ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
The Snake

Found the road quite by accident in very late fall last year whats it like during the 'season' how does it compare to the Dragon? a search returned no results

http://www.421thesnake.com/
fivetimeson129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,408
Yep I've been there.............Stick with that one. Not as much traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,840
I once rode to Shady Valley during July or August and the place was completely packed with bikes and cops had their speed traps set. I don't know if it was a special occasion or typical weekend.

I also did a ride in the fall a couple of years ago where I rode the area as well as Deal's Gap and some of the other area roads. It was wet and pretty deserted at that time while it was still pretty busy at Deal's gap.
My ride report is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834584

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
I've ridden to 421 as a long day ride destination from up in NW VA once. Ridden through there twice more on my way through the area. I didn't see much traffic or police presence during those trips.

I'd rate it as a worthy road to ride through if it fits into your route when going from point A to Point B, or as a day ride. I wouldn't make it a destination for a multi-day ride.

IMHO while it's a fun stretch of road there are better ones a stones throw away.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 201
I used to live near there and rode 421 pretty regularly. Now I'm about 30 minutes from the 129 overlook.

129 is tighter and more unrelenting. 421 is split into two halves the "Bristol side" and "Mountain City side". Generally, 421 is a touch more open, but there's houses, cross streets, gravelly spots, and other such hazards. Both are pretty heavily patrolled during the season. 421 isn't quite as busy and doesn't turn into the parade that 129 does. Hit either on a weekday and they'll be nearly empty.

It's a beautiful area with tons of great riding within a couple hours.

peejman screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 02:53 PM
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
I used to live near there and road 421 pretty regularly. Now I'm about 30 minutes from the 129 overlook.

129 is tighter and more unrelenting. 421 is split into two halves the "Bristol side" and "Mountain City side". Generally, 421 is a touch more open, but there's houses, cross streets, gravelly spots, and other such hazards. Both are pretty heavily patrolled during the season. 421 isn't quite as busy and doesn't turn into the parade that 129 does. Hit either on a weekday and they'll be nearly empty.

It's a beautiful area with tons of great riding within a couple hours.

Peejman described it perfectly.

I ride it very often.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks all for the replies, Klaviator; your review and pics were great.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
Hit either on a weekday and they'll be nearly empty.
The snake....

Good point............I think I was there on a Thursday riding to Rick's RDV.

Some bikes but it wasn't packed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.

Scotty P screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 05:18 AM
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
StorckWhip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I rode from Williamsburg, VA via the BRP to hit The Snake two years ago. It was a long day, but I got there at about 5PM and had some time to make a couple of runs up the Snake. It was great and I encountered no cars or police. I stayed the night in Bristol and, due to rain the next AM, skipped a trip back to 421. I'd do it again. I also went out of my way returning home with my wife from a trip to Asheville to hit The Snake in my Miata. Again, had a blast.

It's a worthy road, but I have favorites closer to home that are more fun.
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,499
19 May 2009

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I had some fun on that road a year ago. Michelin AC10 knobbies, keeping up with old British bikes, on wet pavement and low cloud ceiling when we made our way back to Blowing Rock.

I was spent when it was over. Even a night's sleep didnt reset it!

Not a cop in sight, and I can definitely say there are other roads in the area well worth traveling. Look around, 129 is a nice enough starting spot!
ob1quixote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
There's no telling how many thousands of miles I've ridden up there during the 6 years I was riding there. Shady dogs (steamed hot dogs) are fantastic. Mountain City side is more open than 129, Bristol even more than that. 19 through Stoney Creek reminds me of the Isle of Man (don't crash, period) and 133 to Backbone Rock is like the Cherohala with wide sweeping curves.

Go slow past the church on Sundays. On any given weekend you'll have four bikes or 100 depending on what's going on locally. Weekdays you stand a good chance of being the only one there other than the occasional local.

It's nowhere near the psycho squid parade that 129 is.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
There's no telling how many thousands of miles I've ridden up there during the 6 years I was riding there. Shady dogs (steamed hot dogs) are fantastic. Mountain City side is more open than 129, Bristol even more than that. 19 through Stoney Creek reminds me of the Isle of Man (don't crash, period) and 133 to Backbone Rock is like the Cherohala with wide sweeping curves.

Go slow past the church on Sundays. On any given weekend you'll have four bikes or 100 depending on what's going on locally. Weekdays you stand a good chance of being the only one there other than the occasional local.

It's nowhere near the psycho squid parade that 129 is.

I think you mean 91 through Stoney Creek, but yeah... that one has a few spots....
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #14
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Those who live anywhere near the area are fortunate indeed.. We were in an oversized vehicle at the time and those who passed us (I pull over each and every time possible when riders are behind) really seemed to be quite civilized, not one offered us any geological specimens.

Wonder if this is what the Dragon was at one time?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetimeson129 View Post
Those who live anywhere near the area are fortunate indeed.. We were in an oversized vehicle at the time and those who passed us (I pull over each and every time possible when riders are behind) really seemed to be quite civilized, not one offered us any geological specimens.

Wonder if this is what the Dragon was at one time?
I am about an hour away. I am sure that the Dragon was the same at one time.

Unfortunately- the great roads are very secret anymore. There are some AWESOME roads in the area with No traffic.

Quite often, I am reminded that I am extremely fortunate to live here.