Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #76
1050rat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Why not? You'll get better cooler air flow to the air box... I ditched mine the first winter maintenance that i got my bike.

Good post for bringing this forward.
+1 suffered from a broken ignition wire last year due to this problem but only decided to ditch the stock covers altogether earlier today. My seat of the pants dyno has the bike pulling stronger than ever which I put down to increased air flow into the CPR filter.

Just do it !

Cheers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
1050rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #77
Elusion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Just looked at mine today.
It wasn't worn through yet (2800miles on a 2013) but it was definitely pinched. I just loosened the cover (Man! that screw was in tight) which gave it a lot more play.
I'm going to keep my eye on it and see if it worsens.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #78
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
I took a closer look at the wires on my 2011 over the weekend. I removed the right side fairing to get to the cover/wires. Although the wires were in contact with the plastic piece, they didn't have any visible damage.

The wires on my bike were not zip-tied to the frame like some others on this thread. I guess it's possible that my wires weren't damaged because they were free to move a little more than the zip-tied bikes.

The wires that go into the white plug are very thin. It doesn't seem like they could stand much abuse, so that's another thing to worry about I guess.

I removed the left side cover and discovered that it was molded with a cut-out to allow room for the cables that are routed around the steering head on that side. I can't imagine why they didn't make the right side cover the same way. Would have probably prevented a lot of headaches.

I considered just leaving the covers off, but they probably do provide some protection from the elements to that part of the bike.

I trimmed the right side cover with a small saw and a Dremel tool. I smoothed out the edges where I trimmed. I also put a thin strip of duct tape over the edge just to be sure the wires wouldn't be in contact with a sharp edge.

Buttoned everything up and went for a ride.

vspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #79
zeropoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
I took a closer look at the wires on my 2011 over the weekend. I removed the right side fairing to get to the cover/wires. Although the wires were in contact with the plastic piece, they didn't have any visible damage.

The wires on my bike were not zip-tied to the frame like some others on this thread. I guess it's possible that my wires weren't damaged because they were free to move a little more than the zip-tied bikes.

The wires that go into the white plug are very thin. It doesn't seem like they could stand much abuse, so that's another thing to worry about I guess.

I removed the left side cover and discovered that it was molded with a cut-out to allow room for the cables that are routed around the steering head on that side. I can't imagine why they didn't make the right side cover the same way. Would have probably prevented a lot of headaches.

I considered just leaving the covers off, but they probably do provide some protection from the elements to that part of the bike.

I trimmed the right side cover with a small saw and a Dremel tool. I smoothed out the edges where I trimmed. I also put a thin strip of duct tape over the edge just to be sure the wires wouldn't be in contact with a sharp edge.

Buttoned everything up and went for a ride.

Did you open the sheath up to check the wires inside ? It seems that at least one person in this thread found no damage to the sheath but the wires inside had failed due to kinking.

Quote: tacosupreme on page 2

"I took the covers off without removing any body work. Just lock the steering to the left. The screw is the same size as the small torx that hold the glove box on. My sheathing wasn't broken, but the wires were. Unplug the wires and carefully slit the sheathing back and you will see where the wires are pinched. Don't assume your wires are ok, look at them."
Old 03-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #80
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropoint View Post
Did you open the sheath up to check the wires inside ? It seems that at least one person in this thread found no damage to the sheath but the wires inside had failed due to kinking.

I considered cutting the sheath. That's certainly a necessary step to properly inspect the wires. I didn't do it because the wires didn't look like they had been pinched or bent or damaged at all really and honestly, I was afraid of accidently damaging the wires while cutting the sheath. It would be easy enough for an idiot like me to do.

I've noticed in some of the photos of other bikes that the wires looked like they were routed through the upper right corner of the plastic piece. Mine were routed through the lower right corner. In the photos it looks like the upper routing causes more severe binding/pinching than the lower route.
vspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #81
Trail Joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I checked mine yesterday and after pulling back the sheathing found one wire was pinched but no actual damage. This is on 2013 Baja with 4000 miles. Trimmed the plastic and now it moves freely. Thanks for the tip to check this as I don't know how long it would have lasted.
Trail Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #82
2kool2be4gotten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Two potential points of failure....

From what i've see there are two possible failure points:

1) where the black cover contacts the frame (wires pinched)
2) where the bundled wires bend when the bars are turned (wires fatigued)

My '12 Adv did not show any sign or wear at the black cover / frame - however, the wires were 'kinked' to the point of fatigue where the bundle made the 90 degree turn under the triple clamp.

Be sure and check both locations for signs of wear.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #83
05magmn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I checked my 2013 baja last week when I picked it up! The wires and plastic gaurd where loose enough for the wires to move freely! No pinching!
05magmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #84
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Well, I didn't know about this thread. At 9000 miles finally, my '13 990 started cutting out as I left my driveway for a 300 mile ride.

Inspected today, found the orange wire roached, repaired and opened up the right plastic piece a bit. Problem solved but will be ordering a new switch harness.

I did this while ONLY removing both upper fairings.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #85
minerbill
Emits Methane

Oddometer: 280
I had the upper fairings off while installing some bar risers and was able to trim the offending piece. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to roll the offending piece out of the way and cut it off with some tin snips. Not pretty but it got the job done and you can't see it anyway. The wires move freely now.
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #86
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,150
yup I just repaired the wire flex at the mount for the headlight . Every hard left with the forks rubs the harness.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #87
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
A friend bought a 2006 990 Adventure with about 15 000 km on it and sure ignition lock pinched on that one also.

Helped him look it over when purchasing it.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #88
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool2be4gotten View Post
From what i've see there are two possible failure points:

1) where the black cover contacts the frame (wires pinched)
2) where the bundled wires bend when the bars are turned (wires fatigued)

My '12 Adv did not show any sign or wear at the black cover / frame - however, the wires were 'kinked' to the point of fatigue where the bundle made the 90 degree turn under the triple clamp.

Be sure and check both locations for signs of wear.
This is exactly what I had mine fail yesterday. Broken wire just below the ignition switch. Early symptom was sporadic dying when I was maneuvering the bike in close quarters. Yesterday it finally opened completely. I soldered a connection & bound everything in plastic wire loom.

While I was there, I cut a corner off the plastic cover to allow the wires room to go into the frame. I recall being puzzled over this when I first got the bike and tore it down.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #89
up2nogood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Had same issue. Wires just snapped at the base of the ignition switch. Have routed a longer set of wires and looped them so the wires don't work harden and snap again.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #90
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
Thanks to this thread I found mine pinched the other day...no apparent damage. My reason for posting is that I didn't have time to remove my Safari to do a nice job of fixing it. 2 min with a sharp wood chisel opened up the hole. I will tidy it at my next valve service. No need to put this off and the kink does look bad enough to eventually cause issues in all bikes with a fixed loom and these plastic skirts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk