Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu OP
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 237
We may be moving to suburban Miami in the coming weeks!

Well, I had a phone interview a week ago that *I* think went well. I'm hopeful for a 2nd round in-person interview around mid- to late-March. ::fingers crossed::

In the interim I'm web searching as much as I can related to our (hopeful-) eventual move. I do, however, have some questions I hope some of you folks down there can help me figure out.

Stream of consciousness things I'm thinking:

So, the job is in Hallandale Beach. Due to our current circumstances, when ( :-) ) I get the job I'll leave our home here in N. Georgia as soon as humanly possible to start work, leaving my wife & two kids here for a while.

Because we plan to move the rest of the family some time this summer, I want to seek temporary lodging for the time period April - May/June/July-ish. I could get an apartment for that time period. But... *My* ideal solution would actually be to live in my toy hauler for a few weeks/months. I think it would be cheaper, and more temporary, and allow me a reason to get the trailer down there. Does anyone know of a decent RV Park where I could find suitable living conditions for a few weeks/months around Hallandale Beach?

Meanwhile, back in GA: in that same time period, the wife will quit her job, pack & clean the house and we'll sell it after the end of this school year in May. We'll lose some 'cause we're just barely upside-down on it, but que sera sera. Then they'll move south with me.

Once here, we'll have to (1) rent a house for a while, as we'll have 0 nest egg to put towards a new house, and (2) we're looking toward living in Pembroke Pines because that's where the wife says the "good" public schools are.

What kind of plan is that? Sensible? Crazy? Pipe dream? Please add anything that may help me, or give me more to consider, or watch out for.

Thanks.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Zrexrob
Fla Mountains...yep!

Oddometer: 1,720
You'll regret not having a road with a curve to ride!

really...you will

I do!

Seven deadly sins Seven ways to win Seven holy paths to hell And your trip begins...
Zrexrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
florida

welcome to Florida , you will love the sun the coast and the weather , you may miss the mountain the forest ,,,. As far as park for your RV there are few state park but they are expensive your best chance will be to drive here and look at some trailer park that take RV . for the school your wife is pretty right in general the best school are west ( Parkland , coral spring ,cooper city...) but for young kid (under 13 ) the school Eat are good too. The cost of living is higher than your state and moving into a rental house without deposit is a very very difficult thing to do and I know what I am talking about I am Realtor in Fort Lauderdale

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendikaf View Post
welcome to Florida , you will love the sun the coast and the weather , you may miss the mountain the forest ,,,. As far as park for your RV there are few state park but they are expensive your best chance will be to drive here and look at some trailer park that take RV . for the school your wife is pretty right in general the best school are west ( Parkland , coral spring ,cooper city...) but for young kid (under 13 ) the school Eat are good too. The cost of living is higher than your state and moving into a rental house without deposit is a very very difficult thing to do and I know what I am talking about I am Realtor in Fort Lauderdale

Hendi! You are still around! Been a while....

He's right though....it's very pricey down there compared to the rest of the state...Sanjoh and Paula where in Sunrise, which was a little better I think, but rumor has it they sold their house down there....if you where west central, I could help you out..I usually avoid the area when I head to the keys...

Post up on the South Florida thread; Kyle and those guys are straight shooters and might have some insight...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...68848&page=168
Old 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Florida

I am still around , I was away for almost a year travelling around South America on my bike but I will be here until I get enough $$ to go on the road again

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendikaf View Post
I am still around , I was away for almost a year travelling around South America on my bike but I will be here until I get enough $$ to go on the road again
Very cool ! You got rid of your GS though....everybody has big bikes as well now and we've been doing rides.....

This was last month...

http://katoomr.com/2014/01/20/polar-...ide-year-2013/

Make sure you watch the videos...