User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
elvisabeth OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Destination: Terlingua, Texas

The first thing I did was check with my mechanic to ask if my bike would make it. Yes. That's a good thing, because I want to work with what I have.

Next, I am going to read, "Breaking the Limit: One Woman's Journey through North America" by Karen Lawson. Maybe I'll be inspired. I dunno ... she and I ride very different bikes.

I have a brother who lives in Presidio, TX. I haven't seen in over a dozen years, so visiting him is part of the plan. Riding through Bend Bend Nat'l park is also on the agenda.

Wanting to avoid the interstate, it looks like about 2000 miles, one way. A long, hot ride, to be sure.

Can you offer any advice about where I should request the best motorcycle route for this plan? What gadgets (e.g. GPS) would you recommend as a wise investment?

I want to rely on tent camping and hostels, and an occasional motel if necessary. Do you have advice on how to obtain information for motorcycle friendly campsites/lodging?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Sounds like a fun trip. I was in the Big Bend area a couple months ago. It will be very hot, so plan accordingly. Make sure you ride the road between Presidio and Terlingua a couple times. Probably the best stretch of road in all of Texas.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Terlingua Camping

When I was there in Feb 2010, I camped at the Boathouse Bar in Terlingua.... they have a little campground right near the bar with tents already set up on platforms.

I think it was only about $10 a night, but I could be wrong... primitive showers were available as were toilets.

A strong wind came through and knocked the power out for the area, but I had a tiny battery powered lantern - took it into the bar, it lent a real old timey atmosphere to the situation. Some guys had guitars and other instruments - great music sing-a-long jam session.... kinda sad to see the power some back on.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,668
I think the Boathouse is a fly infested dump. At least that was the case two years ago. I've been back to Terlingua a couple of times since then, but not to the Boathouse.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Yeah, the Boathouse definitely has 'character'!

But it beat the heck out of that 'campground' down at the corner that was $25 for a 12x50 flat piece of dirt next to all the motor-homes.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,106
Forget camping

Have three too many beers at La Kiva, and call it a night at Chisos Mining Co. motel. That place is straight out of the '50s.

Shoo the hangover buzz away with a nice chorizo infused omlette and strong coffee at the Chili Pepper Cafe the next morning.

There - your perfect Terlingua visit
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

+1
Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
When I was there in Feb 2010, I camped at the Boathouse Bar in Terlingua.... they have a little campground right near the bar with tents already set up on platforms.

I think it was only about $10 a night, but I could be wrong... primitive showers were available as were toilets.
I stayed at the Boathouse, but it was free when I was there.

Signed my name to the canoe.

But my favorite stop was the Starlight Theatre.

If you've got a free day, I recommend a night at Chinati Hot Springs. For camping it's $15 a night or so. The caretaker did a load of laundry for me for free. When I was there, I was the only guest.

It has an amazing kitchen, just be sure to bring your own food and drinks, since none are available. This would be a great place for an ADV campout.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Voni
RED rider

Oddometer: 31
Though we live just north of Terlingua for 8 months of the year, we're on the road right now.

You might consider the Cowhead Ranch, our neighbor, for overnight accomodations. Cowboy Chris has a bunkhouse so you don't even have to set up a tent. $10 a night last I checked. And he may even make you a fresh cowboy breakfast.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ine_Texas.html

Rustic, but not to be missed!

And yes, you'll love the River Road FM170 from Terlingua to Presidio! Bring and drink lots of water this time of year. It's HOT. Or better yet, stop by in the fall.

Wish we were there to show you around. Definitely the Starlight in the Ghost Town is a must do. Th Boathouse has new management and is another fun spot. as is La Kiva!

Our sometimes weekly newletter tells what else is going on:
http://www.drdougs.com/moon.html

Voni
sMiling
Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Living in Texas I wouldn't plan on camping out from june to sept unless you really don't mind the heat. I'm sort of used to it and can deal with it all day but it really gets to me trying to sleep when it is too hot. Eventually you adjust but it can make for a crappy visit until that happens.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
Voni
RED rider

Oddometer: 31
In that case, I'd recommend one of Cowboy Chris' airconditioned cabins!

Voni
sMiling
Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
My wife and I rode to Texas from NY last May and it was very hot, I don't think we had a day below 90 once we got thru PA. We brought our camping gear but after riding all day we really needed the ac of a motel. If you don't have one buy a camel back it makes a huge difference on those hot days. We would fill ours with ice in the morning and use them throughout the day. That was my wifes first big trip on her own bike and it was a lot of fun. On the return we enjoyed the Natchez Trace federal highway through Mississippi up into Nashville, not a cop in sight and shaded on a hot day. Have fun!
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
Camping that time of year in Big Bend is not alot of fun. Spend the money and find a air conditioned place. Or camp up at Chisos Basin which is alot higher than the rest of BB and it will be cooler at night. They also have really cool cabins and lodging there. Starlight Theatre is a must do as is La Kiva. Lodging at Ft. Davis State Park is a place called Indian lodge and very cool. Nice pool there. You will like that. ALOT. Hotel Limpia is nice with a pool also.

Also for cooling off try Balmorea State Park about 35 miles north of Ft. Davis. A natural spring with clear cool water. They have cabins. And yes the River Road is a must do but it will be Extremely HOT that time of year. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. And DO NOT go anywhere without extra water. You break down without it and you are done. Trust me on this.

I love riding BB but I never do it in summer. You will see why. Regardless, have safe trip and wet your shirt for evaporative cooling, it will help.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

FotoTex is absolutely right ! Listen and don't learn the hard way. The desert doesn't forgive fools.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
elvisabeth OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Replies!

Thank you for all the replies! I just returned from a four day reconnaissance trip of sorts, and had no idea that anyone had even read my post.

What I'm doing now is taking small motorcycle camping trips to get a feel for what it is like to be on the road for consecutive days. The past four days and three nights were great! I spent hours and hours in the saddle riding twisty roads.

But I do have a gripe, and it's a big one considering my destination. On the return trip late this afternoon through the early evening -- it was in the upper 90's and I was driving into an unrelenting sun in a cloudless sky. It was nearly unbearable! Now, I learned to ride a motorcycle in the New Mexico desert, and heat has never been an issue for me. But tonight at 7pm with over an hour until sunset, I nearly pulled over to wait until the temperature dropped.

I'm back at the house for a couple of days to take care of business, and then I will return to the road again -- more motorcycle camping. I am grateful for all the advice and your comments. I don't even know how to navigate this website yet, so I appreciate your patience and kind consideration, all the way around.