ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Rol OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Sportbikes on Death Valley dirt roads?

Hi folks, I need some advice. My boyfriend and I are planning a Death Valley trip for March, and we would love to include some dirt roads in our route. The wrinkle is that we are doing the trip on sportbikes. We ride dirt on our unplated dirtbikes, and so are not total dirt noobs. I think we would do fine on roads that are fire road-ish - no deep sand, no big rocks, and nothing that requires too much clearance...

What do you think? Could we do Titus Canyon, or Greenwater Valley, or Big Pine Road? Thanks very much for your input.
Rol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol View Post
Hi folks, I need some advice. My boyfriend and I are planning a Death Valley trip for March, and we would love to include some dirt roads in our route. The wrinkle is that we are doing the trip on sportbikes. We ride dirt on our unplated dirtbikes, and so are not total dirt noobs. I think we would do fine on roads that are fire road-ish - no deep sand, no big rocks, and nothing that requires too much clearance...

What do you think? Could we do Titus Canyon, or Greenwater Valley, or Big Pine Road? Thanks very much for your input.
I haven't done Big Pine Rd yet, but there is no way I would take a sportbike on Titus or Greenwater. I did them this last December, and while I believe your bikes would make it, they would not get through without some damage to the lower fairings and possibly exhaust header pipes.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,054
Titus with no problems on a sport bike, unless it isn't graded after this weekend's rain.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,004
It all depends on the condition of the roads. Greenwater Valley can have a water crossing depending on the recent rainfall. The start of Titus is pretty loose gravel, not difficult but you're going to chew up your lower fairing there. Then there's the decent after red pass. That can be tough at times depending on recent weather and road conditions. We should be getting some decent rain in DV this weekend. West Side road might be OK on a sport bike. Artists loop might be OK also. 20 Mule Team Canyon would be OK too.
If you want to get into some of the back country roads you could always rent a Jeep in the park. it could be cheaper than the potential repairs to your bike.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,313
I'm always the guy that says go for it, and I would say don't do it in Death Valley.

I took my XL600 dual sport, and still struggled with sand and gravel in places. Titus Canyon was one of them.

There is still a lot to see from the good roads.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Calling Antihero, can Antihero come to the thread please.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Falconfixer71
I like bikes.

Oddometer: 307
I rode through Titus canyon a month ago with some other inmates, stopped for a break at the end of the canyon. Two minutes later two guys on sport bikes were right behind us coming out of Titus, one on an Aprilia and the other on an S1000RR BMW. They seemed fine. Didn't even stop to check bikes for any possible damage.
Falconfixer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
I just shake my head in wonder.......................

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
All doable . . .

. . . slow going at times to prevent damage but doable. I drove a BMW 3 series through Titus canyon. Should have seen the looks on the jeep drivers faces parked at the end of the slot canyon.
ColdC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
IMHO: Deep sand and lose gravel might be a problem... 'normal' rocks, likely no big deal.

Watch your fuel, and your drinking water.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Mike 54 has given some good advice. Some suggestions, just to test yours and the bikes abilities are short in and out roads such as the ones to Natural Bridges, Borax mill rd, Mosaic canyon, Salt creek, and the road to the original Stove Pipe Wells. Westside road may be doable.

Unless you have the latest intel, whether you can do it depends on when and if they have been graded. How much travel on them has occurred since and what weather event has happened since.

The online Park road condition is not updated daily.

I have ridden Titus when it fairly easy and when the road in has been mostly sand and road out deep gravel, thanks to the Park service. It is a one way road, once started you are committed.

I don't think they have repaired the road to Scotty's Castle yet, that will give you taste of gravel.

itsatdm screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 09:34 AM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,209
Artist loop is all paved now. Rode it on my scooter in January... some dirt across the road but pretty easy.

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Kenny M.
Tepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Two weeks ago Titus was in good condition, but as was noted conditions can change daily. Good tires and a slow pace should be no problem. Titus is the E ticket ride in Death Valley. Scenery, geology, wildlife, Petroglyphs. It has it all. Don't ask the Rangers. Talk to visitors who have been through there recently.
74 Norton Commando
10 KLX250s
Kenny M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #14
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,651
One of the problems in DV and other dirt roads is washboard. West Side Rd. is 40 miles of it. It's rough enough on a dual sport with some suspension. Are you willing to do that with the limited suspension of a sport bike? It will not only be hard on you but also hard on the bikes.

Maybe it's time to pick up a couple of cheap dual sports..........

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
DanOGrande
vorn and confused

Oddometer: 166
I say go for it. Especially Titus Canyon and all the little loops around Furnace Creek. I would stay away from Racetrack Road. There's imbedded, sharp volcanic rocks there that wouldn't be good for sportbike tires. Plus it's really rough and washboardy. And I wouldn't attempt to get into Stripped Butte Valley via Cold Springs Rd. There's big rocks there that could cause faring issues.
DanOGrande is offline   Reply With Quote