User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Route 66

I'm planning to do a Route 66 trip soon,and would like to have a GPS route.I rode about 1/3 of it years ago.It was a tough route.Not sure if you are on the right road or not,and sure wasted a lot of time going back and forth.

I have Googled it.All I have found is group tours. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,720
Not much left of the original road. I drove from Dallas to LA in 1967 and the memory of the road lives within me. Listening to Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf while driving in a new Chevy Impala convertible, cool memories, of a time gone by.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
There is a neat stretch that starts about 20 miles west of Albuquerque and goes at least to Grants (60 miles) and I believe all the way to Gallup. I think you can go from Seligman to Oatman in Arizona. The ride from Kingman to Oatman is fantastic - 15 mph switchbacks. There is lots in western CA too.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Yes, you definitely don't want to miss Oatman, even though it's really not a part of the "Classic" route 66 (Oatman was bypassed before WWII, IIRC.) Great road for a bike, lots of curves and scenery.

Plus Oatman is a funky little town with wild donkeys all over the place. Seriously, the donkeys just walk right up to you because they're used to having tourists feed them carrots (and the local shops even sell little packs of carrots for you to feed them.)

From my recollection, what exists of Route 66 in Arizona is pretty well "signed" but remember that most of the time what you will be on is a "frontage road" that runs alongside the interstate, which means it is about as much fun as watching paint dry.

BTW, if you do take Route 66 through AZ, be sure to stop at Winslow and go to Standin' on the Corner park.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I rode to Oatman last year,after riding the Mojave Trail.I got there just before the donkeys arrived in the morning.The way they came out,I wondered if they keep them pinned up in at night.

I've ridden 66 from St Louis to Albuquerque.I want to the ride the whole route next month.I got directions online (turn by turn) for the trip.But I want something I can download into my GPS.I may need to take them directions and plot it on my Mapsource program.But that would take a lot of time.Hopefully someone out there has already done it.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
ldbeemer
for HIM I ride

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle
I'm planning to do a Route 66 trip soon,and would like to have a GPS route.I rode about 1/3 of it years ago.It was a tough route.Not sure if you are on the right road or not,and sure wasted a lot of time going back and forth.

I have Googled it.All I have found is group tours. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.
I found this web site. http://www.route66university.com/maps/gmaps/index.php
last time I road it I did it the old fashion way, maps.
ldbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,059
This website has GPS information, though I have not used this site so I can't vouch for it:

http://www.historic66.com/gps/

This book has the old maps and detailed description of the old route and how to follow it:
http://www.amazon.com/Route-66-Trave.../dp/0312254172

I agree with the others here, the stretch from Kingman to Oatman is not to be missed. The Seligman to Kingman stretch is also pretty nice - very little traffic, the road is in pretty good shape, and you can visit the Grand Canyon Caverns for a little bit of kitsch.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut
This website has GPS information, though I have not used this site so I can't vouch for it:

http://www.historic66.com/gps/

This book has the old maps and detailed description of the old route and how to follow it:
http://www.amazon.com/Route-66-Trave.../dp/0312254172

I agree with the others here, the stretch from Kingman to Oatman is not to be missed. The Seligman to Kingman stretch is also pretty nice - very little traffic, the road is in pretty good shape, and you can visit the Grand Canyon Caverns for a little bit of kitsch.
Was the route easy to follow?Or were you always guessing if you were on old Route 66?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
cbbr
Super Noob

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle
Was the route easy to follow?Or were you always guessing if you were on old Route 66?
There are lots of signs that say "Historic Route 66". Its a pretty easy route to follow at least from LA to Ok.
cbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Found GPS routing.

I found good GPS route of route 66 at the below site.It has routing from earlier years also.Leaving Sunday.
http://www.historic66.com/gps/garmin/
Old 09-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 994
+1 on the donkeys at Oatman. Just watch out for the tar snakes.

Also don't miss the Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive in in Seligman.

Your best investment / addition to your GPS tracks would be to send the $12 on the "Route 66 Mad Map". That'll give you the entire route PLUS historical background and from there you can decide where you'll stop, what's the most interesting to you, etc.

Have fun!

My Year of Motorcycle Vagabonding Part B (Solo to South America)

MotoAdventureGal screwed with this post 09-20-2009 at 01:35 PM
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 994
+1 on not missing Oatman. Just watch out for the tar snakes.

Also don't miss the Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive in in Seligman.

Your best investment / addition to your GPS tracks would be to send the $12 on the "Route 66 Mad Map". That'll give you the entire route PLUS historical background and from there you can decide where you'll stop, what's the most interesting to you, etc.

Have fun!

My Year of Motorcycle Vagabonding Part B (Solo to South America)
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
VegasRider
Ya, I'm a n00b.

Oddometer: 296
Hoping on doing the Oatman ride before the end of the year. Did some RT 66 riding last year in OK, NM and AZ. The route from Seligman to Kingman is nice, well maintained and just a little quirky as shown here.
1991 Suzuki VX800 - "Vixen" (my "project" bike) In the process of being adventurized.
2004 Harley Davidson XL1200C Sporty. "Athena"
VegasRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Well maybe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbr
There are lots of signs that say "Historic Route 66". Its a pretty easy route to follow at least from LA to Ok.
What did you do at Albuquerque--east parallel to I-40 or north parallel to I-25 into Santa Fe? One is pre 1937 the other post 1937. Pre 1937 went up La Bajada on dirt which is still passable--well at least on my CRF. I know--when you come to a fork in the road--take it.
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #15
oktulsa17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Here are some maps, but not real detailed, although roads most have signs telling you where to go.

http://www.66maps.com

And here is a short day trip I took along 66 in NE OK.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477783
oktulsa17 is offline   Reply With Quote