ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #16
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Good story!!! Glad you're ok!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #17
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Hey everyone,

Funny timing for this thread to pop up. I've been playing around with CB for a while now (cheap Uniden + Wilson 1000 on my truck) and had a lot of fun with it (CB has a negative rep, but I have found there are lots of cool hobbyist and 4x4 types around Simi / SFV) . I hear all the time that the Ham bands are much better, though. My CB is pretty much useless during the day unless its car to car. I used to listen to shortband a little as a kid (had a little Grundig portable...miss those days).

Realistically, how much range would I be able to get with one of those cheap Baofeng radios? Would it be possible to go from West SF Valley to Simi Valley (20 miles with some hills)? My friends and I ride dual sports and it would be cool to have a few of these for desert and trail riding in case we get split up or something breaks.

I hear repeaters mentioned a lot - how exactly do these work? Would it be OK to order one of these radios and just listen on it without a license?

How much would I have to study to get my tech license? I'll do it regardless, just want to know how much time I should set aside to learn everything in the next couple weeks.

mrchristian screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 12:50 PM
mrchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
xmasons
not a n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
Realistically, how much range would I be able to get with one of those cheap Baofeng radios? Would it be possible to go from West SF Valley to Simi Valley (20 miles with some hills)?
Simple answer: probably not. Similar to the FRS radios you may frequently see, radios generally work line-of-sight. If there are trees, hills, and mountains in the way, you're going to have difficulties.

Quote:
I hear repeaters mentioned a lot - how exactly do these work?
A repeater does just that: it repeats. A repeater is usually located on top of a high point, such as a tall building or hill. This allows communication over greater distances due to a higher antenna.

Quote:
Would it be OK to order one of these radios and just listen on it without a license?
You do not need to have your ticket to listen to the radio. However, do not touch that transmit button, that's where you'd get in trouble until you get your license. That said, go ahead and get your ticket. It's easy and inexpensive to do.

Quote:
How much would I have to study to get my tech license? I'll do it regardless, just want to know how much time I should set aside to learn everything in the next couple weeks.
Enrolling in an all day ham cram allows you to study the questions and take the test on the same day and get your results immediately. Usually costs about $15 for the whole thing.
xmasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #19
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,818
i studied here....http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/index.html

i find it better than reading books or hand outs. 1 hour every night for 2 weeks and 4 hours the night before the exam.

passed the first test.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #20
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Funny timing for this thread to pop up. I've been playing around with CB for a while now (cheap Uniden + Wilson 1000 on my truck) and had a lot of fun with it (CB has a negative rep, but I have found there are lots of cool hobbyist and 4x4 types around Simi / SFV) . I hear all the time that the Ham bands are much better, though. My CB is pretty much useless during the day unless its car to car. I used to listen to shortband a little as a kid (had a little Grundig portable...miss those days).

Realistically, how much range would I be able to get with one of those cheap Baofeng radios? Would it be possible to go from West SF Valley to Simi Valley (20 miles with some hills)? My friends and I ride dual sports and it would be cool to have a few of these for desert and trail riding in case we get split up or something breaks.

I hear repeaters mentioned a lot - how exactly do these work? Would it be OK to order one of these radios and just listen on it without a license?

There are a few repeaters up on Oat Mt. I think they can get into Simi and they cover the SF Valley well.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
There are a few repeaters up on Oat Mt. I think they can get into Simi and they cover the SF Valley well.
Cool! I did the practice tests until my eyes hurt for a couple hours and passed the tech exam this morning at Van Nuys Presbyterian Hospital. Lots of cool old guys administering the exam and there were a lot of other people taking the test. Just got to wait for my call sign to show up.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,818
Quote:
Cool! I did the practice tests until my eyes hurt for a couple hours and passed the tech exam this morning at Van Nuys Presbyterian Hospital. Lots of cool old guys administering the exam and there were a lot of other people taking the test. Just got to wait for my call sign to show up.

congrats for passing it. not to be taken lightly, it was tough, you're impressive.

same in pasadena, mostly older men, and they're all nice. it seems the older generation are still hanging to the old school comms - i love it. the new gen are all immersed in the digital smart thingy. nothing against it. still liking my ip4.

hear you around.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #23
traveltoad
Aaron S

Hey now Joel! THere are a few of us not-so-old guys who HAM.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
All old guys proctoring, but everyone I took the test with was under 30. I'm 24
Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #25
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Oh yeah, them old guys. But when you have that one time your ass is hangin' out to dry and you have to wimper, " If we only knew Morse Code". Who ya gonna call....?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #26
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
On the other hand, when I used to go to our local Ham group meetings a couple years ago, I did get a little nervous when seeing some of the folks sitting in front of me weren't moving much anymore. Had to check close for breathing movement a few times.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #27
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Oh yeah, them old guys. But when you have that one time your ass is hangin' out to dry and you have to wimper, " If we only knew Morse Code". Who ya gonna call....?
Haha... I got my ticket when you still had to pass code. (Not that I remember much of it).
Old 03-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #28
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,240
Quote:
and
Haha... I got my ticket when you still had to pass code. (Not that I remember much of it).
Got my Tech and Advanced when you needed code many moons ago. Got my Extra in 2011 when I got active again.

But unfortunately I am one of the old geezers...

Mostly a DXer
Sometimes a contester

347 countries

Gerg
NZ6E

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #29
traveltoad