ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Bay Area to Canada suggested stops

I plan on riding 2up with the girlfriend to Canada In August. We will have max 4 days to go up and I will be coming back alone taking 3-4 days also. We will be bringing camping gear if i can find a way to pack it all nicely!

i want to take highway 1 as far up as possible because i have heard it's absolutely beautiful and a must do! Next thing I was advised to do/see was the San Juan Islands just north of Washington. Other than that, I don't really know what else could be worth see either on the way there or coming back. I don't really have a plan coming back other than hopefully Usal Rd.

I will be on a 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC.

Thanks in advance!

Found a couple things so far:
For Canada Trip
-San Juan Islands
-Deception Pass
-Mt St Helens
-Coo’s Bay
-Redwoods National Park

Coming Back
-Crater Lake
-Lassen Volcano

y0y02369 screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 04:09 PM
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,036
Olympic National Park is worthy of seeing. We (me and SO) have camped at Sol Duc campground and it was a nice campground. We got lucky with the weather and it was sunny. Head up to Hurricane Ridge for views and more solitude. Heart'O' The Hills campground is supposed to be nice, too, but it looks like it's closed.
http://www.nps.gov/olym/index.htm

We have also taken the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Victoria is kinda fun to visit; it's a nice city and the Butchart Gardens are quite impressive.
http://www.butchartgardens.com/

Continue up Vancouver Island and ride out to Tofino on the western side of the island. I haven't been there but it's supposed to be a beautiful ride.

BTW, a reasonably inexpensive place to stay in Victoria is Paul's Motor Inn. It's not elegant, but it's a comfortable place to stay and it's within walking distance to restaurants, shops, and the harbor:
http://www.hotelsone.com/victoria-ho...FVFo7Aod1EsAlw
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Eyes Shut! I was definitely planning on checking out Victoria as advised so now it's nice to have a second vote for that!

Thanks for the hotel suggestion too! I am really not in need of anything fancy anyway so the cheaper the better!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Thanks Eyes Shut! I was definitely planning on checking out Victoria as advised so now it's nice to have a second vote for that!

Thanks for the hotel suggestion too! I am really not in need of anything fancy anyway so the cheaper the better!
My thoughts were that if your girlfriend is with you, and if you've been mainly camping, she might enjoy hoteling it in Victoria, and visiting Victoria.

Also, yes, Lassen and Crater Lake are highly recommended! Not only are the roads great, but the parks are really nice. Lassen doesn't get as many visitors as many of the national parks, which is nice.

Another thing I always recommend: Get a Parks Pass. One fee ($80) and it covers admission to all parks and any other federal lands that have an entrance fee. Doesn't pay for the camping, though.

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,087
For your first stop, you could stay at the Oceanside Inn and Suites in Fort Bragg. Unlike the name suggests, it is a very basic motel at around $60, and within walking distance of the North Coast Brewery.

I hope all is going well with you guys. We haven't talked since Oktoberfest.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Yo,

Here is my ride report from the Bay Area to Oregon and back.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32240

Do you have your route decided already? Where will you stay?

Places to see going up PCH and 101 up into Oregon:

Fort Bragg - North Coast Brewery
Leggett - Drive Thru Tree
Fortuna - Eel River Brewery
Phillipsville - Avenue of the Giants (This is a 26-mile route through the redwoods that parallels 101)

Redwood National Park (Visitors Center, Scenic Byway, camping)
Trees of Mystery (See Paul & Babe)
Crescent City - Lighthouse, Stay at Curly Redwood Lodge

Bandon OR - Old Town Bandon (Cranberry Sweets!, Lighthouse)
Coos Bay - Shore Acres State Park on the coast
Reedsport - Umpqua Lighthouse
Florence - Heceta Head Lighthouse
Tillamook - Tillamook Cheese Factory (Ice Cream!)

Things to be aware of...

PCH from Fort Bragg to Leggett is a WILD ride and may be a bit much to do two up and loaded on the 800XC, especially for your passenger. Allow some extra time for this section. I remember talking to some guy on a Harley that complained about how much work it was to ride that section. There is a lot of back and forth. I of course had a blast on my RT but I did it early in the AM and did not have a passenger. The RT likes to fall into the lines where the 800XC takes a little more coaxing.

Oregon in August will most likely be foggy and chilly on the coast and hot inland.

I'll add some more later...

vintagebob screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 02:25 PM
vintagebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post

PCH from Fort Bragg to Leggett is a WILD ride and may be a bit much to do two up and loaded on the 800XC, especially for your passenger. Allow some extra time for this section. I remember talking to some guy on a Harley that complained about how much work it was to ride that section. There is a lot of back and forth. I of course had a blast on my RT but I did early in the AM and did not have a passenger. The RT likes to fall into the lines where the 800XC takes a little more coaxing.
We have ridden this section two-up and loaded on our R1200GS several times, and it's one of my very favorite sections of Hiway 1 (and I'm the passenger). So it depends on your bike, your passenger, and how you feel about tight twisty roads. I say, it's not a section to miss!
Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:

Found a couple things so far:
For Canada Trip
-San Juan Islands
-Deception Pass
-Mt St Helens
-Coo’s Bay
-Redwoods National Park

Coming Back
-Crater Lake
-Lassen Volcano

Coos Bay? At least it will make your other stops seem that much nicer.

I have a fever, and the only prescription is more moto.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

High Country Herb
Hey! How've you guys been? It has certainly been a long time!

Thanks for the suggestion! Certainly seems possible but it depends when we leave the bay. I would ideally like to go a little more north and cover more ground in the first couple days to enjoy more time in Washington and Victoria. Fort Bragg is close enough to home that i can make an overnighter out of it you know?

vintagebob

Great RR! That makes even more excited now!

Going up i planned just taking the coast all the way up through Victoria, and then a ferry over the Vancouver. I am thinking of staying either in Eureka or the redwoods national park for the first night if we can get a good, early start. I'd really like to get to Victoria by the third day to give us most of the fourth to enjoy the San Juan Islands.

Eyes Shut
Yeah I know what you mean. I have a fantastic passenger and I'd say i'm a good rider so it should be more fun than scary. I will definitely being slower if it's foggy and wet though.. let's hope that's not the case!

Been to Crater lake but never lassen so i will make sure to stop by both!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
High Country Herb

vintagebob

Great RR! That makes even more excited now!

Going up i planned just taking the coast all the way up through Victoria, and then a ferry over the Vancouver. I am thinking of staying either in Eureka or the redwoods national park for the first night if we can get a good, early start. I'd really like to get to Victoria by the third day to give us most of the fourth to enjoy the San Juan Islands.

Been to Crater lake but never lassen so i will make sure to stop by both!
When you say that you want to make it to Victoria by the third day are you talking about taking the ferry out of Port Angeles to Victoria on Vancouver Island? Victoria is very nice. Don't miss the Butchart Gardens!

I love Olympic National Park. If you end up there try to catch a meal at Lake Crescent Lodge. You can sit in the veranda area and order food there while you view the lake. Very relaxing!!

I have made the "Candy Run" from San Jose to Bandon OR many, many times.

Here is the "Candy Run". You saw part of it in the Ride Report.

Sprint up to Napa early in the AM
Stop at Bouchon Bakery
Stop at Dean & Deluca for picnic stuff if you don't want to eat at Eel River
Take 128 out of Calistoga and enjoy the vineyards and some curves
Catch US-101N
Hop off on the Avenue of the Giants
Find the Garden Club Grove and walk down to the river to skip some rocks
Stop at the visitor center for a break
Get back on US-101 to Fortuna
Stop at the Eel River Brewery for lunch
head up into Redwood National Park
Stop at the Visitor Center and walk along the beach for a bit.
Take the scenic byway
Stop at Trees of Mystery for some popcorn
Spend the night at the Curley Redwood Lodge.
Catch breakfast at Matties Pancake House right before Brookings
Stop in Old Town Bandon to get some cranberry candy (the mission)
continue on to Shore Acres Park near Coos Bay. There is a cutoff route.
Head back home (You would skip this part)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post

Spend the night at the Curley Redwood Lodge.
+ 1 Another vote for Curly Redwood Lodge. It's ADV Rider approved!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #12
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well ideally yeah I'd like to make it to the island, inducing ferry on the third night. We need to be in Vancouver not too late on the fourth day. So either be on Victoria then, or take the first ferry out so we can see Victoria and the San Juan islands. I'd like to spend more time up north since that's harder to get to than the California and lower Oregon stuff.

Thanks for the detailed route! How long does that take you usually? Overnighter?

What stretches of the PCH will be covered in less time due to twisties and stuff as opposed to the more open road? I'm trying to plan the mileage per day and as of now the first day is 340 miles but 7hours... Is that realistic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #13
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Going up the coast on US-101 (No PCH), including the west side of the Olympics, is about 1000 miles to Port Angeles WA. That's about 20 hours of riding

It is 400 miles to Crescent City on the US-101 route which is a good day. I usually try to keep my days to 300 miles so that I have time to explore but I will often plan a longer day on the first and last day of a trip.

That means you need to cover 600 more miles in two days and still catch the ferry.

The ferry schedule in August out of Port Angeles is 8:15, 12:45 & 5:20 (sometimes 9:30 PM). You need to be at the gate 60 minutes before departure with your vehicle. So shoot for an arrival in Port Angeles of around 4PM on the third day?

Maybe plan two 400 mile days and opt for 200 miles on the third day along with the ferry ride?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok yeah that sounds like a good first day! I'd like to just get miles behind us for the first day. I would like to stop by Redwoods National Park just for a quick stroll and break. Then head up a bit more before calling it a day. Two 400 mile days with some visiting definitely seems doable!

On the last day, 200 miles would be easily doable. If we can get there earlier enough to visit the city and take the 5:20 ferry, that would be ideal! That way we can spend the evening walking around Victoria.

Anyone done avenue of Giants? It worth doing the whole stretch of it or should we cut out after a while?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

I would just do the entire length which is 31 miles.