ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
bluedog52 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Question Amateur Radio Operator/ Dual Sporter

Just getting started in ham radio. Picked up a Chinese baofeng radio , external mic , and antenna. Dusted off a copy of the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual. still studying so I can take test. Just started last night listening to Al, KE6LG, I hope that's right on the net K6JSI REPEATER 147.210 MHZ and channel surfing. Learning the band ply for 2 meter and 70cm and just practicing writing down contacts while listening to the nets. I also have the ARRL repeater directory 2011/2012 edition picked it up when I thought I was serious, it happens.

Just curious any serious hams that ride and are wiling to mentor in local area? I'm a stones throw from Bedford Canyon Road, Corona.
Quick question can I lock out the mick as to not inadvertently key inon my baofang uv-5r v2+? A little paranoid about doing this when maneuvering the radio and mic for better reception, this feeling of balancing a carton of eggs on top of groceries while walking up an ice covered drive with one peg leg.
bluedog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog52 View Post
Just getting started in ham radio. Picked up a Chinese baofeng radio , external mic , and antenna. Dusted off a copy of the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual. still studying so I can take test. Just started last night listening to Al, KE6LG, I hope that's right on the net K6JSI REPEATER 147.210 MHZ and channel surfing. Learning the band ply for 2 meter and 70cm and just practicing writing down contacts while listening to the nets. I also have the ARRL repeater directory 2011/2012 edition picked it up when I thought I was serious, it happens.

Just curious any serious hams that ride and are wiling to mentor in local area? I'm a stones throw from Bedford Canyon Road, Corona.
Quick question can I lock out the mick as to not inadvertently key inon my baofang uv-5r v2+? A little paranoid about doing this when maneuvering the radio and mic for better reception, this feeling of balancing a carton of eggs on top of groceries while walking up an ice covered drive with one peg leg.
Not down in your area now although I grew up there. Check out a local Ham Radio Outlet for some help or join a local Ham Radio group. Lot's of Ham groups on the web too, yahoo.groups, etc.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
bluedog52 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Not down in your area now although I grew up there. Check out a local Ham Radio Outlet for some help or join a local Ham Radio group. Lot's of Ham groups on the web too, yahoo.groups, etc.
Just moved here 2 years ago from orange county HB area. Seen all the open trails and got back into riding again I wouldn't have if we hadn't moved. Thought It would be better to find someone with more than one common interest. The adventure bike and ham radio to me just seem to go together. You know climb to the top of your favorite peak that's accessible and see who and how far away you can make a new contact while relaxing, recouping, taking in your surrounds. Limited time to fit in both diversions without taking away from my riding
Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,710
wish you're closer.

got my radio tech license, K K 6 H V V.. not too long ago. i have a ht and mobile radio. still learning how to use both radios. too many buttons, knobs, menu and functions.

a group of san diego riders has been using comm when they ride. locally, haven't found anyone interested as much as you are.

my next investment is get a helmet kit from mckenzie's ...http://helmetkits.com/

in the future, i would like to see more of us using comms and having a dedicated channel.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
wish you're closer.

got my radio tech license, K K 6 H V V.. not too long ago. i have a ht and mobile radio. still learning how to use both radios. too many buttons, knobs, menu and functions.

a group of san diego riders has been using comm when they ride. locally, haven't found anyone interested as much as you are.

my next investment is get a helmet kit from mckenzie's ...http://helmetkits.com/

in the future, i would like to see more of us using comms and having a dedicated channel.
I got their radio and kit. Well worth the money but your riding buddy's have to have them too.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Yeah, and so many places we ride through or end up you just can't hit a repeater or no line of sight for simplex. Certainly nothing in Death Valley. Definitely not reliable for emergency use. But I often take my HT with me on longer trips.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
GoBigGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Everything you ever want to know about that radio is here. http://www.miklor.com and here https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/baofeng_uv5r/info

Be sure to get programming software called Chirp and a programming cable (both detailed on the site above) and you can load up repeaters easily. Don't worry too much about accidentally transmitting, most repeaters need PL tones anyway, which you will learn more about if you have not already.

For exam prep checkout http://hamexam.org
I used it for a couple of evenings before the test and pass tech and general.

You also might enjoy the outdoor adventure net on the Keller peak repeater, more info here http://www.kpra.net/nets.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoBigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
There is a fun net Thursday evenings on the Keller Peak repeater. The gang at OAUSA also has meet 'n greets, has HAM testing and stuff like that. It is mostly a 4x4 crowd, but there are a few of us moto guys there as well.

Check out www.OAUSA.net for info.

73s
KI6BCA
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigGuy View Post
You also might enjoy the outdoor adventure net on the Keller peak repeater, more info here http://www.kpra.net/nets.html
GBG,

Missed this until after my post (also recommending the OAUSA net). Do you check in on the OAUSA net regularly?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Yeah, and so many places we ride through or end up you just can't hit a repeater or no line of sight for simplex. Certainly nothing in Death Valley. Definitely not reliable for emergency use. But I often take my HT with me on longer trips.
Most of the safety benefit from comms are rider-to-rider. We use them a LOT and I strongly prefer to ride with others using the system.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
traveltoad
Aaron S

Maybe we need to agree on an "official" South Western AdvRider simplex frequency.

traveltoad screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 08:46 AM
Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
bluedog52 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Was listening to the Keller repeater last night the swap net. I was able to get 5 solid contacts written down and of course Kirks k6vfo San Bernardino. Will be listening to knight if there's no problems. There was some problems last night on another repeater 147.210 k6jsi I think that's the call sign that's what I have written down. they were switching over to 70cm specific band cmc something. I scanned 70 cm nothing so gave up. In my repeater book that I use while listening for finding out band play I only have eme (earth to moon) cmc = com to com? I may have missed the simplex frequency for cmc or am I completely lost? Anyways getting a kick trying to write my contacts down and then cross referencing with band play to see where the correspond. Question are the + or - shifts the same for 70cm as in 2 meter .600 kHz? Whats the correct stepping for 2meter 10 or 16hz, whats the stepping for 70cm, 25hz?

I order the cable/software at the same time I bought the radio, 8'' Nagoya whip ante. and mic off amazon cable/software is being shipped from china. It was a suggested purchases for current item thing. Looking back at it looks to be for the uv5r uv3r+ my radio is uv-5rv v2+ I order just the uv-5r model!? Oh well I can manually enter repeaters as I find them that's half the fun. Is that all the cables used for to program stations?

Just ordered a rubberized case, 16'' whip and a magnetic mobile 24'' Cheap probably wasting my money all in so far less than 150. I'll stop and get better educated till then. I should be picking up a new rear tire $ or I'll be hobbling up the mountain on foot.

I'll be listening in tonight, night before last after a net I heard Mike I think in HB didn't catch his call sign but he was testing a similar rig as mine with and with out the external hand mic his contact couldn't tell any difference but on my end his signal sounded stronger with external mic I assume getting your radio at an arms reach away from your body up in the air makes a difference? My frustration, anxious to get my license.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 893
I have not run into anyone riding with a ham radio but they would be great for bike-to-bike. I tried a FTM-10SR on my Vstrom and DR350 but ended up mostly using it as an FM radio receiver. I suggest not trying to make random contacts while riding since it takes up too much attention, especially if the other guy has a poor signal.

FYI there is a Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club in Orange County: http://marc-hq.org/pages/homepage.htm They do some volunteer communication and moto support for bicycle and foot races. They also have a lot of info on their website relating to hooking up a mobile radio to a moto. They have proposed a worldwide motorcycle mobile simplex frequency on 144.370 MHz, PL 100.0 I might be a good choice for us to use. I have monitored this freq a little but never heard any thing on it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
I have not run into anyone riding with a ham radio but they would be great for bike-to-bike. I tried a FTM-10SR on my Vstrom and DR350 but ended up mostly using it as an FM radio receiver. I suggest not trying to make random contacts while riding since it takes up too much attention, especially if the other guy has a poor signal.

FYI there is a Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club in Orange County: http://marc-hq.org/pages/homepage.htm They do some volunteer communication and moto support for bicycle and foot races. They also have a lot of info on their website relating to hooking up a mobile radio to a moto. They have proposed a worldwide motorcycle mobile simplex frequency on 144.370 MHz, PL 100.0 I might be a good choice for us to use. I have monitored this freq a little but never heard any thing on it.
Thanks for that info.

OAUSA,net has a net on vehicle repair tonight at 7:30p on the Keller Peak repeater.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Kendrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I have my ticket (KI6CGL), and got it mostly because of the somewhat remote 4x4 trips I was going on. CB and FRS is so lackluster in comparison to a group with VHF/UHF capabilities. I sometimes ride solo and will bring my HT and repeater guide (also ride with a SPOT) as a 'just in case'.

Back in 2010 I was on 1N54 (Clarks Grade) and got clipped by a jeep coming down trail way too fast. I opted to punch into the upslope side rather than plunging off the edge. The resulting impact left me with a badly fractured and dislocated shoulder. The jeep drove off.

No cell service....and at that time of year, hardly anybody out and about. But with one good hand, I managed to raise an old-timer listening to the local repeater. I gave him my GPS location and my brother's cell phone number (he lives in Big Bear). It took about 2-3 hours, but he and my sister in law made it to me. She drove me out and to the hospital, and he rode my Super Enduro. Totally hilarious because he doesn't really ride and his feet don't touch the ground on that bike. Scared the hell out of him trying to get back to the road.

Long story short. Being licensed and having a radio saved me a lot of misery that day.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote