Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #16
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Wrist View Post
Canadian version of Harbor Freight called Princess Auto, which should have a store or two in Calgary, has 2 lifts you may find suitable for your use:

1. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/V...Lift/8228215.p

2. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/V...Lift/8133860.p
I use the one from Harbor Freight. It's foot pump, not air, but lifts GS quickly enough. Air over oil is really not required.

Lead Wrist got it right, go to Princess and order one from there. Only reason I went Harbor Freight was I live on the US border and they have big discount sales. Got mine for $300.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
Lime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
If you ride it up there you won't have anywhere to put your feet down and you will at some point fall over. Guaranteed.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
If you ride it up there you won't have anywhere to put your feet down and you will at some point fall over. Guaranteed.
It is certainly worth noting again that riding onto a lift without side extensions (or something equivalent like boards), where you can put your feet down, is not a good idea and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Without extensions, you may have a little room to put your feet down if the bike is perfectly straight up but that's not where you may need to go feet down. Also, you will want to make sure the suface of the table isn't slippery.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 11:37 AM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,429
I've had a air Handy lift for about 6 years. Even if I had the side extensions, which I don't, I'd never consider riding it up. Way too many ways that something could go wrong, both on the way up and the way down. I'm only 5'7" on a good day and I have no problem putting my 1200 GS on it. Or taking it off. As for the Harbor Freight one vs the one you posted, I'd go with the heavier one. There will come a time when you will want to sell it and you'll get most of you money out of it. I have a line of people who are waiting for me to sell them mine. My loss, or cost, for years of use will be minimal.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #20
Sopranos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll need to practice, with a friend first, to push it on, seems to be the safest way.
Sopranos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #21
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,199
FWIW I park a bike on my cheap harbor freight stand. I ride the bike into the stand every time. No issues with feet placement. But... I replaced the wheel vice with a Condor floor stand/wheel chock. I ride the bike into the chock and chock holds it in place until the next ride. If that weren't the case --- if I had to support the bike while dismounting then putting it on the center stand I'd probably wind up with the bike in my lap.

Usually the GS is parked on the lift, but once in a while I let the R69S have a turn

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #22
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 269
I am in awe
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
bobframe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
I got tired of the lift taking up space and the bitch of parking on it.
If you ride every day, putting it on and off the lift, especially when tired or wet just is too risky and pain in the ass.

I cut my floor and put it underground. Now it's even/level with the floor and there is always a bike on it.

Link to the job here if you're interested: http://www.theridecentral.com/forum/...-going-on-here

I've never used my lift so much as I do with it in the ground. Sometimes the neighbors come over just to see it work
I love what you did...very elegant design. One question: Do you miss the lift height you gave up by dropping it down? The reason I ask is that I often use my lift at full height and think I might miss the 6-7" it would take to do what you have done. Still, you did a very nice job recessing the lift.

bobframe screwed with this post 03-02-2014 at 02:28 PM
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,254
Harbor Freight for me:

Less than $300 on sale.

Great for working on bikes too:

JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,191
I too have a Harbor Freight lift and use it for my 1150GS, DR650 and Trail 90 for any maintenance. I never ride the bikes on it. To make it easier with the 1150GS, I take off the Jessie bags and gas tank (takes 3 minutes) before pushing it on to lower the center of gravity and lessen the weight, the others are easy. I am an old guy and like to do it the easy way and not risk it falling over. The lift has saved my back and knees. I wouldn't be without it. FWIW, I have the HF chock and use a Blackjack scissor jack when I have to raise the bike on the lift.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 03-02-2014 at 06:13 PM
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #26
Raaze14
Studly(?) Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I too have a Harbor Freight lift and use it for my 1150GS, DR650 and Trail 90 for any maintenance. I never ride the bikes on it. To make it easier with the 1150GS, I take off the Jessie bags and gas tank (takes 3 minutes) before pushing it on to lower the center of gravity and lessen the weight, the others are easy. I am an old guy and like to do it the easy way and not risk it falling over. The lift has saved my back and knees. I wouldn't be without it. FWIW, I have the HF chock and use a Blackjack scissor jack when I have to raise the bike on the lift.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I had a Ranger lift a few years back that I used with my Harley's, and I would really like a Handy...but the coupon for the HF lift table at $300 is sure tempting...
Raaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #27
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 606
Handy electric, $600 bought on Craigslist. I've had it 3 years. Should have bought one 30 years ago.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #28
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
Handy electric, $600 bought on Craigslist. I've had it 3 years. Should have bought one 30 years ago.

Up here in Canada when the bike has snow on the tires, it means cabin fever has set in and we can`t wait for spring any longer!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #29
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,198
My Handy Lift bought in the mid 70's for San Jose BMW, has been used many thousands of times and donated to me when they converted to 10 new K&L lifts.

Works like a charm.

A great work platform,

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #30
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I love what you did...very elegant design. One question: Do you miss the lift height you gave up by dropping it down? The reason I ask is that I often use my lift at full height and think I might miss the 6-7" it would take to do what you have done. Still, you did a very nice job recessing the lift.
I can't use the full height except on the R90 and Ducati because the other two hit the ceiling or rolled up garage door. I don't miss it at all and actually use the same height I did before. It's about 7" deep but the lift went up 48" if I remember right. I'll try to remember to measure it up tonight.