DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Buy better gear.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #32
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I did a 4 day trip last November on the east coast. without winter gear, just layered up. below 45 was not very pleasant. around 40 it turned to painful. But i was wearing a regular leather jacket, normal leather riding gloves with knit cycling gloves under them, and jeans, with a layer of long johns on and two sweaters. if i had the revit pants and jacket i have now, and some winter gloves, I think i would have been ok in a bit colder temps.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #33
Washpa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
As said before low temps are generally not the problem for me with heated gear but moisture is, ice on the road, dampness in the air and frost buildup inside my visor from condensation.
Washpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #34
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,617
As long as your wife is on the back, and willing to continue, the temperature is fine.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #35
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 985
Heated gear....about 15F for 1 hours or less trips. Longer than 1 hour and I like it be >35F

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #36
twoeyes
n00b

Oddometer: 3
winter ride

no more excuses !
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=8000+canadian
twoeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 AM   #37
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Ice is a real risk, but as far as warmth goes, find a gas station, buy a couple of newspapers and a large garbage bag. Stuff half a newspaper down each side of your pants, the other one inside your shirt. Rip holes for head and arms in the garbage bag, put that on, then your jacket back on.

Toasty warm and stays mostly dry ;)

Emergencies only, it takes a couple of showers to get the print off your skin.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #38
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
So Mrs. Greg conned me into taking a 3-4 day trip (motel, not camping) around southern New Mexico. I start from Albuquerque.

Tried to leave yesterday (heading down S 14 to Mtnair for you locals) but I hit clouds and fog in the SE plains about 40 mi from home. It was 22 deg F, and I was FREEZING!! I chickened out and came home (BTW I have pretty good riding gear).

Gonna try again this morning, but I gotta think: "if I had any sense I'd be out in my heated woodshop working on my latest picture frame!"

If I succeed in this trip I'll write up a RR. Just had to complain to somebody.

--Doc
I don't ride if its below 50*F But its west Texas, so with the exception of this year it usually only freezes 3 times a year here. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #39
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
So, what happens if you elect to stay home?

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #40
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
No Heated gear, No screen, no bar muffs, no heated grips oh and no proper shelter and with camping thrown in I'd have to say you are all set for a good time as low down as -26C/-15F, I know I certainly was left wanting more

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853714

stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #41
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
I don't ride if its below 50*F But its west Texas, so with the exception of this year it usually only freezes 3 times a year here. D.
Many years ago I rode across AZ, NM and most of Texas in December. Temp was 25 degrees and I was running on one cylinder, Honda 305 twin. A miserable trip through beautiful country. Didn't make it home to VT on the bike, but I knew I was doomed from the start. I won't leave until the temp is above freezing. I used to, but I value my ability to walk more than my opportunity to ride. You really have to be up for it.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #42
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,129
OK I'm back...

Thanks for all your opinions...amusing as usual.

Well, went ahead and did the 4-day ride leaving a day later, like I said. Had a great time, but hit by a winter storm in NM/AZ. Rode 70 miles @ right around 32 deg at 7,000+ feet w/moderate rain. Not pleasant, but---as usual---fun in retrospect.

Ride Report to start Monday in "Day Trippin' "

--Doc

PS. Sorry but just couldn't make it thru the "Eldon Azman" journal...too hard on the eyes with no paragraphs, etc. I'm sure it's an impressive feat.
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #43
D R
----

Oddometer: 466
I have a good set of heated gear and haven't considered the temperature by itself to be the deciding factor. Weather and road conditions factor into my decision to ride or not ride. The coldest I've gone out riding, for a multi-hour ride has been 12F. I did stop about every hour just to stay safe, but it was an enjoyable ride on a bright, crisp day. I know I did get quite a few odd looks from those in cars. For some reason, I actually prefer cold weather riding days to the hot weather riding days.

So to answer your question, "How cold is too cold to start a trip?" I'm tempted to say: when the oil has congealed to the point it will no longer circulate through the engine.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #44
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Dr Greg , looking forward to that RR in day tripping. Glad you did not freeze any vital parts:)))

adios, gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #45
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,569
about 81 I took off from St. Louis on my beautiful KZ550 at 35F with 45 forcast, with just the quarter faring , a snowmobile suit and some good bates winter gloves. I rode north to Quincy on the river road, and then headed back. Weather was wrong, hit freezing drizzle. Stopped at convenience store to refuel. People were staring, I realized my front side was completely white with the ice. Went in to pay and eat a bit, the gal there looked at me like I was insane. I am used to that. Any how, refueled and fed, I hit the road again, the road was clear, the bridges demanded extra care. Got to my apartment, white again. People could not believe I was not frozen but I was really quite comfortable. My coldest wettest ride ever.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote