound great. I am of course a motorcycle guy. Transport: probably stick to trains and walking, or bus.
Don't care a bit about shopping. Country house might be cool. We are not extravagant travelers. 60 year old teenager who prefers beer, coffee, and simple food.
I'd rather not burn cash real quick. I'd tried talking her into a drive up the coast here, but of course that went over like a sack of wet kittens.
I think we want to avoid the shit B&B's.

Yeah I figure the football thing can be fed at some random pub or other. when we visited some friends in France a few years ago we'd all go to this Scottish pub in Paris for WSBK and MotoGP. That was epic. Big flat screens and motorcycle race fans. Here if you find a motorcycle race on in a bar it is purely accident and will be changed to NASCAR before it pisses off the drunks.

What does Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens sound like? Found a flat there for 455/week. pounds, I have no idea how to get to that symbol on this computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodwick View Post
Hello Mr Head,
London is full of museums and historic places of interest. It's also full of pubs... Out in the countryside there are castles and old houses. What sort of history are you interested in?

Where do you want to stay and what's your cash flow situation? Some hotels can cost a substantial amount both in and away from London. Same with food. A bag of chips won't break the bank but some 'gastro' pubs in the country charge as much as in central London. There are some great country house hotels... We also seem to do a great selection of really shit B&B's...
It always seems pot luck turning up at a strange hotel or B&B in the UK... It's often a surreal experience in strangeness...

I can't help with football...
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #32
redjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Some B&B's can be owned by really quirky owners. Some do it for the only for the money and some do it because they genuinely enjoy it.
I have stayed in some really good B&B's and others that were just a place to sleep.
The owners attitude make all the difference.

redjay screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 02:51 PM
redjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 AM   #33
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
If you get chance,checkout Lincolnshire,its abit ofF the beaten track,,but its got loads to offer,namely not many tourists,and we serve decent beer..wHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT????
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #34
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
I am planning a whole month in UK and some Europe

I'm taking off for UK around the end of June and have the whole month of July and maybe even the first week of August for this trip.

Doing a 7-10 day street bike tour of UK is included. So is a weekend moto trip to Germany. I end up in Interlaken.

Any suggestions on the route for the UK Islands Ten Day Tour? I start off from Leicester, Midlands. I see that south of London is on here. Lincolnshire and Bath is on here as well. There's more and all of it needs to be investigated. My British cousin and his wife are going with me and we are staying out of the cities unless we go in for something to do for an afternoon or morning off the bike. Maybe a day or two in a city would be good too- off the bikes and touring. But we are not counting London for that as I'll have already gone through that one. Suggestions for the towns and what's there? Routes? Do not miss, non-pub, things to do in UK?

Thanks!

Supah Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 07:56 AM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #35
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
I'm taking off for UK around the end of June and have the whole month of July and maybe even the first week of August for this trip.

Doing a 7-10 day street bike tour of UK is included. So is a weekend moto trip to Germany. I end up in Interlaken.

Any suggestions on the route for the UK Islands Ten Day Tour? I start off from Leicester, Midlands. I see that south of London is on here. Lincolnshire and Bath is on here as well. There's more and all of it needs to be investigated. My British cousin and his wife are going with me and we are staying out of the cities unless we go in for something to do for an afternoon or morning off the bike. Maybe a day or two in a city would be good too- off the bikes and touring. But we are not counting London for that as I'll have already gone through that one. Suggestions for the towns and what's there? Routes? Do not miss, non-pub, things to do in UK?

Thanks!

Supah Suz
Head south on the M1 and head for the Euro Tunnel at Folkestone. Get off the train in France 35 mins later and head for the Italian and Swiss Alps. Seriously! You've come too far not to do it.
Have fun in whatever you choose.
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #36
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,587
Well, best laid plans and all. Work reared it's ugly mug and screwed up plans.
Didn't cost me much so I guess that is a bonus, but who knows when We'll get back to it.
Ah well at leas there is work.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #37
redmurty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
With only 5 days you could do a decent tour of the kent area starting in Canterbury or head down towards Portsmouth for the history and then into the New Forest, history country side and pubs all in one go.

Or head towards the midlands and do Warwick and the Cotswold area's

cheers Spud
Old 03-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #38
redmurty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

Thanks!

Supah Suz
Personally I would head north to the lake District and then on up to the west coast of Scotland. This is all dependant on the mileage your happy doing on a daily basis

cheers Spud
Old 03-30-2014, 04:26 AM   #39
winder9561
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have been all over the UK in the last year on my bike. My interests are stunning country side, good beer and good people, if you have similar interests i strongly recommend you visit Yorkshire and the Lake District.
The city of York is stunning and full of history and rammed full of traditional pubs.
From the city to the country takes no time at all and the Yorkshire Dales and Moors are stunning.
As for the Lake District, i go there every year to walk up the mountains and drink ale. It's a little more tourist focused but the mountains are spectacular.
winder9561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #40
Byron1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
If you are up on your way North from London you'll pass through the East midlands.. There are loads of nice pubs and small villages in Lincolnshire / Leicestershire. It's right on the door step for Nottingham and Derby too. My family own a bed and breakfast just on the edge of the vale of belvoir Www.allingtonmanor.com give us a shout and we'll be able to do you a good rate (pending availability - summer months very busy) talk bikes, decent places to ride and if I'm free I'll even pop out riding with you.

There's so much to see in the UK, West Coast of Scotland is amazing too many places though. Wherever you go you'll enjoy.

Good luck and give me a shout if your passing through .

Byron
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #41
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
it appears you got the title correct

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #42
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oddometer: 147
Quote:

Thanks!

Supah Suz
Get out of Leicester as quickly as you can!
gunshot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #43
Grazoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Depending on when in July...

Just go to Derby for the Beer festival week...

Info on why Derby for beer... http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Lone...ail/story.html

Info on the Charter Beer festival... http://www.derbycamra.org.uk/summer-beer-festival/

Wednesday through to Sunday sorted :)
Old 04-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #44
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Well, best laid plans and all. Work reared it's ugly mug and screwed up plans.
Didn't cost me much so I guess that is a bonus, but who knows when We'll get back to it.
Ah well at leas there is work.
That's a real shame :(
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 AM   #45
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,934
Head for Yorkshire, the lake district, peak district. Or Snowdonia - maybe go further to Scotland and the Highlands. Try the Mull of Kintyre, Fort William, maybe even John O'Groats - you're gonna meet tourists wherever you go but so what? :)

Don't overlook Kent, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Cambridgeshire & Norfolk if you'd rather make day trips.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

catweasel67 screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 09:35 AM
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote