Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Duct Tape, Superglue, and those blister bandaids…..

I do carry those at all times though. Those blister bandages are amazing! I cut the front of my shin open, right above my shoe, on my mountain bike pedal (maybe enough to warrant stitches), but threw on one of those blister bandaids and was good to do a 4 day backpacking trip wearing high-top hiking boots and only had to change it twice.

I also keep some antibiotic cream, some bigger bandages, a wrap, a few antihistamines, and some pain relievers. It all fits in one little ziplock-sized waterproof bag. Just enough stuff to continue on my ride. If I need anything more than that I should probably seek medical attention.

I've seen the kits you can buy, but they are usually filled with a lot of unnecessary items, super-cheap bandaids that fall off 2 minutes after you put them on, and cost $40 for the same stuff you could buy for $10 at the store.
If its for a KLR, just eliminate the duct tape and super glue. The bikes expendable.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #17
ZukiNoomin
The Dude abides

Oddometer: 284
I carry this:

Tactical Trauma Kit

because it seems like I come across more than my share of these:

I was first on the scene to this crash, and helped extricate the driver.

I am first aid and CPR certified, and I raised three athletic sons, so I know a little about first aid.

ZukiNoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #18
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMedic View Post
As a paramedic going on group rides I have seen all sorts of kits. Everyone assumes I carry a huge kit. The truth is I carry a cell phone and a small kit. Many people over do their kits. A cell phone and telling someone where you are going and when you will be back is probably the best first aid kit you can carry. Everyone's kits are going to be different as where you ride and your personal health issues will also dictate what you carry. Obviously, riding in urban settings on short rides will be different than multi-day riding in back woods settings. Some common items might be the following:

1. Trauma shears. These are a heavy duty set of medical scissors that can cut riding gear off.
2. Maxi-pads or sanitary pads. Forget the trauma dressings. These things were designed to be sterile and absorb massive amounts of blood in a small package. They are the paramedic secret. We all carry them in our personal kits.
3. Bandaging. This is the wrap that is going to keep the dressing (maxi-pad) in place and apply pressure to help stop bleeding. Some folks like to use ACE wraps because they can be applied loosely if necessary or tightly for bandaging or for sprains.
4. Latex/ Vinyl gloves. You need to be able to protect yourself from bloodborne pathogens. Change them out a few times a year. They dry out and go bad. They are also great for keeping your hands clean if you need to do a quick messy repair on your bike. Your sunglasses will work fine for protecting your eyes.
5. Over the counter meds. Benadryl, Immodium, Alleve, Ibuprofen, etc
6. Mole skin for blisters.
7. If you have had anaphylactic reactions then get with your doctor for an epinephrine pen or an epi-pen
8. CPR mask. Don't get the big ones. They make some that are very small and are essentially a filter and a vinyl barrier.
9. Waterless hand cleaner

/
I guess I did good as a non medical person. I did a google search on motorcycle first aid kits and pretty much settled on what is found on your list of stuff, including the maxi pads!!! One thing I did add thats not on your list was a small bottle (maybe 6oz size) of saline solution, same stuff as you use for your contacts. gives you a small amount of flush water for a wound if needed.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 147
I only skip the saline because I flush wounds with the water from my water pack. Anything really bad is going to require antibiotics and/or a tetanus shot anyhow. Like I said though, there is nothing written in stone with how you want to set your kit up. Some people are going to want to carry it for other reasons. If it works for you go with it.