Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #16
kezzajohnson OP
kezza

Oddometer: 1,242
Paj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano85 View Post
Hey guys, just trying to order jets from show and go - apparently there are two types of PAJ, does anyone have a part no handy? Cheers
They have 2 different styles of PAJ.

One is 8.5mm long.

The other is 13mm long.

I am assuming that you don't have your carby yet in order to remove the PAJ and measure it but if it is an OEM FCR or FCR MX, then the 13mm long one is the one you need.

I just asked for the 13mm long one in the size I wanted, which in my case was the 85 because that's all they had in stock. The part number for that is
N424-330-085 (according to their receipt), so I would imagine that you would just change the -085 at the end to -075 if that's the size you are after, or just ask for a 75 Pilot Air Jet 13mm long.

They told me at the time that 80 was the smallest they list, so I would be surprised if they come up with something different.

Show and Go website.http://www.showandgo.com.au/ Scroll down home page and look for Sudco catalogue which you can download. Good read and very comprehensive but has everything in there including exploded views of the carby etc.

Let us know how you go.

My Vaccum release plate arrived from the States today. Just 2 weeks after I ordered it. Looks pretty good too. Pretty happy with that considering the postage was only $8.80 Australian. I've waited longer for parts ordered in Australia.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."

kezzajohnson screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 02:12 AM Reason: adjust
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
Dano85
Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 26
Yep spot on Kezza - got the carb today and checked the PAJ and it was 13mm.

I'll send them an email and see what I come up with and let you know.
Dano85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #18
kezzajohnson OP
kezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano85 View Post
Yep spot on Kezza - got the carb today and checked the PAJ and it was 13mm.

I'll send them an email and see what I come up with and let you know.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
I thought I'd add this link here:
http://husaberg.org/wiki/index.php?t..._-_Carburation

and copy this table:

PJ 35

PAJ 45 55 60 65 75 85 90 95 100 105 110 120 125 130 135 140 145 150 155
Adj PAJ Number
of turns
1/4 3/8
1/2 5/8 3/4
7/8 1
1 1/8 1 1/4 1 1/2 1 3/4 2 2 1/4 2 1/2 2 3/4 3

The content of the above link was largely compiled by Taffy and was where I started when I fitted an FCR on my FE501.

Its why I wasn't too concerned about not having a #100 PAJ when I first set up my DR's FCR using mostly MXRob's specs. MXRob specs a #100.

In the pic above, left to right is an adjustable PAJ, a needle valve and spring, a #100 PAJ from an FCR MX and on the right, 5 PAJs the same bigger physical size as the adjustable one from earlier carbs like that of a DRZ400E, and sent to me in error. I was after the small ones, like these and copied from the Sudco catalogue, but only down to #80:

Fuel
I haven't found my DR fussy at all, having run it on Opal, 91, 95 and 98. It does though seem to feel just that bit sweeter on 95, but maybe its a placebo effect, dunno. No ethanol blends for me if at all possible. At my local servo they have abandoned 95 in favour of 98, so I go 50/50 91 and 98 which seems to have the same feel as 95, and I'm pretty sure its a few percent more economical on 95 or the blend than 91 or 98 too.

Remember that octane is about the speed at which the fuel burns, not about more energy, or being 'cleaner'. Higher octanes burn slower to allow for higher compressions. 98 in the DR probably needs the timing to be retarded to get any value, or the compression bumped.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Note also that we use RON here in Oz, in the US its different. I thought it was MON, but the above link says its AKI, an average of MON and RON.

BergDonk screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 04:08 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #20
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
PAJ sizing

The above table for PJ to PAJ sizing is a good reference but a functioning ACV muddies the water a bit.

The PAJ sizing is probably more important than the PJ size as it controls the shape of the fuel curve.
For example, I've tested a 105, 85, 73 PAJ's all with a 40 PJ. All combos produce the same AFR (once the fuel screw is adjusted correctly) at idle but vary a lot in off idle/trailing throttle. A smaller PAJ makes the top of the curve richer with a lesser effect at idle. You can't richen the fuel screw to acheive the same thing as it will be too rich at idle if you do. It's easy to confuse this area of throttle opening with the needle root dia as they overlap quite a bit.

For reference, the 73 PAJ I'm using is only a 73 as it's been soldered and redrilled. I was aiming for a 70 but ended up a little oversize.

On the DR I just use 91 unleaded and don't get any detonation under the worst of conditions. I have tried 95 a few times and don't notice any difference in fuel economy or performance.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #21
kezzajohnson OP
kezza

Vaccum release plate

Installed the new vaccum release plate and seal on the weekend.

Fits well and works perfectly. No noticeable difference to the OEM job. I am going to monitor the wear rate to establish whether (and when) I need to get a spare to keep handy but I suspect and would hope it will last well beyond that of the OEM one.

Above plate was from here and was in my mailbox exactly 14 days after I ordered it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271403088616...U:1120&vxp=mtr

And the seal for it was from here:

http://www.showandgo.com.au/

My bike is now running the best it ever has. Incredibly smooth and the power delivery is just awesome from right down low. What used to feel like lugging the bike in top gear at town speeds (60-80km/h) with road gearing is now just perfect and I am not having to chop up and down gears all the time. At 100ks an hour and beyond, it just wants to keep pulling further than what I am game to go because of the 'law'.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #22
kezzajohnson OP
kezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
Looks like you beat me to it Kezza !

And an installed pic too. I like to put filters on the drain/vent hoses - stops the dust getting in.
Hey Steve,

Where do you source your filters from ? (both fuel filter and the ones on vent hoses). I am having trouble finding anything suitable but what you have looks great.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #23
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
Hey Steve,

Where do you source your filters from ? (both fuel filter and the ones on vent hoses). I am having trouble finding anything suitable but what you have looks great.
Hi Kezza,

Vent filters are Ryco Z675S from memory. They are 3/16" barbs and available from Repco, Bursons or similar.
The fuel ones are much harder to get in 5/16". That one came from the bike shop for some rediculous price I can't recall now - have a look on ebay. Not a lot of room to play with unfortunately, allthough there is much more room on the new bike with the Acerbis than the old bike with the IMS tank. The Acerbis petcock sits much further forward.

Heres a pic from the old bike with the IMS. I bought some right angle filters with a ProCycle order. Turned out they are only 1/4" filters, so I glued some nylon air line over the barbs to make it work with 5/16" hose. Wasn't a pretty set up but it worked ok.

Last tank full averaged 24.2 klms/ltr with a good mix of riding. Pretty happy with that given I don't ride to save fuel at all !
Old 03-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #24
kezzajohnson OP
kezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
Hi Kezza,

Vent filters are Ryco Z675S from memory. They are 3/16" barbs and available from Repco, Bursons or similar.
The fuel ones are much harder to get in 5/16". That one came from the bike shop for some rediculous price I can't recall now - have a look on ebay. Not a lot of room to play with unfortunately, allthough there is much more room on the new bike with the Acerbis than the old bike with the IMS tank. The Acerbis petcock sits much further forward.

Last tank full averaged 24.2 klms/ltr with a good mix of riding. Pretty happy with that given I don't ride to save fuel at all !
Cheers Steve. I'll have a look see...

That's good economy alright. Go the FCR !!!

I like what you've done to your countershaft sprocket cover on that bike.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #25
Dano85
Dual Sport Rider

.................................................. ................
Old 04-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #26
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,328
I just purchased a 39mm FCR for my XR600R, this is all good background reading. Thanks fellers, keep it coming.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #27
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I just purchased a 39mm FCR for my XR600R, this is all good background reading. Thanks fellers, keep it coming.
I have 4 on the bench ATM, so plenty of jets, needles and spares. Bring it up the hill and we'll have a play if you want. I tolerate Hondas, especially XRs.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #28
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I have 4 on the bench ATM, so plenty of jets, needles and spares. Bring it up the hill and we'll have a play if you want. I tolerate Hondas, especially XRs.
Sweet. Thanks bloke, I'm just waiting for the postie to deliver it, prolly later in the week.

And yes, XR's are most tolerable.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #29
Dano85
Dual Sport Rider

Sweeeeet

Apologies for my previous post; i finally had the fcr installed and was left speechless. Bloody good fun!! My jetting ended up being identical to kezza with:

155 main jet
40 pilot jet
85 pilot air jet
85 starter jet
35 leak jet
NCVT needle on 2.5
Fuel screw 2.25 turns out (R&D as suggested)

I ended up thinking better of installing myself and got the Dalby Moto crew to install it and get it running spot on. Cant rate their service highly enough.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #30
Dano85
Dual Sport Rider

Quick noob question - with my 30L safari tank fitted do i need to turn the fuel tap off now or able to leave it on when the bike is not in use?