User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,255
Two DR's Mainely seeking clams...

This report is rather late but my dog ate my homework so you'll just have to deal with it.

Garth and I departed Laconia NH mid September for a week of dirt touring in Maine. The original plan was to ride across the northern parts of the state on legal dirt. After much research on the "North Woods" I started to wonder how feasible this would be. There are large tracts of land there where bikes are not welcome. Figuring out beforehand where they begin and end was confusing so in the interest of sleeping in my tent rather than a cell, I created an improvised route.

The route contained segments of the TET, Canuman's NNEAT tracks and whatever else I could cob together to connect them.

You're likely already bored reading this so here's a picture:

8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Garth and I enjoyed the sunshine as we meandered north heading for Mt Washington. Our DR650's are similar, but different. Garth has a Billet rack and a few small Wolfman bags. He travels light carrying not much more than a backpacker. My gear looks a little more like the truck that the Clampets took to Beverly Hills. The hiker parking lots were overflowing. Garth has climbed Mt Washington many times, a few of them being in the winter, solo.

On our way up the Auto Road:

8gv screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 02:09 PM
Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

As we ascended we encountered mist as expected. We also discovered some pretty strange vehicles. It was Alternative Energy Weekend on the mountain. If you can build something strange, climbing Mt Washington with it is apparently a badge of honor. Riding through the mist they appeared quickly in all the wrong places. Some were going slowly and some were stopped catching their breath. With plenty of traffic at our six I didn't stop to take pics.

I found some on the web:

Alternative Energy ATGATT:

8gv screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 02:20 PM
Old 02-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pics of ride up the mountain...

Clear on one side...

Clouds on the other side...

Back and forth, higher and higher...

8gv screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 02:26 PM
Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

You can tell we're almost there, we can't see anything! The clouds deposit a thick mist on our visors so we go with only our sunglasses. The sunglasses load up so they're removed. Great! Now I can sort of see but my eyeballs are frozen...

Really???

Old 02-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

We parked here and headed up...

I wonder why they chain the building down...

Oh...I see...I'll take the mist, you can keep the wind thank you...

Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

At the summit there was a crowd. Most drove up. Some hiked. We were the only two on bikes. There was an unpublished picture taking procedure in use. As folks lined up, the subjects at the top handed their camera to the next in line. After getting a few pics taken the camera is returned and the next in line takes the top spot. It's a good system unless the person behind you sucks at picture taking.

Garth has several pictures like this. It was my first. Trying to warm up my eyeballs, I left my helmet on. Maybe I look like The Stig on Top Gear? Looking at my helmet, our photographer asked me if we had arrived by bike. "No, my momma doesn't let me out of the house without the helmet..."

8gv screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 02:59 PM
Old 02-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Once safely off the mountain we headed for gas and snacks. Parked at the station, we met two couples riding two up on their bikes. They told us of their marathon ride the day before. Thirteen hours in driving rain had them at wit's end. One couple preferred camping, the other liked motels.

I really like camping but thirteen hours in the rain would ave me begging for a motel.

Out of respect, I didn't take their picture. Momma told me never to poke the bear.

Here's a random pic from the ride to keep you awake.

Can anyone tell me which team this hitchhiker likes?

8gv screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 06:52 PM
Old 02-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

We had a little bit of New Hampshire left and were fortunate that the route granted us this...

The sky was getting fugly but this lake still looked nice...

This was a welcome sight with the storm clouds looming...

8gv screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 07:01 PM
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

It would have been more scenic with some sunshine...

This being September, Rangeley Lake State Park was almost deserted so we had our pic of campsites...

After setting up camp we took a chance with the weather and rode into town for dinner at Tall Tales in Rangeley. The fried clams were great. We made it back to the tents with only a few minutes of light rain.

Day one was 207 miles.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

The sun started to join us as we broke camp. It was 38* overnight so it took a few minutes extra and a lot of hot chocolate to get going.

Our site...

As we loaded up, a rider idled up on an ADV-ized BMW. He shut down to chat for a moment. His bike was loaded with gear including fly fishing equipment. It turns out he managed to get twelve hours of rain riding in two days prior. I was happy to be dry.

We found the Park attendant and paid on the way out. We could just as easily have ridden off but on a ride, karma can be a bitch so we didn't.

8gv screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 07:36 PM
Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Maine has lakes. I wish I could tell you which ones these are. Maybe you can tell me...

Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Maine also has wildlife or wild-death in this case. Why are they called "sly foxes" if they keep running out in front of cars?

On to the next post lest you lose your lunch...
Old 02-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

On the subject of critters...
I often turn back for another look at items of interest on our rides. Garth knows I won't fixate on the sights enough to crash. Indtead, I pull over, he pulls up and we say in unison "Did you see that?" If the item is still there, we'll go see it again and maybe take a picture.

That fox was pretty messed up and compelled speculation. How much of that was caused by vehicular contact and how much was done by scavengers?

I know, it's grotesque and I'm a sicko for posting it...here's a pic to cleanse your palate. On a men's room door I saw this...

Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

We crossed a bridge and found a power plant...

Somewhere around here we came to our first routing issue. Lake Rd. had a big ass sign saying "PRIVATE" and "THE ROAD IS PRIVATE TOO."

My reroute sucked and resulted in us missing quite a few miles of dirt roads to get back on track.