Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #31
dogtiredRAT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
One small tip for a solo traveller...

Fine single malt scotch.
Carry a bottle of it at all times, two reasons, firstly, snakebite, and secondly... if you have a really good bottle of scotch, you are never alone, there is always some like minded individual to help you drink it, and even if you can't find someone, (never happened to me...) you still have the scotch to drink.

It is one hell of an ice breaker when you walk into another travellers campsite.

Oh, and get a hip flask too, and carry it at all times for "emergencies".

And for the love of all things good, stick some masking tape where it is in your vision on your bike and write something like: -
"-> -> ->STAY RIGHT -> -> ->"
I spent way way too long headed straight at a Silverado one day wondering just what the fuck he was doing coming straight at me on my side of the road...

And expect to have some close calls walking across the road, seriously, this is the most dangerous thing I did over there. Had two very close calls.
The bloody cars come at you from the wrong direction!

And being an Aussie, there are certain standards you must uphold, for example, after a hard night stealth camping, find the largest flashest motel you can and park directly at the front door, go straight in like you own the place and sit yourself down for a large breakfast in the dining area,

I also recommend a diet low in fibre and high in cheese for many miles of uninterupted travel.
While I am on the subject... carry dunny roll with you all the time.
How does a country with the greatest number of fat arses have the worst toilet paper I have ever encountered? Seriously, 2 and a half inches wide, 3 microns thick, locked in some tamper proof bloody toilet roll holder that dispenses approximately 2 inches of paper at a time...

And if your hankering for a decent burger... you won't get one over there, go to a burger place with a salad bar, and then you can dress it up with lettuce, tomato and beetroot.
I tried to teach them the gentle art of frying onions for the burger, but I may as well have been talking Swahili.

dog.
Ezekial 23:20
Duet 25:11
dogtiredRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #32
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtiredRAT View Post
I tried to teach them the gentle art of frying onions for the burger, but I may as well have been talking Swahili.

dog.
Ask for onion rings if you like them battered. Otherwise we call them sauteed. You could also order a "patty melt" which will come on rye bread with cooked onions, then just add the fixin's.

I know where to find some great burgers around here. Feel free to PM me if you're in Northern California.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #33
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Sellwood, Oregon
Good burger and brew.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #34
Kevinwithak
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
The scary decision has been made to throw caution to the wind, sell my house, buy another bike and go touring through the USA (hopefully for 1yr). The real-estate agent came for a 4hr meeting last Friday, and things are now in motion to make my dream become reality, and quickly I might add!

After a crappy past few years with mums passing, being in a relationship which was ruining my soul, a miscarriage, an horrific break-up, difficulty finding work, and always putting myself last, the restlessness has hit hard and it's time to do be selfish and do what #1 wants/needs!

The bike of choice is to be a BMW G650X Challenge which I will purchase here in Australia, prepare it completely for the trip, and send it over. Much of the camping and riding gear, tools, electrical stuff necessary, I have already.

I am intending to do the TAT, plus experience as much of the "real America" as possible in that time. Sure it would include visiting some major cities like LA, Washington DC, NY, blah blah, and some major landmarks along the way, but am far more interested in the more remote and interesting places. Being a country lad, I appreciate this far more than concrete and steel and meeting genuine people.

I wish this trip to be a cultural experience, seeing the true natural beauty, and leaving the usual stereotypes behind. I am well versed in travelling, camping for long periods with a bike, travelling alone (I'm an only child, hehe!), and am highly mechanically minded. In a nutshell, I know what's involved.

The bike would be arriving and departing from LAX if this helps, but would like to know which route would people suggest bearing in mind weather, safety, animals, etc? Being an Aussie, I have no experience riding in snow btw and don't mind a challenge, not certain of how to deal with local dangerous animals (snakes are easy duh!), and knowing many people carry guns does freak me out a little. I'm all ears to ANYTHING you can tell me!!

I have almost finalised my gear lists on OneNote which I will post up in the coming days.

Thanks for your time in advance and all of the help and advice offered. :)
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=123

dont sweat the gun thing. get off the interstate and stick with the old highway system. don't rush....eat well find what is unique to the city you visit. new york pizza, seattle hot dog ect. and fuck everything behind you and enjoy what is head of you.... "don't focus on how far you have to go. but how far you have come" enjoy your walkabout

cheers

-kevin in seattle
Kevinwithak is offline   Reply With Quote