Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #1
petelatteier OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Weekend Trips from Dubai - Iran, Muscat...??

I have been thinking of planning some weekend trips from Dubai to get out and see some more of the area. I haven't been to Muscat yet and that is about a 5 hour ride. I am also considering taking the ferry to Iran and riding up to Shiraz or something.

I ride a Tiger 800XC, haven't really taken it off road much though, mostly gravel roads and construction areas so far. I'd like to do more with it and I'm up to try anything. Let me know if you are interested and we can start planning something.
petelatteier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 AM   #2
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Come and see us in Muscat! It's closer to 4 hours (remember the speed cameras photograph your face, so no chance of a ticket)

Iran is an expensive proposition, and isn't really possible in a weekend. You need a carnet de passage that is around $1,000 + a hefty deposit, and customs can take a day or two. You also need an Iranian visa.

Iran is such a PITA that I'm flying my bike to Turkey to begin the ride back to the UK. Air freight is considerably cheaper than the carnet.

Craneguy screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 05:29 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:50 AM   #3
petelatteier OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I will definitely get out to Muscat on of these days.

I have been reading up on taking the ferry to Iran and all the customs stuff you have to deal with. A couple of people had to wait an extra day to collect their motorcycles! It would for sure be longer than a weekend trip and it is getting less and less appealing.
petelatteier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Most of my little group will be in Dubai for a couple of days on the 24th of April. Drop me a PM with your contact information and maybe we can meet up?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
LarryMcG
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi there
Been in Dubai for a few months, bought a little royal enfield ( I'm a BMW guy) and had a great ride to Khasab, Oman , last weekend. Some really great tar and gravel roads!!
LarryMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
omid455
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Been to Muscat this Friday!

As a regular Muscat traveler from Dubai I can be good source of info. I did a Muscat ride this last Friday 2/5/2014. Took the long way towards Muscat for the first time (used to go straight from hatta) through Sohar, Yanqul, Rustaq. Amazing scenic road but i got fried on after 11:00AM. I left Dubai around 6:30AM and did about 591km (straight route is 420km). have been to Muscat and Oman in general a million times. the greatest weekend ride possible from Dubai. I love Oman, it is scenic and you can feel the adventure. great offroad sections. BTW I have a R1200GS Adventure which is absolutey fantastic.
omid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
LarryMcG
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Will join you!!! But in winter!! Rode north to musandam, Oman a while ago, and also got badly fried on way back, after 11 am
LarryMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
MileHighJunkie
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello

Hi Guys,

New to this site, im planning a trip around Oman in Oct from Dubai, would be keen to meet up with people along the way. Most likely will be traveling alone, thinking of going from Dubai-Musandam, back track again then cut across into Oman, down to Muscat, continue to Masirah Island, then back i guess.

Anyone got any advice or interested in joining. Im on a GSXR so gotta stick to the tar unfortunately! Id love to camp some of the nights but not so sure about that alone! Wuss of an Irishman!!

Colm.
MileHighJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote