ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
MaddBrit OP
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,468
Thumb Bay Area - 5 Stars to Ted Porters Beemershop!

Guys,

I recently called CalBMW to book my GS Adventure in for a 12K service. First shock was they were booked solid for 5 weeks - second shock was the price - $560 + tax.

WTF.

Dick on this site recommended Ted Porter to me who has recently started the independant 'Beemershop' in Scotts Valley, CA, just outside of Santa Cruz. Ted quoted $300 - and was prepared to come and get my bike with his trailer (60 miles each way) at no extra charge (I did give him some $$$ towards the gas - although he did not ask for it). Ted used to be service manager at both San Jose BMW and also at Watsonville prior to setting up on his own recently. He has been a 'wrench' for over 25 years and clearly has a passion for the BMW brand.

I decided to have all the ABS system drained and refreshed at the same time as I have a big roadtrip planned shortly, and also opted for a change to synthetic oil. FYI Ted does the ABS brake fluid replacement for just $99! I picked my GS up today (he would have delivered it next week but I needed it for a ride tomorrow).

The GS is honestly running better than it ever has! I cant say how impressed I am with the service - its outstanding. Ted took the time to run over everything he did on the service (inc throttle sync etc), and also provided a 2 page service data sheet which shows all the values of the brake pads, valve and torque settings on everything from the drain plug to the locknut on the valve adjusting screw.

I only went to Ted as I couldnt get an appointment with Cal and was also put off by the high price tag.

Not only did Ted carry out an excellent job but I also saved over $200 over the BMW dealer.

I can highly recommend this guy - and before you ask I am not linked with Ted or the Beemershop in any way. I just want to share my positive experience with the rest of YFF's.

Go to:
www.beemershop.com

(FYI the picture of the GS on his homepage is mine - tied up alongside an old slash 2 that he was picking up from San Fran).

Teds number:
831 438 1100

MaddBrit screwed with this post 09-10-2005 at 04:04 PM
MaddBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
I just took Ted a nice bottle of wine to thank him 'cause I called him with a question in the middle of my spline lube and he had the answer.

His new shop looks great.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Curtisblow
Curt

Oddometer: 7
Ted Porter

Ted is also one of the only guys around in nor CA who will work on older 1960 BMW as well in case anyone has that need/ /2's R69's etc.
Curtisblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
Popey
Nutter

Oddometer: 1,704
Thanks for recommendation Bob, and glad you gave Cal the ADVRider salute for that crazy price. After we chatted at the Dog Patch I couldn't believe it.

SF is quite a hike away his shop, so I'll have to get creative when I need my 24k service...
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Popey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
rjdills
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Just what i would have expected to hear about Ted

I have been a loyal customer of Santa Cruz BMW since purchasing my bike there 2 1/2 years ago. And they still do an awesome job for me. However, I miss having Ted there. He always gave me an extra sense of thoroughness when I dealt with him there. It is also good to see him recover from a nasty fall on his RT about two years ago.

I ran into him at the Santa Cruz BMW parts counter about six month ago. I had to follow him outside before he would admit he was in business for himself; he was very reluctant to speak about it in their store; he did not want to steal a customer. He is a very honorable guy if you ask me.

I don't know how his departure from Santa Cruz occured, but they lost a solid citizen. The young guy that replaced him there is obliviously trying to do a good job, which counts for alot, but he has a lot of life ahead before he is at Ted's level.
1977 Triumph Bonnevile 750 (Bonnie)
1977 Yamaha 500TT (Tata)
2001 Beta ALP 200 (Betty)
2004 BMW 1150 GS (Sally)
2007 KTM 450 EXC (Rikki)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Karen)
2008 Beta 250 LongRide Trial (Bella)
2008 Polaris Razr (Rachel)
2009 BMW 1200 GS (Bailey)
2009 Honda CRF 230 R (Heather)
rjdills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
MaddBrit OP
Now officially a Yank.

A couple of things...

Ed - he WILL pick up from San Francisco - but he usually likes to pick up 2 m/cs on his trailer at the same time. He had a beautiful slash 2 on the trailer from the city when he fetched mine. I think it only fair to give him something for the gas IMHO. If you want pick up and delivery then you need to be flexible with dates..

Bob - (I hope I am not gunna get Ted into trouble here..) Ted left Santa Cruz as they were finding it hard to pay a dedicated service manager when they have such a quiet winter down there - being down in Watsonville is not ideal - and I think the whole operation from what I hear was struggling to stay in the black all year. Ted did tell me he left on good terms FWIW.

Ted IS a good guy - to a fault. I cannot honestly complain about Cal BMW as to be honest I think they are pretty good. Ted is in another league though to be honest - and thats because he ENJOYS what he does above all else.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #7
Dick
Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer: 31,290
Yeah - Ted does great work and will spend the time to explain the work as well.

Hey MB - how was the ride?
Originally Posted by turkish
Einstein knew more about physics than the Pope knows about God.
Save some bux - use my Smugmug referral code: mIRMxjzAScHII

Dick screwed with this post 09-11-2005 at 05:55 PM
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
MaddBrit OP
Now officially a Yank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick

Hey MB - how was the ride?

Old 09-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Popey
Nutter

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBrit
A couple of things...
Ed - he WILL pick up from San Francisco - but he usually likes to pick up 2 m/cs on his trailer at the same time. He had a beautiful slash 2 on the trailer from the city when he fetched mine. I think it only fair to give him something for the gas IMHO. If you want pick up and delivery then you need to be flexible with dates..
Good to know, cheers Bob.
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Popey is offline   Reply With Quote