Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #31
gs_lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
completely agree with post #26 by FredRydr..

By preemptively "farkling" your bike you will find out that most of the stuff you bought is basically useless.

The only way to decide if something is worth the investment, in my opininon, is through systematic use of the bike. The things you need will come up one by one.
gs_lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #32
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
My 2010 has done the Dalton, Ruta 40 and the White Rim Trail and other less famous off pavement places with the radiator and guard it got from the factory without a problem. So no, you don't need an aftermarket guard. Paranoia is good for Tourtec. Dave
One of the local guys rode his F800GS from Southern California down to Terre Del Feugo at the tip of South America and back. Never got a flat. Respectfully, using your reasoning, I suspect that all of us can get rid of those tire irons, spare inner tube, portable air pump and any patches. Since nothing happened to him, nothing will happen to us. :)

While racing at Glen Helen a few moons ago one of my racing buddies pulls up after a moto, limps over to a stool, pulls his boot off and his sock was soaked in blood. He actually poured a little blood from his boot. Seems some 450 had turned a rock into a missile, it streaked straight for his boot, and hit is with such force it opened his split his skin open down to bone. A guy in the club who happened to be a doctor treated the patient with a shot of Jack Daniels, couple of butterflys, some gauze, tape and sent him on his way. Keith raced the second moto, went home and later ended up at RediCare where he found out that he had a fractured tibia. So this rock had enough energy to fracture a guys leg through a Tech 8 boot. Hate to think what might have happened if had hit him in the chest, or the face. Good thing he was wearing boots eh? Given the right set of circumstances, rocks can be deadly to bones and radiators.

Recently at an industry sponsored dual sport ride, a local rider who writes for various national publications took out a farkled f800GSA (I liked the Flexx handlebars) and actually broke the Alt Rider skid plate. There are some who balk at adding skidplates but I can't imagine what the engine cases would have looked like if there was enough force to break and aluminum skid plate.

Last month coming back from a ride down to Mike's Sky Ranch in Baja, one of the riders (R1200GS) went down in a rocky section. A protruding rock on the side of the road completely smashed both exhaust pipes, pushed the crossover pipe up against the engine case, broke off one of those BMW aluminum head guards and mangled the "overrated" crash bars (saw that in one of the threads), screwed up some air sensor, tweaked the hand guards and so on.

Yes, all anecdotal, yet in some circumstances certain things guys put on their bike serve do a purpose even though it hasn't happened to you or me. I'd bet well over 90% of all riders will never have their head impact anything hard, but you won't find me riding without a helmet....and so on.

BMW makes the F800GS/A for many types of riding. Some never see the dirt, some get taken down fire roads, some go where they really shouldn't and in all of these situations the potential is there for things to go wrong. Both the radiator and the oil filter are forward facing components that if damaged in some remote area could have life threatening implications. Hell, who carries enough water to walk out of 100 miles of desert...I don't...water is normally in the chase truck. :)

I've crashed too many times while riding and racing offroad to believe for a moment that the impossible won't happen. Strategically placed components, "farkles" if you will (I dislike the word because if rings of 'unnecessary') are often what's between you and a long walk home. :)
GPHusky250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #33
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 728
it's a Cost/benefit/risk analysis.

I have the 13 and won't be replacing the stock plastic guard.

Here's why.

I've ridden enough woods/off road to know that it will probably stop 99% of the things that would could put a hole in it with it's current positioning. The 1% or extreme situation would be a full on empalment of a branch, in which case, I've had aluminum guards fail in protecting that scenario. The other risk is a full on tumble, in which case the guard won't do crap anyway.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #34
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
it's a Cost/benefit/risk analysis.

I have the 13 and won't be replacing the stock plastic guard.

Here's why.

I've ridden enough woods/off road to know that it will probably stop 99% of the things that would could put a hole in it with it's current positioning. The 1% or extreme situation would be a full on empalment of a branch, in which case, I've had aluminum guards fail in protecting that scenario. The other risk is a full on tumble, in which case the guard won't do crap anyway.
On the 13 you don't replace the plastic, the alum guard goes over it. FWIW
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #35
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 728
then I REALLY see no reason, if anything, it'll start blocking airflow at some point.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #36
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
then I REALLY see no reason, if anything, it'll start blocking airflow at some point.
I ran mine in up to 100+ temps all summer and no airflow issues. I suspect if a blockage occurs it will be because something hit it. Not trying to sell anyone on it, but I'm happy with my purchase and hope it never comes into play.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #37
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,609
Still using the stock guard with 37k miles.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #38
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 81
A bit of hard-earned knowledge for the OP - I've had mud accumulate around the radiator fan and completely prevent it from rotating. I don't think any radiator guard, OEM or aftermarket, will completely prevent this. Reach in from the left side, check moveability of the fan blades if a lot of mud accumulates. Also check after you use a hose to wash mud off the front of the radiator, since undoubtedly some of that mud got flushed back into the fan housing.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #39
moulin6801 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREWUPIN_D11 View Post
A bit of hard-earned knowledge for the OP - I've had mud accumulate around the radiator fan and completely prevent it from rotating. I don't think any radiator guard, OEM or aftermarket, will completely prevent this. Reach in from the left side, check moveability of the fan blades if a lot of mud accumulates. Also check after you use a hose to wash mud off the front of the radiator, since undoubtedly some of that mud got flushed back into the fan housing.
Great Advise !! Thanks!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote