ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #31
Perkio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
My whole family is licensed.
The kids passed when they were young, like 12 or 13.

I had a repeater here at my house for a few years, and it was linked to IRLP which gave us radio into internet out to radio around the world.

I've sold most of my gear except for a 1/2 broken HT and a mobile in my truck.

Anyway, I'm a new ADV rider near Corona but don't plan on riding a lot of dirt.

Maybe we'll ride meet for coffee one day.

Perk
Perkio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #32
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Hey now Joel! THere are a few of us not-so-old guys who HAM.
tt, sorry, not so old but a XYM.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
All old guys proctoring, but everyone I took the test with was under 30. I'm 24
this is young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
Got my Tech and Advanced when you needed code many moons ago. Got my Extra in 2011 when I got active again.

But unfortunately I am one of the old geezers...

Mostly a DXer
Sometimes a contester

347 countries

Gerg
NZ6E

awesome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkio View Post
My whole family is licensed.
The kids passed when they were young, like 12 or 13.

I had a repeater here at my house for a few years, and it was linked to IRLP which gave us radio into internet out to radio around the world.

I've sold most of my gear except for a 1/2 broken HT and a mobile in my truck.

Anyway, I'm a new ADV rider near Corona but don't plan on riding a lot of dirt.

Maybe we'll ride meet for coffee one day.

Perk

see you perk at the dvnr and let's play.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #33
bluedog52 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I've been studying from the ARRL license manual and taken notes almost finished with chapter two, wave length, phase, modulation etc...CW seems really interesting to me must be the minimalist in me doing the most with the least and being the origin of long distant coms. Don't know If i'll be able to pick up good enough to use it but seems very interesting.

Listening I have found 6 repeater frequencies so far. The other day heard two guys from Australia on the wins system they were just using mobile HTs. How does this system work?
bluedog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #34
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog52 View Post
I've been studying from the ARRL license manual and taken notes almost finished with chapter two, wave length, phase, modulation etc...CW seems really interesting to me must be the minimalist in me doing the most with the least and being the origin of long distant coms. Don't know If i'll be able to pick up good enough to use it but seems very interesting.

Listening I have found 6 repeater frequencies so far. The other day heard two guys from Australia on the wins system they were just using mobile HTs. How does this system work?
Where you located at? Just curious what repeaters you're getting.

My radio should ship to me tomorrow. I watched a bunch of videos on programming and think I can get a few repeaters into the Baofeng. Is there a guide anywhere that will give me a rundown on super basic etiquette? All I learned from the Technician exam was basically 'say your call sign' every ten minutes and at the end of the call.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
bluedog52 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
Where you located at? Just curious what repeaters you're getting.

My radio should ship to me tomorrow. I watched a bunch of videos on programming and think I can get a few repeaters into the Baofeng. Is there a guide anywhere that will give me a rundown on super basic etiquette? All I learned from the Technician exam was basically 'say your call sign' every ten minutes and at the end of the call.
Listen to the nets to get a feel on how others communicate. Fully charge your radio and then set up the stepping for each band 2m and 70cm. Get a pen a note book and a list for each bandplan and repeaters in your area. Cross reference using lists to see where in the band your hearing the coms and what repeater. The bandplan will also help you to scan specific frequencies in the spectrum according to your needs. Programing is just procedural follow the instructions that came with your radio. ARRL has a book operators manual for amateur radio you might want to look at.

I'm still studying for my license so programing the pl codes and just for repeater coms is beyond me. I'm just listening practicing writing all contacts down and notes as I listen.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #36
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
You can also buy a book of repeaters. Or there are some apps that will help you search repeaters as well.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #37
bluedog52 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
You can also buy a book of repeaters. Or there are some apps that will help you search repeaters as well.
Yeah I have the ARRL repeater book from 2011-2012 good if you travel But for local repeater contacts why not just scan for them. Then you know what you can hit or not. It did come in handy for 2m & 70cm bandplan reference guide.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #38
bluedog52 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My son printed out this list of local repeaters for me from here. They're for the 2 meter band

http://rptrlist.w6jpl.ampr.org/2m.htm

Looking back at my notes and saved channels it looks like 3 local repeaters and 2 simplex not 6 repeaters.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #39
bluedog52 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just curious if anyone listening in on ham radio. on Sat. night March 1st heard anything about the missing mountain biker? I turned in and turned off early sat. night.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #40
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Made my first contact on the Win System today. Really cool! Got some tips from guys who live up in places I like to ride - Big Bear, Johnson Valley, etc. Planning on riding out to Carrizzo Plain next weekend, so I'll have to experiment with the radio then.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #41
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quick bump - planning on riding out to the Carrizzo Plain soon. Anyone know of any active 2M/440 repeaters in the area? Online shows a one at 224.980, but my Baofeng won't tune to that frequency. I'm guessing there's no cell phone coverage out there.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #42
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
I have not run into anyone riding with a ham radio but they would be great for bike-to-bike. I tried a FTM-10SR on my Vstrom and DR350 but ended up mostly using it as an FM radio receiver. I suggest not trying to make random contacts while riding since it takes up too much attention, especially if the other guy has a poor signal.

FYI there is a Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club in Orange County: http://marc-hq.org/pages/homepage.htm They do some volunteer communication and moto support for bicycle and foot races. They also have a lot of info on their website relating to hooking up a mobile radio to a moto. They have proposed a worldwide motorcycle mobile simplex frequency on 144.370 MHz, PL 100.0 I might be a good choice for us to use. I have monitored this freq a little but never heard any thing on it.

i like it - 144.370, PL 100.0

bumpity for those who are interested.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote